Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

when buying a second hand bike.how do you gauge a fair price.

Options
  • 03-08-2004 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi all.

how would you find the market value of a bike years back.
    i suppose many try to use todays market value.in a way
    is wrong.as it could of been cheaper back then.how much
    do you loose in value per x amount of miles.

you get the idea.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Do you mean the RRP of a bike from X years ago ?. Best option is search the web if its fairly recent, or owners groups for older machines, but the main question is why would you want to know ?.

There are no set formula for depreciation vs milage, it greatly depends on how the bike was looked after and what condition it is when you go to sell. I was told by a dealer recently that in Ireland the average milage is 6k for the first year and 4k per year after that. Any more and they'll knock 100s of the used price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 nednedned

i was just thinking of it.say every 5k or year.how much you take off the rrp.
    i know there would be wear and tear also.suppose its a very broard question.

cheers...........

Bikes generally dont depreciate as fast as cars do, the first 1-2 years is the biggest loss, but then it slows down after that (usually) its milage and condition that dictate value then.

Eg I'm trying to sell my 1200 Bandit at the moment, its in fab condition but because its considered high milage (40k in 4 years) its worth about 4k trade in as opposed to over 5k if it had only 20k miles !.

i see now.good idea to post it.you might get a sale.whats the insurance on a 1200.430 on my 600.thats living in meath.

True, suppose it cant hurt :-) the difference in insurance for me between a B6 and B12 was 50euro, the 600 is group 10 and the 12 is group 11 ya see.

Very different bikes to ride though. The torque of the 1200 has to be experienced !. (0 to 100mph in 7secs)

• Advertisement

crazy.i heard its a different bike altogether.i dont like the 600`s gear ratio.
    feels like the engine is going to pop out of the frame at about 60 mph or feels like your missing a gear.i had a vt500 for years.nothing beats a shaft drive.real smooth take off.no banging into first gear.whos the insurance from.

Hibernian, CN have always been way more for me. 28yr, max NCB, Limerick City. Fully Comp = 1150euro, thats a multi-bike policy, but would be the same with just the Bandit.

3pft 660 euro for the 1200.and no extra if i wanted to
    put the 600 on it also.cn also.

Advertisement