Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Napoli - R.I.P.

• 03-08-2004 9:49pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two-time Italian champions and 1988/89 UEFA Cup winners SSC Napoli have been declared bankrupt, a week after being relegated from Serie B after failing to provide guarantees regarding their financial security.
    A Naples court made the order, saying that the club had debts of about €62m. Napoli could now request the implementation of a law known as 'Lodo Petrucci' which allows a bankrupt club to reform and start again at a lower level. It is still unclear if they will follow this route and start next season from Serie C1.

Napoli’s heyday came in the 1980s, when inspired by Diego Maradona they won the Scudetto in 1986/87 and 1989/90, as well as the UEFA Cup, beating VfB Stuttgart 5-4 on aggregate in the final. They last competed in Serie A in 2000/01, when they were relegated by a single point.

I found the above article quite sad really. It'sad to see a club go under and one of that size etc. You could compare Napoli to someone like a Middlesbrough or Leeds even!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well Fiorentina were an even bigger team , and thankfully they have reformed themselves and in a few years will probably be back in Serie A .

I hope Napoli go down a similiar route .

Italian football as a whole is going through rough times , and frankly I cant see them getting out of those rough times .

The whole league will be bankrupt within 10 years at the most .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yep, all Italian teams seem to be paying players silly amounts of money nowadays, in which most clubs cannot afford. And some of the players are primadonna's who only perform when they feel like it. There should be a huge clearout of players in that league.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Yeah it is a great pity, around 1990 they were one of the best clubs in Europe. As far as I know Fiorentina have achieved promotion and are once again part of Serie A.
    I recently visited Naples on my way to Capri and it is also a pity for the city. The whole place is a shambles but there is still a fantastic stadium. They still sell jerseys with Maradona's name everywhere in Naples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

As far as I know Fiorentina have achieved promotion and are once again part of Serie A.

ah , I dont take much notice of football in Italy because of the bordom factor :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Italy perfect example of big clubs being greedy and killing little clubs ,this all stems from the big clubs demanding their own tv deals and excluding the smaller teams.

3 years ago the league went on strike over it but a certain big 5 demanded cash for their games and smaller teams got nowt and that started the decline, then the new deal was done it was like 950 million short of the last one hence all the bgi clubs hitting money problems.

But hopefully they do a Viola Fiorentina and rebuild themselves.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement