Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To bleach or not to bleach?

• 03-08-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

that is the question....

Ok have never bleached my hair before (male)
    just thought i might do the top in kind of a darkish blonde?

what's the difference between frosting, highlights etc...?

I have shortish brown hair, wavy and very strong

Any suggestions as to what to try?best hairdressers 2 try
    (am in cork by the way)
    cheers

Comments

I went to Peter Marks in Merchants Quay a while back, got my hair highlighted copper colour. My hair was wavy and a their was a lot there but it turned out cool. Bleaching all your hair could turn out good or really bad. I would suggest just getting highlights, which is basically bleaching but every second strand of hair, so that it is not too much. If you get your hair straigtened and styled it will be cool. The hairstylist will guide who and will have a good idea of what will suit you. The cost of Peter Marks would be €70 or less. You also have to do a skin test to see if their colouring prducts will affect you, it is compulsory. A cheaper alternative is Toni & Guy on Paul Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

If you're intending to bleach everything (on your head!) I would recommend that you do it yourself it's pi$$ easy and you'll save a good few Eurobucks... I've used a kit a few times before by Jerome Clifford, you should be able to pick it up at any decent pharmacy.

On the other hand if you're intending to get highlights or frosting done go to a salon as the chances are that you'll cock it up if you attempt it yourself unless you fancy yourself as a professional hairdresser!

The decision as they say, is yours! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

If you're intending to bleach everything (on your head!) I would recommend that you do it yourself it's pi$$ easy and you'll save a good few Eurobucks... I've used a kit a few times before by Jerome Clifford, you should be able to pick it up at any decent pharmacy.

However on the other hand if you're intending to get highlights or frosting done go to a salon as the chances are that you'll cock it up if you attempt it yourself unless you fancy yourself as a professional hairdresser!

The decision as they say, is yours! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

As long as your hair is not too strong then you should be OK - I have blackish/brownish hair and I have to use two packs of hair lightener to prevent my hair turning orange ( instead of Ice Blonde, which is what it's meant to be - I would kill for Ice Blonde hair ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i got my hair bleached in june,it hurt like hell and,as my hair is black,the results were that my hair only slightly tinted to a darkish brown,very hard to notice,man was i pissed off....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Boy Gorgeous

Sometimes, when people bleach their hair, it turns out really white looking. Is that a case of using too much bleach or what's the story? I'm half thinking of doing it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

frosting is sheit(no offence,just personal taste), the only good bleaching is the block whole head type:slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I generally hate frosting or tips. All or nothing.

In terms of whiteness that depends on how long you leave the bleach in. I had slightly dark red hair, took mine about 50 minutes.

Invincibleirish - Did you do it yourself or get a hairdresser. Tbh I don't really understand how it didn't work. Remeber you have to cover your whole head, and leave it in for at least 40 minutes. Black hair will take longer. It should be fairly easy to judge. Imo it looks more blonde than it will turn out while you still have the bleach in. Maybe keep some bleach, and after you wash it out if it isn't blonde enough quickly reapply some.

In terms of pain mine I've done mine 3 times and it only hurt because I have scorises at the back and sides of my scalp. Didn't hurt at all on the top.

I generally hate frosting or tips. All or nothing.

In terms of whiteness that depends on how long you leave the bleach in. I had slightly dark red hair, took mine about 50 minutes.

In terms of pain mine I've done mine 3 times and it only hurt because I have scorises at the back and sides of my scalp. Didn't hurt at all on the top.

I'd say my hair colour is similar to how yours was before. My mates reckon it wouldn't suit me but I'm bored so I might still try it out. What type of bleach is good? How long would one use last? If your hair is short, will it only last a few weeks until your roots start growing?

Yeah, it will only last as long as you have the hair that was bleached, so your probably better off waiting if your hair is very short. A 5 blade should be ok. Depends on how fast your hair grows.

One thing to consider is your eyebrows. Don't bleach them cause it hurts like ****. If they are very red it might look a bit stupid with bleached hair, but tbh it wouldn't put me off doing it.

The bleach I've always used is Wella. Its a purple/blue box. Its the one with a mixing tray as opposed to the squeezy bottle. Its the only one I've ever used but I'm told its the best, only costs about €10. Don't be put off by the lady on the box, bleach is bleach.

The thing about being a guy is that if it turns out ****e its easier for us just to shave it off. Btw, just a note to say bleach can damage some peoples hair, so I wouldn't use it too often if you see any side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i had dark brown hair, and got it bleached all over (my head). the chemicals were quite sore as i have a sensitive scalp... but once it was done it looked quite yellow!! had to get something else put into it to give it a more blonde look. i also got the tips coloured red, but those faded out after a month or so.

Also, it is a very good idea to not have washed your hair before you bleach it. The longer you go without washing your hair, the less the bleach will sting. This is a fact :)

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the results will be dire.

it was done by my cousin who has done it for others and been succesful,i left it in for about an hour i think and when i washed it out all that had happened was a slight lighting to brown but nothing major,gearing up to do it again soon with the added advice of keeping it in longer and reapplying quickly if it does not work-cheers.

One thing to consider is your eyebrows. Don't bleach them cause it hurts like ****. If they are very red it might look a bit stupid with bleached hair, but tbh it wouldn't put me off doing it.

The bleach I've always used is Wella. Its a purple/blue box. Its the one with a mixing tray as opposed to the squeezy bottle. Its the only one I've ever used but I'm told its the best, only costs about €10. Don't be put off by the lady on the box, bleach is bleach.

My eyebrows are so light coloured, you'd barely even notice they were there. Cheers for the advice. Are there instructions on the box?

Yep, instructions there are. Its supposed to be used for highlights in long hair, so you'll get this cap and stuff. Disregard that and chuck it all onto your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'hey everyone i was lovely brown haired girl until i got greedy and decided to let my friend who is only finshed her first year of training bleach my hair all wen horrible.... and unfortunitly blonde was rottenne suggestions on wat i shud do?????? xx'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bleaching hair is a PI now? haha
    Go to the FAp forum (Fashion & Appearance)

i got my hair bleached in june,it hurt like hell and,as my hair is black,the results were that my hair only slightly tinted to a darkish brown,very hard to notice,man was i pissed off....

to demonstrate how old this thread is,when i typed this i had hair down to my shoulders,now in going bald,as is life.........

Advertisement