Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Users Gather Here Please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

This thread appears to be dominated by gamers. Other people use Clicksilver as well you know.

What about ordinary joe soaps like me. Who simply want to know how long their "Free Trial" really runs until ?... after only getting online properly from a week ago. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

hmm pings are down to the 50 range now :) I hope it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    hmm pings are down to the 50 range now :) I hope it stays that way.
    Wishful thinking, but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Paddy20 wrote:
    This thread appears to be dominated by gamers. Other people use Clicksilver as well you know.

What about ordinary joe soaps like me. Who simply want to know how long their "Free Trial" really runs until ?... after only getting online properly from a week ago. :confused:
    Indeed, it's probably dominated by gamers because they're the first (and worst) people affected when the network gets congested. If you'll only use Clicksilver for browsing/email then you shouldn't have too many worries bar the occasional slowdown or disconnection.
    No idea about the trial period tho, you tried ringing them? (crazy idea that it is) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well as a "regular" joe and occasional gamer, I logged on last night to do some surfing... oh what a hassle it was, especially as I'd just come back from my mam's house where eircom BB is installed - and whatever else you might say about eircom, their service is generally fast, stable and does NOT have the same problems associated with it that ClickSilver has.

The fact of the matter is that as someone else said, this is a breach of contract by UTV. We are paying for a Broadband service and we are not receiving it. Now of course I don't expect a flawless, 100% stable service all of the time (that's just not possible), but there are certain expectations of such a service (especially given UTV's own advertising) and this service has had serious ongoing and well documented issues since it's inception, which UTV management have acknowledged they are aware of but have still not managed to resolve - providing occassional vague assurances to it's customer base does not help matters, not does quoting T&C's to customers who attempt to raise this themselves! (not to mention the debacle that was the changeover to the lower priced contracts and how UTV managed to get an extra month at the old rate from EVERYONE as part of the deal - regardless of whether you think it was a fair business move, from a Customer Sat perspective I think it was a disaster).

Now despite all that, I have no doubt that UTV are doing the best they can however. The problem is - as I've said before - that they apparently have very little control over the infrastructure they are using and so I would maintain are not presently in a position to meet the expectations and requirements of the service and their customers.

Until this changes, I think there is a very good case for anyone who wants to be released from the contract - the goods are NOT (in their present form) fit for the purposes described (last night was like being back on 56K for me, and all I was doing was browsing). :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I encourage everyone to fill out the complaints form on the Comreg site. It might put the wind up UTV. http://www.comreg.ie/sections/complaints_form.asp

Yep, I've mailed Charles again this morning saying just this. Haven't reveived a reply yet, I expect it will be another link to the t&c's :mad:

I've also decided to be like the annoying child who say "are we there yet?, are we there yet?....." and mail complaints@utv every day with speedtests and pings and asking AGAIN to be released from the contract.
    Under their Code of Practice they have to "respond immediately outlining the investigation procedure and the resolution timeframes envisaged. " Hopefully they'll get so pi**ed off with me they'll release me just to get some peace.

Childish I know, but then I can't play games so I need something to do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Paddy20 wrote:

I'm an ordinary Joe Soap who just pays the bills every month who doesn't play games either. I do however have other members of the family who would like to play games occasionally but are frustrated by the constant poor quality service.

Every time a problem such as we are all experiencing at present arises it seems to take at least 6 to 8 weeks to sort out and then after a few months of tolerable service it goes belly up again.

I really am so sorry that I chose Clicksilver and would strongly advise any prospective UTV "Free Trial" customers to swallow their pride and go to Eircom.

I have requested info on contract release and await a reply with great interest. ( will post here when and if I get such a reply)

Aepos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Aepos wrote:
    I really am so sorry that I chose Clicksilver and would strongly advise any prospective UTV "Free Trial" customers to swallow their pride and go to Eircom.

.. or IOL or digiweb or..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just had a reply from Charles on the UTV newsgroup and got the stock answer mid month upgrade blah blah blah should be fixed by the end of the month blah blah blah :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Just had a reply from Charles on the UTV newsgroup and got the stock answer mid month upgrade blah blah blah should be fixed by the end of the month blah blah blah

Mail him back and ask will we all be compensated for the "inconvienience" (as it was referred to by Scott earlier in the thread), or ask do they mind waiting till "the end of the month" for this month's subs?

Somehow I doubt they'll be as dismissive with THAT query! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Actually, I imagine they'll be just as dismissive with that enquiry.

I will be asking about compensation, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

kin9pin wrote:
    Wishful thinking, but I doubt it.
    well it's fubared again, yep.. well and truely fubared. pings back to 220

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kaiser2000 wrote:

Now despite all that, I have no doubt that UTV are doing the best they can however. The problem is - as I've said before - that they apparently have very little control over the infrastructure they are using and so I would maintain are not presently in a position to meet the expectations and requirements of the service and their customers.

Until this changes, I think there is a very good case for anyone who wants to be released from the contract - the goods are NOT (in their present form) fit for the purposes described (last night was like being back on 56K for me, and all I was doing was browsing). :(

This is a situation that UTV have had total control over and they can blame nobody but themselves for the position they are in.

Although they knew that they had not got sufficient bandwidth they have continued to advertise and take on new customers knowing that they could neither provide the service for them nor keep up the service that their 'old' customers should be getting.

Now perhaps commercially it might be disastrous to turn prospective customers away - in the longer term they are hardly doing themselves any favours in that the new signings wont get a good impression of bb or UTV (to put it kindly) and as for their older customers well they are tied in I guess and maybe UTV are depending on that but one of these fine days NTL will be recruiting madly (hopefully anyways for us Dubs!). In a previous post someone mentioned customers drifting away methinks it will be more like sprinting..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Most of the time I don't have a problem with clicksilver.

However the last few weeks has been unreal. I've been working from home, and around 4-5pm my speed drops to 56k modem speed.

I've given up on the games for the moment as well as all I get is 200-400 ping, instead of 50.
    So I feel as long as the service works, in anyway shape or fashion where you can browse web sites and download files they are fullfilling their part of the agreement.

I am on the higher price service, and I can tell you the contention is not what I am getting. I pay that because I need it. I am not getting it, so no they are not giving me the service I am paying for. If I wanted 56k I'd get 56k modem service instead.

Edit: incidently, u.tv support groups are down, or my connection is so slow that I can't see anything.

Just for reference, I have access to a UTV dsl line in limerick and it's working away fine with downloads >50k/sec at the moment..

Moriarty wrote:
    Just for reference, I have access to a UTV dsl line in limerick and it's working away fine with downloads >50k/sec at the moment..

Who are you sleeping with at UTV?

;)

Downstream 91 Kbps (11.4 KB/sec) 98 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 104 Kbps (13.0 KB/sec) 112 Kbps (inc. overheads

oh, you mean 50kb/s, not 50KB/s?

No, 52kilobytes/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Moriarty wrote:

no mention of pings ?

Pings are dire alright..

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 206.3/236.0/264.8 ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

General speeds have gone to **** for me over the past few days. Used to be able to get 50KB/s download speed easily. At the moment if I use bittorrent with upload speed limited to just 11KB/s (I normally have it higher) everything slows down to an absolute crawl. Even without bittorrent running, speeds are generally only 15KB/s at the most :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 55ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 60ms

ping isn't that bad

Terra wrote:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=53

ping isn't that bad

Pings/speeds seem to improve after midnight so it's no surprise they're decent at 3am

Just posted this on the ComReg site ( http://www.comreg.ie/sections/complaints_form.asp ):

Over the past week, the speeds experienced on UTV's ClickSilver service have been more akin to 56k modem rates than the Broadband service it is supposed to be - this appears to be a country-wide issue and is NOT impacting other resellers of the eircom Broadband product.

Numerous complaints have been made but thus far, UTV's only response is that they are in the midst of a "bandwidth upgrade" for the past month (with no firm estimated time for completion) and their other response to customer complaints about this - and various other ongoing issues with this Service - is to quote T&C's.

I personally would put forward that UTV have apparently very little control over the infrastructure they use to provide this Service. As such they are not in a position to meet the requirements and expectations of either their customers or a broadband service in general.

I would further suggest that "the goods are not fit for the purpose intended". Therefore, UTV should offer either compensation to customers, or release them from their Contracts if requested - both of which UTV are thus far refusing to do.

Please refer to the following thread on Boards.ie for additional information:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177938&page=1&pp=20

...as you can see it's currently at 10 pages and increasing daily.

I look forward to any thoughts/information you may have on the matter,

Regards,

..Will let you know what (if anything) I get back......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Terra wrote:

ping isn't that bad

I know someone else has commented on this already but for gods sake it HAS been said over and over that the pings improve as the night wears on . Adverage of 60 at 3 in the morning is nothing to boast about , get me that at 9 @ night and I'll sing and dance for you . If you are not reading the thread then please don't make comments like this and it only add to the frustration .

John.

ps : and then again maybe he is just a wind up merchant .

jonski wrote:
    ps : and then again maybe he is just a wind up merchant .

I'm just surprised they managed to stay up until 3:20, I'd have given up long before that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I personally would put forward that UTV have apparently very little control over the infrastructure they use to provide this Service. As such they are not in a position to meet the requirements and expectations of either their customers or a broadband service in general.

This time though the problem is different it is a direct result of the fact that UTV have continued to take on new customers knowing that they had not sufficient bandwidth for both the new and existing customers. they are like an airline who consciously overbooked. So in this case UTV had total control over the situation.

But if the MD chooses to term this situation 'inconvenience' what can you expect I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Christ this company are so incompetent its annoying!
    I had been connected to IOL broadband before and when I tried to sign up on their site it said "Telephone number 01xxxxxxx can't avail of broadband at this time, contact support" or something similar.
    So I email the support and after waiting about 3 days for a reply I get this
    "You don't have to put the 01 part in the phone number, theres a drop down menu on the website for the area code" ??? WTF!! I used the drop down menu!! And that was it! Nothing else in the email! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of da

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=214ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=216ms TTL=52
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=218ms TTL=52

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% los
    Minimum = 214ms, Maximum = 218ms, Average = 216ms

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of da

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=52
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=211ms TTL=52
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=207ms TTL=52

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% los
    Minimum = 203ms, Maximum = 211ms, Average = 207ms

Every time Im losing packets as well as such slow ping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

At peak times it is very bad

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=261ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=226ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=260ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=53

Minimum = 226ms, Maximum = 311ms, Average = 264ms

I know they are the cheapest for broadband but is that an excuse for not providing as good a service ?

Advertisement