Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Users Gather Here Please

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Dublin 5 here, also down since c. 12.00.............. :( very annoying....

The Ritzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Completely off topic but has anyone else noticed that Boards clock is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

clicksilver is back here in rathmines :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

it's back..with improved pings!!! Very much improved. I get 50ms to boards now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Same. But then again it is 2am; pings are usually OK at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

wow same here, its still disconnecting a lot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

9.20am, and downloads are back up to 50KB/s and over.

Pings: boards 50-60ms, jolt 47-57ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

tomk wrote:
    9.20am, and downloads are back up to 50KB/s and over.

Pings: boards 50-60ms, jolt 47-57ms.

I'm at work today, with no access the utv.support. Any chance those of you at home could periodically post speedtests/tracerts here throughout the day.
    It sounds a bit strange that we're all told to wait 'til the end of the month and then UTV just "flick a switch" to fix everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

post any news from the newsgroup too please :)

I had set up VNC on my PC and everything so as I could log into it from work and read utv.support... only to find that our proxy is smart enough to prevent ssh tunneling .... bleh

Stephen wrote:
    post any news from the newsgroup too please :)

I had set up VNC on my PC and everything so as I could log into it from work and read utv.support... only to find that our proxy is smart enough to prevent ssh tunneling .... bleh

OT - I can help you with that, Stephen, if you're interested - I'll start a thread in Nets/Comms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It was very late last night , and it is very early today , pings and speeds are always ok at these times , way too early to be getting your hopes up .wait till around 8 tonight or even earlier as is the norm . meanwhile you will have to make do with a post on newsgroup from charles .

John
    Support has received 2 other reports of 718 errors last night during the
    timescale that you mention, our internal systems did not flag any alerts so
    I've escalated these reports to our broadband supplier for investigation.

I will post back once I get an update.

Charles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Holy Mose's, There I was last night playing with my shiny new Clicksilver Broadband. Then I tried going online, kept getting "Error 718" cannot connect, or something like that.

This went on for a lot longer than an hour. Re-installed the ZyXEL modem to no avail. Went to bed around 1.45am [Very frustrated].

Got up this morning and I am back online.

I am not defending U.TV Internet ANYMORE. That's it I am mad as a March hare, but then again some tell me that I always was bonkers.

Maybe, I should change my name to "Bonkers" ?... :eek:

Yeah, it would suit you.

In fairness Paddy20 , I know the timing was bad an all that , but it is my first outage in a long time .

Here is an interesting concept , not mine but one taken from newsgroup , Thought the original poster might put it in here but seen as they have not I will add it without using their name .
    Sounds like UTV are stalling until they findout how many of the Trial Period
    users will sign up as FULLY PAID CUSTOMERS.

Their business case will be that there is no point in upgrading bandwidth if
    a large number of trial period users do not retain the service as when these
    leave there will be less contention.
    .....and as the service has been so bad lately, no trial user will retain
    the service ---- hence no upgrade is planned.

Kinda makes sense , even if the UTV customers are being hurt in the mean time . Not saying it is fact , just another angle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

jonski wrote:
    In fairness Paddy20 , I know the timing was bad an all that , but it is my first outage in a long time .

Hmmm, what do I know ?.

Sure I'm "Bonkers" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

jonski wrote:
    Here is an interesting concept , not mine but one taken from newsgroup , Thought the original poster might put it in here but seen as they have not I will add it without using their name .

Kinda makes sense , even if the UTV customers are being hurt in the mean time . Not saying it is fact , just another angle .

This makes no sense. I just signed up on the trial, and if the speeds are as bad as everyone is saying then I wont be continuing with it.

Now, whats the point of going to all the hassle and cost of giving a 3 month trial only to:

1. Annoy your existing customer base by not preparing for the usage increase
    2. Alienate your new customers by providing a sub standard service

They'd lose both existing and prospective customers if they did that.

jonski wrote:

Unfortunately John its that sort of attitude that continually gives comfort to UTV. (and I dont mean to criticise you personally in making that point)

Why should there be any outages at all? (Barring of course acts of God etc) why is it that only UTV customers say it is my first outage in a long time?

I dont recally any posts from IOL or Eircom customers comforting themselves saying 'its my first outage in a long time' Its less than 4 months since the last debacle and you would think that in learning from that episode that UTV would make sure there was never a bandwidth problem again.

I also cannot believe that any self respecting ISP would realistically ask its customers to hold on to the end of the month and everything will be grand.

dub45 wrote:
    Unfortunately John its that sort of attitude that continually gives comfort to UTV. .

Come on Dub , I am trying to comfort Paddy , he is just after signing up , he is too far away for me to give him a hug so this is the only way I know how .

dub45 wrote:
    Why should there be any outages at all? (Barring of course acts of God etc) .

Why is it that in catholic Ireland we always bow to the 'acts of God' , why is he allowed get away with it ? I say if I go to mass and pay my dues , then what exactly am I paying for , if he thinks he can come down here with his 'ramdom acts' he can think again . I will go and pray at the altar of Eircom instead , lets see how he likes that .

jonski wrote:

Why is it that in catholic Ireland we always bow to the 'acts of God' , why is he allowed get away with it ? I say if I go to mass and pay my dues , then what exactly am I paying for , if he thinks he can come down here with his 'ramdom acts' he can think again . I will go and pray at the altar of Eircom instead , lets see how he likes that .

Well John when I read in the newsgroup that Charles will be redeeming people it obviously put me in spiritual mode!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dub45 wrote:
    I dont recally any posts from IOL or Eircom customers comforting themselves saying 'its my first outage in a long time'
    Funnily enough, this post was made within half an hour of your comment.

Ripwave wrote:
    Funnily enough, this post was made within half an hour of your comment.

If you read the post though you will see that person is recommending IOL not comforting themselves as UTV customers have to do so frequently! Cant imagine too many UTV cusomers sharing that posters good feelings but it is nice that you were able to show us a happy customer with another ISP. I am sure anyone considering leaving UTV will keep his recommendation in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

what's the address for the new group please?

news.utvinternet.com

utv.support

You won't be able to access it unless you're connected via UTV.

dub45 wrote:
    Why should there be any outages at all?

Can we at least keep things realistic here, dub? Every ISP has outages at some time or another. If you can find one that guarantees 100% uptime, I'll race you to be its first customer.

In that context, jonski's comment is quite reasonable. UTV did not give any of us an expectation of 100% uptime, any more than any other ISP would.

We need to stay focused on the main issues here - bandwidth and ping times.

Here's my lunchtime update:

downloads still 50KB/s, ping to boards 60-80ms, ping to jolt 45-65ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

since the little bit of downtime last night, has anyone gotten bad pings/speeds? :confused: *me hopes im not speaking too soon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Wow, I'm glad that I went with IOLBB now.

andrew163 wrote:
    since the little bit of downtime last night, has anyone gotten bad pings/speeds? :confused: *me hopes im not speaking too soon*

you are speaking too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Paddy20 wrote:
    Holy Mose's, There I was last night playing with my shiny new Clicksilver Broadband. Then I tried going online, kept getting "Error 718" cannot connect, or something like that.
    Everyone on UTV got cut off with that error yet again last night. Not the first time it's happened either...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

jonski wrote:
    you are speaking too soon

I agree he is speaking to soon. When it gets busy tonight speeds and pings will be crap again. From what Charles said in the newsgroup this won't be fixed until the end of the month which is a disgrace. Lets all jump ship when or contracts are up.

Advertisement