Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Users Gather Here Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

i've been getting horrible speeds and terrible pings in games anybody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Subc wrote:

Anybody else ? ....EVERYBODY ELSE !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Subc wrote:
    No mines been flying, pings of 40 and downloading at 52KB all day.

Sorry, typo: pings 240 and downloading 152kb :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Paul007 wrote:
    No idea what's going on to be honest, just fed up waiting.

Fed up waiting? Thats what its like being a Clicksilver customer at the moment! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after reading all the treads here about utv, taking a trip to their homepage is amusing but a deathtrap to the poor unsuspecting public who dont know the full truth! Knowing that their service has been useless for gamers since day one and barely tolerable on a hit and miss basis for surfers/downloaders, its all abit misleading really, they shud have their license suspended if they dont get their act together very soon.

No obligation free trial...
    We are so confident that you will enjoy the benefits of broadband, we are offering you a no obligation free trial with the following ...

After this promotional period, you will benefit from Ireland's lowest priced broadband service at only €29.99 (or €45 for Clicksilver Plus) per month*

In the unlikely event you choose not to continue with our service, simply contact us in writing...

CLICKSILVER, Ireland's premier broadband service offers users a super-fast connection to the internet giving speeds of up to 10 times faster than traditional dial-up modems.

CLICKSILVER offers you unrivaled service AND value for money!

• Advertisement

i want a refund

my friend in France downloads at 600kb/sec, no cap, free phone+free cable tv all for 30 euros, and we get 55kb max for 30 or 45 with a cap which doesnt even work

guys , are ye going out for pints at all ?.

I'm not used to pings being so bad on a saturday , usually ye all shag off out and leave me have the net to myself , whats so different about today ? , go on , out ye go and enjoy yer selves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Subc wrote:
    i want a refund

my friend in France downloads at 600kb/sec, no cap, free phone+free cable tv all for 30 euros, and we get 55kb max for 30 or 45 with a cap which doesnt even work
    Your post may be confusing for some people because you use two different terms which is an unfair comparison. Just to clear things up

512 kbps = 64KB/s
    600 kbps = 75KB/s

Of course in the real world the speeds you should expect to experience are between 85% and 90% of the above figures. The french example you give is actually less than 20% faster than Irish customers can expect. I agree with you that Irish customers are being ripped off but perhaps the way you presented the information exagerated this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Gonzo wrote:
    barely tolerable on a hit and miss basis for surfers/downloaders

Once again - can we have a reality check here PLEASE? Exaggerating the problems may make you feel better, but in the end it weakens the case we are trying to present.

Please review my previous posts in this and other threads for FACTS concerning Clicksilver download speeds.

Download speed right now - 33KB/s.

Here I am about to set the cat among the pigeons , nothing new there I suppose .

If this is all bandwidth and contention based then why is it that at quarter past one on a saturday morning i am seeing this ?

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=166ms TTL=55

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=202ms TTL=55

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=218ms TTL=55

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=171ms TTL=55

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=281ms TTL=55

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:

Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 166ms, Maximum = 281ms, Average = 206ms

As has been seen here on many an occassion I am not the mosh tech minded , but does this not point to something more than just a bandwidth issue ?

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Never heard of people leaving their pc downloading stuff while they aren't - shock horror - sitting in front of it? :) It could very well just be that.

Then again, it could be something completely different causing it. There's no way to know for sure without being a UTV admin..

Moriarty wrote:
    Then again, it could be something completely different causing it. There's no way to know for sure without being a UTV admin..

Indeed , good point .

So Scott , what do your guys rekon ?

Moriarty wrote:
    Never heard of people leaving their pc downloading stuff while they aren't - shock horror - sitting in front of it? :) It could very well just be that.

If it was just people leaving their pc downloading surely it would not be affecting everyone more or less equally? Not everyone would be sharing their connection with insatiable downloaders? and again if it was the downloaders surely other isp customers would be complaining every now and again?

Surely some of the tech bods on here must have an idea what causes the consistently bad pings on UTV?

Moriarty wrote:
    There's no way to know for sure without being a UTV admin..
    ......and they don''t give a sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

My new Clicksilver account was activated 22/07/2004. I am a bit confused as to when I will start being charged, as on the UTV Clicksilver page advertisement on the UTV Internet page it looks as though the trial runs out in September ?... :confused: , and I only got my modem working about a week ago, after it was replaced,due to the first one I received being faulty.

Which cost me a lot of time on the phone to Clicksilver support, plus about a week of fiddling with my computer - very frustrating.

This free trial offer is a bit vague ?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

is it just me, or is the utv.support newsgroup now utterly buggered? All new posts on it this mornin are showing up as follows in my newsreader:
    Error!
    newsgroup server responded:no such article number in this group

Perhaps the article has expired

<411624f1@ni-news.utvinternet.com> (12072)

Click here to remove all expired articles

Stephen wrote:
    is it just me, or is the utv.support newsgroup now utterly buggered? All new posts on it this mornin are showing up as follows in my newsreader:

I just posted about this in the newsgroup , it's now 4 missing in action . My error says they are no longer on the server .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

182kbit.jpg173kbit.jpg149kbit.jpg

If I'd wanted ISDN thats I'd have bought!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Does anyone know if, when my three months are up, and i cancel my clicksilver (which i can cant i?) can i still quailify for another trail from Eircom if i stick with them.
    eircom aren't offering a trial - they are offering the first 2 and a bit months of your 12 month contract for free. (Actually, people signed now get less that 2 months free - it's only free until October 1st).

While the "free trials" being offered by IOL and UTV are funded by a rebate being offered by eircom wholesale that is only available to lines that have never had broadband before, the terms and conditions posted on the eircom website for the Summer Surf promotion don't have any restriction on people who've already had DSL from another provider.

Downstream 119 Kbps (14.9 KB/sec) 128 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 31 Kbps (3.9 KB/sec) 33 Kbps (inc. overheads)

ahhh, that's great. Keep going this way and it will be under 56kb downsrteam.....DIAL-UP HERE WE COME!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

132 just now....

Mike.

UTV the only ones having this problem?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep, all other isps are fine, below is eircom results atm.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

Downstream 427 Kbps (53.4 KB/sec) 461 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 103 Kbps (12.9 KB/sec) 111 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Gonzo wrote:
    yep, all other isps are fine, below is eircom results atm.

C:\Documents and Settings\Barry>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=59
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 27ms

Downstream 427 Kbps (53.4 KB/sec) 461 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream 103 Kbps (12.9 KB/sec) 111 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Yeah yeah, rub it in why don't ya!
    :(

That bloody NTL thread is particularly infuriating at this sad time for us Clicksilverites - you would think they would display some sensitivity towards us at this time of of our ongoing 'incovenience' (to quote Scott) instead of gloating at their recently upgraded speeds. Who needs 1.5m anyways :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

UTV better fix this fast. Else I see a lot of business drifting away from them (pings of circa 220 to boards.ie now grrr... ). Near impossible to play online games.

Oh and about 1 out of every 4 packets or so gets lost.

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Near impossible to play online games.

near ? what kinda games you playin ? , I havent played online between 7 and 12 in about 6 weeks , ANY day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

NWN is still playable... barely (and i play on a yank server)
    WC3.. is still somehow ok. Lag in micro times this week has forced me to stop though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Good time to get the likes of Far Cry (just started this weekend, amazing fun) & Doom 3 (preordered) and get into the 1P action.

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

It may be the case that UTV have their extra bandwidth on pre-order from play.com. Can we expect to see it around the same time that the robo-postman delivers my copy of Duke Nukem Forever?

Advertisement