Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The quality of "DJ-ing" at CTYI...

Options
  • 03-08-2004 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

The quality of DJ-ing left a lot to be desired... He was ok at times considering he played some danceable songs. But no dance music... I can't understand it: 3 discos without any dance music. And before rockers retort, I'll have you know that discos are for dancing, not jumping around with flailing limbs. But fair play, I enjoyed the moshes too. Pity about the lack of decent dance music, I requested at least 10 songs and not one of them was played. So I'm posting this thread on behalf of all future ctyi'ers to petition for a decent dj for next years sessions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

jono087 wrote:
    Pity about the lack of decent dance music

Wait, hold the phone

Theres decent dance music? Since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Agreed. Theres 3 paths you can go down when in the djing business...
    1: Dance music-crap from a musical point of view, but discos arent about good music, they're about dancing and whatnot.
    2: Rock music-Hard rock is really all that works, moshable sh1te where you can't hear the words. (this isn't likely to happen in ctyi, because of the high chance...nay...inevitibility of broken limbs, loss of limbs/consciousness/life.)
    3: Cheezy Disco music-Crap from the 70s and 80s; no one can look good dancing to it, so everyone feels at home.

You can play one or a combination of all 3 of these, depending on the audience...in ctyi, I reckon it should be all 3.

Anyway... the point is that what you don't do is play crappy pop remix's. Not a lot of people can dance to 50 cent/Nelly etc., unless they are incredibly comfortable with themselves dancing, and confident in their ability to dance...and lets face it, ctyi isn't exactly packed with that kind of people.

So theres my two centsworth. Hope I haven't put everyone to sleep.

ps. as i have said in other posts, please excuse bad spelling and/or blatantly stupid remarks & statements.(I havent been sleeping too well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

*Swish*
    I'm with Aonghus. I already started a petition anyway. Doubt you'd agree with it somehow.... *snigger*
    Fair enough discos are for "dancing", that being very much the operative term for what passes for it in discos these days, but when people who go to discos and dance are very much the minority, like in CTYI, the guy would be killed for playing much dance music. He should be anyway for not playing more metal! Me and Matt gave him 120 CD's at the first disco and he wouldn't play anything off any of them! For christ's sake we had a pit-chant going for Slayer but he wouldn't play Angel of Death! Now I've got myself angry. Somebody get me his address!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

i really got the impression he played nothing but dance music well, that and pop. Also previous years the DJ has managed to give a good mix of most genres this year we only got good music at the last one and even then there wasn't much and only because Matthew won the 2 songs

I never said playing all dance was the ctyi option...

i just know too many skangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

Proper dance music wouldn't be a problem. Stuff like Basement Jaxx, The Prodigy, PVD, The Chemical Brothers.

Stuff like Dj Sammy and all those others reworking songs that were crap in the eighties and that are still crap now, I have a deep resounding moral objection against those

Proper dance music wouldn't be a problem. Stuff like Basement Jaxx, The Prodigy, PVD, The Chemical Brothers.

Stuff like Dj Sammy and all those others reworking songs that were crap in the eighties and that are still crap now, I have a deep resounding moral objection against those
    I second that sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

The sportugitaliards used to have proper beats blaring when you walked past the Hub. Bit of Chemical Brothers certainly wouldn't have gone astray. The student choices for the final Session 1 disco were fantastic as well - Radiohead and the Pixies.

I prefer Opeth and weird Al tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

buffalo wrote:
    The student choices for the final Session 1 disco were fantastic as well - Radiohead and the Pixies.

I agree with you totally, that's good music. But really it's not suiteable for a disco. Some dance music would be good because you an dance to dance music. Also i agree with whoever posted that pop song remixes are sh*te, well said.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote:
    The sportugitaliards used to have proper beats blaring when you walked past the Hub. Bit of Chemical Brothers certainly wouldn't have gone astray.

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Raphael wrote:
    I prefer Opeth and weird Al tbh
    Me also. I still have a pain in my neck from the 11 minutes of Opeth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

jono087 wrote:
    I agree with you totally, that's good music. But really it's not suiteable for a disco. Some dance music would be good because you an dance to dance music. Also i agree with whoever posted that pop song remixes are sh*te, well said.

You can dance to anything if you're determined enough. And if there's no one around to dance with, you can dance with a wall. That's what hardcore discogoers do.

You can dance to anything if you're determined enough. And if there's no one around to dance with, you can dance with a wall. That's what hardcore discogoers do.
    Hardcore discogoers also drink scrumpy jack, while driving starlet gt's around with 'scooters' latest album blaring from the massive sound system they've installe. All of this while defying gravity with the angle of their baseball cap.

Do you really want to be that person?

Again, I totally agree. You know dancing is better when your only with a wall because there's no possibility of better dancers tainting your rythm. But seriously dancing is a lot more fun when your with people...

pinkpimp wrote:
    Hardcore discogoers also drink scrumpy jack, while driving starlet gt's around with 'scooters' latest album blaring from the massive sound system they've installe. All of this while defying gravity with the angle of their baseball cap.

Ah, but they're not hardcore CTYIdiscogoers. I should have specified.

jono087 wrote:
    Again, I totally agree. You know dancing is better when your only with a wall because there's no possibility of better dancers tainting your rythm. But seriously dancing is a lot more fun when your with people...

You've obviously never seriously danced with a wall. I assure you - they're good.

pinkpimp wrote:

Ya, "boy racers" are always dance-heads, and btw starlet gts are called "glanza". But its a way of life, how else can you gain respect if not through a civic R with a 1000W Xplod stereo system... and your car done up to the bollix with engine mods??

Ah, but they're not hardcore CTYIdiscogoers. I should have specified.
    Yeah...You should have...

YE BOLL*X

pinkpimp wrote:
    Yeah...You should have...
    YE BOLL*X

Hey, CTYIdiscogoers are the only discogoers that matter, alright?

• Advertisement

Hey, CTYIdiscogoers are the only discogoers that matter, alright?
    Yes, but not the only ones that exist, alright?

pinkpimp wrote:
    Yes, but not the only ones that exist, alright?

Shush, if we ignore them enough they'll go away eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

i musr congradulate Matt on gettin Opeath palyed caue if he didn't my 5 mins of decide would have been in his words "a pile of boll0x".... instead we got over a quarter of an hour of steady moshin...

btw i agree that there should be a mix of genre's as its the only DEMOCRATIC way......

Shush, if we ignore them enough they'll go away eventually.

Didnt churchill say that about the nazi party?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

i think we're all in agreement that the djing was, to put it nicely, not the best.
    but why did you stay inside? outside was great. people were dancing(weird, yes but hilarious to watch), talking and we even saw Irwin, Niall O T and Elaine EATING A PIZZA!!!! It was exciting stuff. Well no it wasnt, but it was better than inside.
    Best part of disco.......YMCA, nevermores on stage. Oh the hilarity. I took a photo, but to my anger, it was underexposed! Evil camera shop, I'll get my revenge yet. When I'm world dictator......(oops, I mean democratic leader), I'll........
    *mumbles under breath about incompetent camera people.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

Raphael wrote:
    Didnt churchill say that about the nazi party?

Chamberlain, possibly.

Ah yes, chamberlain. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

i musr congradulate Matt on gettin Opeath palyed caue if he didn't my 5 mins of decide would have been in his words "a pile of boll0x".... instead we got over a quarter of an hour of steady moshin...
    But the thing is, Deicide are a pile of bollocks.
    But Opeth at the discos, I approve of. Still can't beat Carcass last year, or when they played Death Magick for Adepts in 2002. Ahh, memories

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vikki

the best way to enjoy yourself when the music is s**t is to get all your friends to do some ironic dancing in a circle... oh the memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Who cares abou the dancing anyway? We all know what really goes on at the discos. If ya get what I mean........;)

Advertisement