Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Users Gather Here Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

mickger wrote:
    I agree he is speaking to soon. When it gets busy tonight speeds and pings will be crap again. From what Charles said in the newsgroup this won't be fixed until the end of the month which is a disgrace. Lets all jump ship when or contracts are up.

yeah,once the warez monkies realise its back it will crawl :eek:

its such a pity i changed that cap contract thing in march, if i hadn't i could get broadband soon, stuck with clicksilver instead :mad:

edit.........

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=2247ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=2792ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=2932ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=3272ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2247ms, Maximum = 3272ms, Average = 2810ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>

ah thats more like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

gone to **** early today !

C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=218ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=234ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=234ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 214ms, Maximum = 234ms, Average = 225ms

C:\>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Definately speaking too soon :(
    C:\>tracert www.u.tv

Tracing route to www.u.tv [194.46.8.120]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   155 ms   139 ms   149 ms  195.218.116.25
      2   159 ms   159 ms   139 ms  UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
     [195.218.116.1]
      3   119 ms   109 ms   139 ms  195.218.126.170
      4   129 ms   149 ms   149 ms  u.tv [194.46.8.120]

Trace complete.

C:\>tracert clarity.jolt.co.uk

Tracing route to clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   187 ms   199 ms   189 ms  195.218.116.25
      2   199 ms   189 ms     *     UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
     [195.218.116.1]
      3   187 ms   179 ms   209 ms  195.218.126.178
      4   269 ms   189 ms   189 ms  195.218.112.195
      5   189 ms   179 ms   179 ms  195.92.55.134
      6   159 ms   149 ms   149 ms  ber-1.r18.telc.as5388.net [195.92.55.156]
      7   209 ms   259 ms   179 ms  lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]
      8   219 ms   199 ms   209 ms  jolt-gw.nildram.net [195.149.20.126]
      9   139 ms   139 ms   146 ms  clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11]

Trace complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Has nothing to do with "warez monkeys" unless they all have synchronised watches and start downloading at the exact same time as each other every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That first hop ping time is - as ever - shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

PiE wrote:
    Has nothing to do with "warez monkeys" unless they all have synchronised watches and start downloading at the exact same time as each other every night.

I agree. Bad speeds and pings have started alot earlier than usual today. If only there was a way out of the 12 month contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tomk wrote:
    Can we at least keep things realistic here, dub? Every ISP has outages at some time or another. If you can find one that guarantees 100% uptime, I'll race you to be its first customer.

In that context, jonski's comment is quite reasonable. UTV did not give any of us an expectation of 100% uptime, any more than any other ISP would.

We need to stay focused on the main issues here - bandwidth and ping times.

Here's my lunchtime update:

downloads still 50KB/s, ping to boards 60-80ms, ping to jolt 45-65ms.

I wasnt in any way suggesting that there wont be outages - thats what I meant by the acts of god stuff - there will of course. My point was that no other customers of isps have had to comfort themselves by saying at least its a good while since the last one.

And my prediction is that you will continue to enjoy fine speeds and pings during the day so dont get any false hopes. Things wont improve during the evening time until the additional bandwidth goes in- at least thats if the last pattern is repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Stephen wrote:
    news.utvinternet.com

utv.support

You won't be able to access it unless you're connected via UTV.

bah, connected on Clicksilver and it says 404.

NeoSlicerZ wrote:

Are you sure you have it set up correctly? Its working fine at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

NeoSlicerZ wrote:

Put it in Outlook Express -> Newsgroups, not your browser :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

mike65 wrote:
    I remember when one of Scott Taunton, Malcolm Thompson, Martin UTVi and others were looking in here every few days now many here wont know thier names. One can only suspect now they have us in thier 12-month grasp they're no longer too bothered what we think.

Mike...You won't get rid of us that easily!

I confess that, for a variety of reasons, we have not been as active on Boards of late. That's not to say that notice isn't taken of the views here. Indeed, feedback from this group has been an integral part of our product development and service quality monitoring.

I'd like to apologise for the delay in getting our bandwidth upgraded. Unfortunately this has taken much longer from the date of order than would normally be expected. As we are dealing with a number of providers it can be difficult to speed up the process but I can assure you that the team here have this as their highest priority.

I will ensure that we keep our customers informed of progress but would recommend in the first instance checking our support newsgroup.

Again, apologies for any inconvenience during this upgrade process.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Scott thanks for posting (its not like you had too!) as you will have seen
    the natives are restless here and on the support newsgroup.

We really want to love you but feel like a scorned femme fatale right now wondering if we should give him another chance or just pull a gun! I don't want to leave UTV if at all possible as I still feel a residue of gratitude for UTVip etc. Its that goodwill you must protect, Clicksilver is brandname and has to be looked after lest it be tainted in our minds forever. No-one wants an Edsel!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I second that. Keep the communication going, keep us informed. You still have my business - it's a lot easier to keep it than it will be to win it back if you lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

mike65 wrote:
    Clicksilver is brandname and has to be looked after lest it be tainted in our minds forever
    Too late, already tainted.

Mike...You won't get rid of us that easily!

I confess that, for a variety of reasons, we have not been as active on Boards of late. That's not to say that notice isn't taken of the views here. Indeed, feedback from this group has been an integral part of our product development and service quality monitoring.

I'd like to apologise for the delay in getting our bandwidth upgraded. Unfortunately this has taken much longer from the date of order than would normally be expected. As we are dealing with a number of providers it can be difficult to speed up the process but I can assure you that the team here have this as their highest priority.

I will ensure that we keep our customers informed of progress but would recommend in the first instance checking our support newsgroup.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Scott it is good to know that UTV are avid readers of boards and to have your post however to use the word ‘inconvenience’ to cover the present situation is disingenuous to say the least.

On UTV’s own admission through lack of bandwidth you are not in a position to provide the service that your customers are paying UTV (in advance) for. And on UTV’s own admission you will not be in a position to supply that service for at best another fortnight. That is not inconvenience that is breach of contract.

Unfortunately your post reads like a bland press release and it gives no indication that you appreciate how angry people are at this situation

In the meantime you go on advertising the service and adding customers when you are knowingly not in a postion to provide what you are advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

...I'd like to apologise for the delay in getting our bandwidth upgraded. Unfortunately this has taken much longer from the date of order than would normally be expected. As we are dealing with a number of providers it can be difficult to speed up the process but I can assure you that the team here have this as their highest priority...

Just for the sake of clarity, could you confirm whether the bandwidth upgrade has actually taken place or not. Charles post on the UTV support group seems to contradict your post.
    ...The bandwidth upgrade that I posted about at the start of last month took
    place but due to ongoing demand did not resolve all the issues that have
    been reported here and directly into support...

daveyjoe wrote:
    Just for the sake of clarity, could you confirm whether the bandwidth upgrade has actually taken place or not. Charles post on the UTV support group seems to contradict your post.

Daveyjoe a bandwidth upgrade took place but it was not enough to cater for UTV's ongoing needs - another one will take place in about a fortnight (that seems to be the postion as best as I can understand it anyway)

dub45 wrote:
    Daveyjoe a bandwidth upgrade took place but it was not enough to cater for UTV's ongoing needs - another one will take place in about a fortnight (that seems to be the postion as best as I can understand it anyway)
    OK, I understand now, thanks.

For me , it's too little too late . If they had been reading and taking notice here all along they would have known about this and done something , pings have been rubbish for ages .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

............I will ensure that we keep our customers informed of progress but would recommend in the first instance checking our support newsgroup.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    Managing Director
    UTV Internet

Scott the only reason this thread exists is because we were getting very little utv support interaction in the 'utv' newsgroup, so recommending we check the newsgroup for info and updates kinda backs up dub45s assertion that your post reads like a 'bland press release'. So is this a bland press release or does your statement mean there will be more 'support' in the support newsgroup in future.

Look, I know the lads are stuck between a rock and a hard place in that if they have no new information and just repeat assurances, some people say, "same old blah blah" and if the lads therefore decide not to post anything until they have new information, you have other people giving out about no response from Utv. Speaking for myself, I would prefer 'the same old blah blah' posts from utv every once and a while even if there was no fresh info as at least then we would know we are not being ignored and that utv are aware of our issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Indeed, feedback from this group has been an integral part of our product development and service quality monitoring.
    Service quality monitoring? Is that the guy that goes through the newsgroup picking out the posts regarding pings or packet loss and putting them on the ignore list?
    This is going on since last year Scott, it's just one quick fix after another with promises of fixing everything thrown in along the way for good measure. At least this time around I can hope the fix lasts long enough for me to see out my contract.

Just received this email from Charles at UTV. I asked to be released from my contract and was stupidly expecting some sort of compromise offer. Nice touch by Charles, just pasting in a section of the t&c's and basically saying "there it is, you're stuffed mate".

Further to our telephone conversation and your further email to me yesterday.

Apologies for the ongoing slow speeds that you have been experiencing over the last couple of weeks, as I mentioned when we spoke yesterday we are implementing a bandwidth upgrade during the middle of this month that will address current speed and 'ping' issues.
    While we try to ensure that our ClickSilver service is available for all our customers as and when it is needed there can be times that the service may be reduced or unavailable [1].

When you upgraded to the New ClickSilver 24:1 service on 01/04/2004 you agreed to a new 12 month contract, we are unable to release you from this 12 month contact without charge.

If you wish, I can keep you informed, by email or phone, over the next couple of weeks as to progress of the bandwidth upgrade.

[1]
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc.asp
    15.1 We shall use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Service is available for use by you in accordance with the standards of a competent telecommunications service provider, but UTV Internet shall not be held liable for any delay, failure, interruption, or deterioration of the Service, howsoever arising

Charles McRobert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I'd nearly buy out the contract now at this stage to get away from this shower of wasters.

kin9pin wrote:
    Just received this email from Charles at UTV. I asked to be released from my contract and was stupidly expecting some sort of compromise offer. Nice touch by Charles, just pasting in a section of the t&c's and basically saying "there it is, you're stuffed mate".

Further to our telephone conversation and your further email to me yesterday.

Apologies for the ongoing slow speeds that you have been experiencing over the last couple of weeks, as I mentioned when we spoke yesterday we are implementing a bandwidth upgrade during the middle of this month that will address current speed and 'ping' issues.
    While we try to ensure that our ClickSilver service is available for all our customers as and when it is needed there can be times that the service may be reduced or unavailable [1].

When you upgraded to the New ClickSilver 24:1 service on 01/04/2004 you agreed to a new 12 month contract, we are unable to release you from this 12 month contact without charge.

If you wish, I can keep you informed, by email or phone, over the next couple of weeks as to progress of the bandwidth upgrade.

[1]
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc.asp
    15.1 We shall use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Service is available for use by you in accordance with the standards of a competent telecommunications service provider, but UTV Internet shall not be held liable for any delay, failure, interruption, or deterioration of the Service, howsoever arising

Charles McRobert
    I guess that would be the expected response from UTV but don't forget that your statutory rights take preference over any thing in your terms and conditions.
    i.e...
    Goods and services must be "fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought"

In my opinion it could be considered that online gaming is a purpose for which the clicksilver product may be bought but when Pings are above 200ms, gaming is not really a viable option.

Take a look through the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and see if you can find some more relevant quotes, personally I am going to give UTV until the 15th of September to clean up this mess. If I am not satisfied with the quality of service at that point I will ask to be released from my contract.

Well my 'bitstream port transfer ' form got faxed off this morning , so I expect not to be a UTV moaner by the end of next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

I suggest we all set a firm date by which UTV needs to have sorted out the problems, and if we're still dealing with the same old nonsense, then we all go, the same day.

UTV also underestimate how word-of-mouth affects their business. Several of my friends have asked my advice when looking for a broadband ISP recently, and I couldn't recommend UTV in its current state.

So notch up 5 new customers for Eircom and IOL, multiply that by the number of frustrated Clicksilver users, and that's a lot of lost business.

jonski wrote:
    Well my 'bitstream port transfer ' form got faxed off this morning , so I expect not to be a UTV moaner by the end of next week :)
    Nice one, may you be the first of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I suggest we all set a firm date by which UTV needs to have sorted out the problems, and if we're still dealing with the same old nonsense, then we all go, the same day.

UTV also underestimate how word-of-mouth affects their business. Several of my friends have asked my advice when looking for a broadband ISP recently, and I couldn't recommend UTV in its current state.

So notch up 5 new customers for Eircom and IOL, multiply that by the number of frustrated Clicksilver users, and that's a lot of lost business.

I agree. I was going to sign up for UTV broadband until I read this and now have decided to go for IOL instead. I think its worth the extra €10/month for broadband I can actually use..

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I just got clicksilver working after having the modem for 6 weeks (eircom kept saying the line was enabled, but never turned it on).

I willing to give the benefit of the doubt (well, it is free for 3 months), but I must admit that these posts are worrying.

I was downloading something the other night, and the speeds were all over the place - as low as 1KB, highest was mid 30's. Thats not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

I have been with UTV clicksilver for a few months now and had been with UTVip from the start. I have encouraged a number of friends and colleagues to join the telephony/dial up and a few to take the UTV broadband route.

The best download speeds I have been getting are in the region of 350KB/sec. I am more frequently getting 200-240KB/s. The best pings (MOHAA which is the only online gaming I do) are in the 90 to 130 range. UTV have told me that this is line quality issues in the area, and I believed them. But it is obvious from what I am reading here, that this is a service provider issue.

Are Esat and Eircom customer getting consistent > 480KB/S download speeds and what are their pings like.

Having read this thread, I am a little p**s*d off with UTV. I won't be recommending them any more. And although I would prefer not to, If this isn't sorted soon, I will also be taking my business elsewhere. (I would really like to see them trying to defend that clause in the contract in a court of law)

Advertisement