Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The quality of "DJ-ing" at CTYI...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

only in a ctyi forum could a thread about the quality of music at a disco transform into (yet another) political debate.
    :D
    i cant wait to go back, session 2 2005 everybody,wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

jono087 wrote:
    We are, remember one of the youngest countries in the world.

*PedantAlarm v1.0 sounds* Not really. By the most conservative measure, about 60 current countries are older than Ireland, and about 130 are younger. Putting us in the top third. Sometimes we tend to ignore the colonies, or forget that we were among the first to win independence.

I agree with elephamt king about neutrality and Amhrán na bhFiann. Switzerland has semi-compulsory military service and they're still neutral. On the other hand, the pacifist young people of Germany have been protected under the US security shield for years.
    The Soldier's Song doesn't do anything for me TBH.

Ask not what your anthem can do for you. As I've said before, this will all be solved when the Northern Irish get their act together, realise they're stuck with each other and choose an anthem for themselves, like "Flower of Scotland". If anyone has already composed a Northern Irish national anthem, please send it on the back of a postcard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Therefore we can defend our nation in a war without breaking our neutrality as long as we dont join any other nations whilst doing so.
    Without the help of at least the British, we are screwed in an invasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

no we would just get another situation where we start snipin at em out of windows and stuff. Anyway... Can we get back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

This is on topic, we were discussing the music choice at CTYI, which included the fact that the national anthem was no longer played

Sniping out of windows and stuff? I assume you mean a guerilla war, and in that case, we'll just get bombed to ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Not true, Just get all the people with knives from Stab City and all the Skangers from our nations skangery Capital and We have a lovely little army who have been training from at least the age of 12 in skangery killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

what angus? like in iraq? where they bombed the place to ****? cos that worked and now there is no resistance whatsoever... You were right im sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

WOAH!!! HOLD THE PHONE!!! Okay so I know I've been a nevermore since 2002, but Amhrán na bhFiann wasn't played this year? Holy ****, get a new damn DJ! That, my friends, is disgraceful behaviour. It's part of CTYI just like Street Spirit or indeed AP, in it's own respected way. Do you not agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Not true, Just get all the people with knives from Stab City and all the Skangers from our nations skangery Capital and We have a lovely little army who have been training from at least the age of 12 in skangery killings.
    I don't think they'd be able to stop the entire Elbonian invading force by asking them for a smoke or if they could put their SIM card in their phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

ah, you're a true muckross girl....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Who'd want to invade Ireland? Come on, be serious please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunstorm

Joycey wrote:
    what angus? like in iraq? where they bombed the place to ****? cos that worked and now there is no resistance whatsoever... You were right im sorry.

Do you honestly think this feckless country has the level of resistance/willpower/downright lunacy of Islamic extremists?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

indupitably.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Sunstorm wrote:
    Do you honestly think this feckless country has the level of resistance/willpower/downright lunacy of Islamic extremists?

Have you never spoken to a skanger?? Lunacy. Theres no doubt about the amount of willpower we have (the whole ignorant anti-british attitude). We have millions of extremist fools who would gladly give their lives to protect this country. We'd have more resistance manpower and downright lunacy than those islamic amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Sunstorm

pinkpimp wrote:
    Have you never spoken to a skanger?? Lunacy. Theres no doubt about the amount of willpower we have (the whole ignorant anti-british attitude). We have millions of extremist fools who would gladly give their lives to protect this country. We'd have more resistance manpower and downright lunacy than those islamic amateurs.

I've spoken to/been randomly attacked by many a cluchie/skanger hybrid, but I yet to meet a pure bred. If we take the Vietnam approach to it (keep it going to thin out the idiot ranks) I'm all for it.

jono087 wrote:
    Who'd want to invade Ireland? Come on, be serious please!
    Anyone wanting to invade Britain, for a start. Which is one of the reasons they will provide air support, and generally back us up in areas where we are deficient, in the event of an invasion*

*I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

A small millitia of confused Americans, seeking leprechaun gold to replete their coffers and maybe allow them to buy that Soviet Army surplus nerve gas... or members of a historical recreation society who have taken it a bit too far and decided to entirely recreate the Normans arriving in Ireland... and this one is a bit more serious, but in a post-apocalyptic scenario, a British city-state that has Naval facilities wishes to expand its influence to ensure stability in neighbouring territories (this is what happens when you play fallout and read day of the triffids at the same time)

ah, you're a true muckross girl....

You take that back! That is an Insult of the highest degree of insultness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

that was the point... and you'll never be a muckross girl.. not until you stop calling it cofsoc.

IT'S COFFEESOC GODDAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

And why would I want to be a true Muckross girl?.........Actually, having said that, I may be getting Dubes..........I already have Blond highlites..........I do wear fake-tan/ bronzer...........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ITS HAPPENED!

I Elizabeth Claire Ahern Flynn do solemnly swear that I will spend the next year trying to become as un-Muckross like as possible even if it involves not stalking random 'zaga guys after school.

And btw, Its cofsoc.

Which is one of the reasons they will provide air support, and generally back us up in areas where we are deficient,

Areas in which we're deficient? That's probably everywhere... We can't even build roads, how can we fight a war?

Joycey wrote:
    what angus? like in iraq? where they bombed the place to ****? cos that worked and now there is no resistance whatsoever

In najaf the resistance could be severely damaged by bombing the sh'ite shrine.they wont because doing so would incite people to rebel.

Sniping out of windows?
    This (probably) wouldnt occur often in ireland in case of invasion because:
    1. Ireland has a rural population large enough to support guerilla warfare.
    2. because of the above,guerilla warfare wouldnt occur in cities as che said in his treatise on guerilla warfare that the countryside is favourable for guerilla activity as it is easier to move around unnoticed and that the support of locals is of utmost importance to the guerilla group.the arementioned support is easier gained in small rural communities.

Joycey wrote:
    You were right im sorry.

wow,i wish i was capable of making a sarcastic comment.
    oh,look,theres one now,yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hannahC

Undergod wrote:
    A small millitia of confused Americans, seeking leprechaun gold to replete their coffers and maybe allow them to buy that Soviet Army surplus nerve gas...

lol. I'm sure that'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

hannahC wrote:
    lol. I'm sure that'll happen.

...Well it might!

In najaf the resistance could be severely damaged by bombing the sh'ite shrine.they wont because doing so would incite people to rebel.
    Yes, the Americans seem to have caught on to this "hearts and minds" business. Now, if only they had caught on 35 years ago, Vietnam mightn't have been such a disaster
    Sniping out of windows?
    This (probably) wouldnt occur often in ireland in case of invasion because:
    1. Ireland has a rural population large enough to support guerilla warfare.
    2. because of the above,guerilla warfare wouldnt occur in cities as che said in his treatise on guerilla warfare that the countryside is favourable for guerilla activity as it is easier to move around unnoticed and that the support of locals is of utmost importance to the guerilla group.the arementioned support is easier gained in small rural communities.
    Contrary to popular belief, this country does have an army, and they will not just be handing out rifles to the civilian populace in the event of an invasion. Fighting will occur in cities and towns, as cities and towns are not just placed randomly, they are placed at important spots such as where roads or other routes converge, aka great places to block an advance by the enemy. Built up areas are also great levellers for armies. Armour is severely restricted in it's use, as an anti tank weapon (like the ones purchased a few months ago, the ones lauded as "baby killing weapons" :rolleyes: ) fired from above will pierce the thin roof armour of any tank.

Just because Che said it, doesn't make it gospel. Countryside guerilla warfare is fine for irregular forces like Che and his merry band, the Viet Cong, or the IRA, but is useless for regular armies. Plus, the largest irregular force in the country (the various versions of the IRA) has a history of siding with the people trying to invade (providing they're not British, that is)

Guerrila warfare is (usually) only used when the guerilla force is inferior to its enmies in one form or another so, as a rule of thumb, guerilla warfare is not practised by regular armies so even if is useless to them it doesnt matter

Guerrila warfare is (usually) only used when the guerilla force is inferior to its enmies in one form or another so, as a rule of thumb, guerilla warfare is not practised by regular armies so even if is useless to them it doesnt matter

True, guerilla warfare is generally practised in the event of the force in question being smaller or less-well-armed than their opposition. If you've a well trained, well equiped army then guerilla tactics are useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

lads, we're havin a debate on how ireland would defend itself in a war? what war? who'd invade ireland? no european country or america, any other country would call in a bomb from 1000 miles away. Fcuk knows what country would want to invade ireland and why anyway?

So anyway, dj-ing is pretty crap in ctyi?

Advertisement