Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The quality of "DJ-ing" at CTYI...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

lol liz, what else do you think about?!

meh... the music cud hav been better, but it cud hav been a lot worse though.... and the discos arent really what cty is sposed 2 be about anyways, so...

xxx meeka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mr. scanger

The music wasn't the best, but he did play a few good songs even for dance fans like me.The best IMO (not counting the CTYI tradition crap) were:

The dance at the beginning of most discos - normally 2/3 tracks
    Shapeshifters - aaah the memories
    The Show - It's the type of thing you only appreciate when it's really loud
    Come with me - One of the best songs to play at CTYI.Me and one other person especially appreciated this
    And finally MANIAC 2000!!!My favourite song ever and he played it at the last disco coz I requested it, the legend.He threw it in near the end with all the CTYI stuff too.

Next year play the national anthem man!!!Lanlih always had to start it off, but well done to her she managed to pull it off every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

yeah, you so have to finish with the national anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Excuse me...tradition crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

hihi. yea i thought the DJ did play alot of crap. Even songs that had set dances that nobody knows for sum reason. SO no1 would dance.But it is hard to please every1 when u are a DJ.But he should have played a more general music tho. He played sum fuking great toons tho. Pixies and more which i cant remember now tho. But it could have been better with a better DJ.

wat happened to that Dermo being da first hobo DJer or sumthing petition?

• Advertisement

Go die quietly. Or learn to speak proper english. Either/or

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Raphael wrote:
    Go die quietly. Or learn to speak proper english. Either/or

As much as I agree with you, be nice to the guy. Its not his fault he's unable to type without reverting to text. Oh wait. *Realisation.*
    Perhaps it is.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

wat happened to that Dermo being da first hobo DJer or sumthing petition?
    I think Lee "Scratch" Perry filled that vacancy a long time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

Come with me - One of the best songs to play at CTYI.Me and one other person especially appreciated this

woooo! off my cd! glad to see i wasn't the only one dancing like some kind of thing that dances to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

He played Come With Me? As in the P Diddy/ Puff Daddy/ Big Idiot song? As in the song that sampled one of Led Zeppelin's best songs and destroyed it? Gah! I'm glad I missed that one.

I'd agree the muzak wasn't the best at the discos but I'm very surprised by just how much people didn't like it. As CTYI discos go I didn't think the music was so bad. And I'm sorry to all the Opeth fans, but that song just wasn't disco music. Fifty people loved it, the rest were driven from the canteen by it with their ears bleeding. Anywho, go cheesy disco music, a guilty pleasure is still a pleasure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Spog

It was bad, but tolerable in my humble opinion. He played alot of crap, but played enough good stuff to keep the slight majority happy. What i'd complain about was the order of things... he'd play 3 mosher songs in a row, and none for the rest of the night, put all the classics together and the rest was filled up with crap. I'm surprised he remembered to finish with American Pie at all... ON that note be happy - at least he didn't pay the crap madonna American Pie. That would be heracy of the highest order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

woooo! off my cd! glad to see i wasn't the only one dancing like some kind of thing that dances to that!

Does that mean that someone besides me made an effort to dance to the music at CTYI? Im shocked, everybody just seemed to not give a ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

HeyYou wrote:
    go cheesy disco music, a guilty pleasure is still a pleasure!

Listen to the man, he's taller and therefore wiser than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I started that petition. It was never going to work but I had nothing better to do on that particular morning. I think it was the day I went to the museum of modern art.... *shudder*

And cat, john and I refused to be the first signatries, and told you to sod off

And I became the first signatory, got about 120 signatures in the 45 minutes I actually bothered to try, and you three signed somewhere in the middle where it didn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Yeah the music at those discoes was incredibly crap.
    The real problem is that they dont honor ANY of the requests, theyve probly got their reasons, im not complaining.
    They need more dance, for the dancing
    more rock, for the moshing
    and less of that **** in the middle, it wastes time

john barry

(ned kelly was irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mr. scanger

HeyYou wrote:
    He played Come With Me? As in the P Diddy/ Puff Daddy/ Big Idiot song? As in the song that sampled one of Led Zeppelin's best songs and destroyed it? Gah! I'm glad I missed that one.

I'd agree the muzak wasn't the best at the discos but I'm very surprised by just how much people didn't like it. As CTYI discos go I didn't think the music was so bad. And I'm sorry to all the Opeth fans, but that song just wasn't disco music. Fifty people loved it, the rest were driven from the canteen by it with their ears bleeding. Anywho, go cheesy disco music, a guilty pleasure is still a pleasure!
    No, Special D - Come with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭skanger666

i dunno, they never seem to get the mix right.... I personally thought that had he timed the mix better i.e. had he not played all the rock in once little spurt of wonderful moshability (yes, I do make up words; that's how language evolves), and spread it out so that the mix went something like: mosh song, dance song, pop song, miscellaneous, mosh song, pop song, dance and so on and so forth, it would have been somewhat better.

That said, more rock wouldn't have hurt anything but my poor, almost broken neck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

No, Special D - Come with me

Woo I love that song!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feawen

I was surprised that it started with a dance enthusiast. There was some songs that were amazingly dance in the first one. But you have to agree, everyone has fun during songs like gay bar. Now, if you had... Middley rock, like Weezer I suppose. Then everyone would have a laugh. But I think.. that the majority is rock in CTYI. Dance just bores me in that situation... Where you don't see a point in flailing limbs in moshing, I don't see a point in bopping and flailing limbs to "ogi-ogi-ogi, oi oi oi".... Not being argumentative, just saying what I feel in the ctyi discos....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

great speech! youre a master debater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feawen

I think the term is "mass debater".

I also master bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

i disagree with everyone who said that people go to CTYI discos to dance,they go because there are RAs telling them to go back inside.except for that first disco when dermo the magic hobo told some interesting stories to me,sean,john and some others. ;)

Guys just jealous coz he didnt get a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

shut up aonghus.

stupid limited smilies,
    how come there isn't one depicting my face after impaling aonghus on a flagpole,oh wait here it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

I had nothing better to do on that particular morning.

yes you did. that was the day of the mass-gay-tiara-wearing photo-taking-opportunities.

photos to follow. muhahahah

I didn't spend a single disco inside for the whole time. You could always just stand outside. Who cares about the points?! I hate that whole goddamn system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Where you don't see a point in flailing limbs in moshing, I don't see a point in bopping and flailing limbs to "ogi-ogi-ogi, oi oi oi".... Not being argumentative, just saying what I feel in the ctyi discos....

That's not dance.. when I say dance I mean real dance: like apollo, special d., flip'n'fill, benni benassi, barthezz, most INC.'s, Felix da housecat and to a lesser degree daft punk.

I don't like teenybopper dance either, I don't think anybody does. Techno-, House-, Garage-, Punk-, and Electronica- dance is what I'm talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭skanger666

you like one of these kraftwerk ppl?

Advertisement