Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The quality of "DJ-ing" at CTYI...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

haha,remember how many people left when"the leper affinity" came on :p:D:p:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

I don't care who djs as long as no scanger music comes on, I get to scream Polka really loud , we get the proper anthem (Irelands call) and most improtantly we get mosh pit oppertunitys like the YMCA ok bad example but you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

but if you say that you dont want any "skanger" music then why shouldnt i be able to say i dont want any mosher music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

we get the proper anthem (Irelands call)

:eek: Rugger fan. Don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

we get the proper anthem (Irelands call)
    A short lesson on how to salute the National Anthem (The Soldier's Song, btw) wouldn't go amiss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunstorm

The piece of Phil Coluter ****e sometimes known as Ireland's Call is not and will never be the national anthem. In the unlikely event of it ever happening, I'm declaring Civil War.
    but if you say that you dont want any "skanger" music then why shouldnt i be able to say i dont want any mosher music?

Because skanger music is played at every disco across the land. CTYI should be the one place where we can escape the head wrecking banality that is the Irish singles chart. Besides, the majority of CTYIzens are rockers to at least some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sunstorm wrote:
    Because skanger music is played at every disco across the land. CTYI should be the one place where we can escape the head wrecking banality that is the Irish singles chart. Besides, the majority of CTYIzens are rockers to at least some extent.

I'm not :D

hell yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunstorm

I'm not :D

Did I say everybody? Nope, I said the majority.

Ignore me I just like being part of the minority in some stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

When u come to ur senses just convert to proper rock stuff!!!

Ill help u along in ,what i know, if u really need!!!
    Rock is mainly the best music. Joyce stfu bai rock is the way to go!!!

God i love this controversiality (if that is a word)(controversial-is the kind of term im loking for)

ROCK ON

God i love this controversiality (if that is a word)(controversial-is the kind of term im loking for)
    Controversy is the term you're looking for

And I wouldn't exactly call this controversy. It's a simple "My taste is correct, yours is wrong" shouting match. Once the tastes aren't "Capitalism" and "Communism", and neither side have nuclear weapons, it's usually pretty harmless

Tbh, you're free to like whatever music you like, and trying to force your taste upon someone is wrong. As for the DJ, if he doesn't play music that you like, then go sit outside, or ask him to play music you like. If he doesn't have it, provide him with a CD of it.

Just remember, you're one person, just because you don't like the music doesn't mean it has to be changed. If he's playing really crappy music that nobody likes, then everybody should go sit outside (he'll get the message when there's an empty dancefloor in front of him), or they should ask him to play different music. If you continue dancing, just moaning about how crap the music is to your friends, then nothing will happen.

Damn kids, if you want to make a difference then you have to put some effort into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

Nice1 man thanks for that. CONTROVERSY.....wat a kewl word. Yea but it sure is a hell of alot of fun cos so many people will disagree. And then we can have a big debate bout it and have fun taking the piss outa eachother....God ur speech was deep man. But each disco has a certain amout of time. And since ur there u may aswell try and have a good time no matter wat music they play at a disco!!! Its grand for a disco and stuff, ill put up with it. But i generally like to listen to rock meself!!!

I just like the crappy pop/dance crap they play on spin. That and Queen. Lots and Lots of Queen. Oh yeah and Michael Jackson *Does thriller dance*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Sunstorm wrote:

Thats because "skanger music" is the only danceable music, why would you want to just jump around like an idiot?!? (btw i occasionally enjoy a spot of moshing, I just prefer to dance to dance music...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

And I wouldn't exactly call this controversy. It's a simple "My taste is correct, yours is wrong" shouting match. Once the tastes aren't "Capitalism" and "Communism", and neither side have nuclear weapons, it's usually pretty harmless
    Do you have any other angles to argue from or draw parallels to?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vikki

i like rock music, but i know that a large number of people like pop/dance music. i suggest an equal number of dance and moshing songs. its the only compromise thats fair. even though i dont like pop or dance music, if only we all liked rock music... mind you then the world would be boring... the CTYI discos would rock though...

Damn kids, if you want to make a difference then you have to put some effort into it
    we did do something about it.
    at the first disco i spoke to the DJ and he said he wouldnt play any thing heavier than Nirvana.so we had a sit down protest.that didnt work too well so pierce matthias myself matthew holly and some others whilst sitting in the music common room marked a copyed c.d that had rammstein on it as "dance beats '03", which worked, i think.
    any way the collective efforts of every metal fan at ctyi resulted in the same DJ who vowed not to play anything heavier than Nirvana, played (of his own free will) Deicide at the last disco.
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

At the first disco me and Matt gave him 120 CD's and he refused to play anything from any of them. Therefore requests do not work.

At the first disco me and Matt gave him 120 CD's and he refused to play anything from any of them. Therefore requests do not work.
    Maybe if you'd handed him a single CD, he may have played it. He has other things to do than sift through a massive CD wallet, namely to DJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

article6 wrote:
    :eek: Rugger fan. Don't get me started.
    As the person Who started the "Irelands Call" as true national anthem movement I would like to make a few points

1. We are neutral, have protests about breaching it, yet our anthem is entitled "A Soldiers Song" and is about defending our nation. Irelands call is about pride in our nation, it is the same sentiments, yet generalised, not just purely militant

3. Hang on, wtf did 2 go???

4. Rugby may be the only sport that uses Irelands Call as an anthem, yet it is also the only sport where there is an irish team, not 2 northern and southern teams

5. It's a much better song, and the skanger population haven't got their greasy little mitts on it yet

2. Oh wait, there it is

Sorry bout the delay, wasnt on boards much last week

R4ph

Raphael wrote:
    As the person Who started the "Irelands Call" as true national anthem movement I would like to make a few points

1. We are neutral, have protests about breaching it, yet our anthem is entitled "A Soldiers Song" and is about defending our nation. Irelands call is about pride in our nation, it is the same sentiments, yet generalised, not just purely militant

3. Hang on, wtf did 2 go???

4. Rugby may be the only sport that uses Irelands Call as an anthem, yet it is also the only sport where there is an irish team, not 2 northern and southern teams

5. It's a much better song, and the skanger population haven't got their greasy little mitts on it yet

2. Oh wait, there it is

Sorry bout the delay, wasnt on boards much last week

R4ph

I second that. RUGGER FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

I challenge anyone who disputes the right of Ireland's Call to be sung as the National Anthem to a rugby match!

Not meaning to provoke an extended debate over that "national anthem" Ireland's Call, but in fairness it isn't really that inspiring, considering it was composed recently and has no relevence to our culture or history.
    Raphael wrote:

And actually our international rules team comprises a north and south contingent of players... But besides that ya, I do agree that rugby is the least sectarian of Irish national team sports.

Not meaning to provoke an extended debate over that "national anthem" Ireland's Call, but in fairness it isn't really that inspiring, considering it was composed recently and has no relevence to our culture or history.

And actually our international rules team comprises a north and south contingent of players... But besides that ya, I do agree that rugby is the least sectarian of Irish national team sports.

Yeah! Plus we get to watch hot guys! :D

Yeah! Plus we get to watch hot guys! :D

Well to be honest I wasn't coming from that angle, but I agree. Rugby is a good sport to watch, and indeed to play. But I still think that the national team should adopt the soldier's song as their anthem... as a matter of principle

The reason Ireland's Call is the anthem is because it's not militant and to use the Soldier's Song as the rugby anthem would be offensive to Ulster players with Unionist views. That's why Ireland's Call is used. It doesn't cause offence. I'm pretty sure that's why it was written actually. I like it better anyway. The Soldier's Song doesn't do anything for me TBH.

The reason Ireland's Call is the anthem is because it's not militant and to use the Soldier's Song as the rugby anthem would be offensive to Ulster players with Unionist views. That's why Ireland's Call is used. It doesn't cause offence. I'm pretty sure that's why it was written actually. I like it better anyway. The Soldier's Song doesn't do anything for me TBH.

Ok, the soldier's song was originally a rebel song, granted. But now, to me at least, it's a symbol of how far we've progressed as a nation in the past century. We are, remember one of the youngest countries in the world. If they really wanted to p*ss off the unionists they should adopt "Seán South" as the anthem! lol. And all the protestants/unionists that I'm friendly with don't seem to mind the soldier's song, rather they think it strange that the national rugby team has chosen to play a song with no relevence to any Irish people as its anthem. Better relevence for one "side" than none I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

so anyway, what are we going to do about the choice of music at ctyi next year?

we could always refuse to go in until they play a decent amount of proper music.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:

Aonhgus, youre an idiot.
    We are neutral and yes we did have protests about its breach during the invasion of Iraq.However netrality is defined as "Not aligned with, supporting, or favoring either side in a war, dispute, or contest. ".
    Therefore we can defend our nation in a war without breaking our neutrality as long as we dont join any other nations whilst doing so.
    The war referred to in "A Soldiers Song" is any of the battles for independance which were not a breach of our neutrality because of:
    1:the afore mentioned reason.
    2:we had not gained independance so we had no policy on neutrality.

Advertisement