Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viera NOT gone?

• 03-08-2004 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

I just heard on the radio that Perez has confirmed that viera has signed. They said either a 4 or a 5 year contract. Can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

You know there is a thread on this allready

A spanish radio station said they have agreed a deal worth 23.1 Million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

L5 wrote:
    I just heard on the radio that Perez has confirmed that viera has signed. They said either a 4 or a 5 year contract. Can anyone confirm this?

[edit] I see this now

Its worth noting that Prisa, the media group that owns Diario AS and Cadena SER, has an investment in Real Madrid TV and is thought to be close to the Bernabeu outfit.

And you've spelt it wrong! :)

Its on sky sports

Linkage

Could be bull**** btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shocking , but tbh i dont blame the player, he wants to be as succesful as possible and realises to win the CL he needs to move away. But from last season i thought he would stick with arse to see if they could make the step up to CL winners.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Shocking , but tbh i dont blame the player, he wants to be as succesful as possible and realises to win the CL he needs to move away. But from last season i thought he would stick with arse to see if they could make the step up to CL winners.

kdjac

Thats rubbish. Madrid won nothing last year and were ****e in the CL. Why leave a team moving into a new stadium with some strong young players?. And after making history in the Prem last season??????????

Money is the reason :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Axel wrote:
    Money is the reason :mad:

true and Madrid wont even offer him a Gallactico wage , which means at the moment he's going nowhere .

umm doesnt a fee have to be agreed? If Arsenal wanted to they could delay the transfer by 2 days and it wouldnt happen.
    Madrid Big club , Arsenal not a big club, its the way of the world.

For some reason Arse are stil perceived as not one of the big boys.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Real have signed him then maybe the star-studded overwaged era is comming to an end.

Mike.

The way this transfer has been handled is a complete discrace.

Makes me feel sorry for united fans :)

Axel wrote:
    The way this transfer has been handled is a complete discrace.

Makes me feel sorry for united fans :)

agreed but a lot of them see nothing wrong with certain 'tactics' for obtaining players .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    agreed but a lot of them see nothing wrong with certain 'tactics' for obtaining players .

FIFA should be involved, which will never happen.

Anyone want to buy an Madird jersey? :p

Axel wrote:
    FIFA should be involved, which will never happen.

Anyone want to buy an Madird jersey? :p

Only if it has Viera on the back :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think it would be a big mistake for Vieira to go to Madrid. they finshed 4th last season and were rubbish in the champions league. Arsenal when the hole season unbeaten and i dont think they are far away from winning the Champions League. but it will be a huge loss for Arsenal and a bad move for Vieira. i thought he would of went for more the £23million. i cant belive David Beckham was more expensive then Vieira.lol :rolleyes:

KdjaC wrote:
    Only if it has Viera on the back :)

kdjac

Nope :p

What about an Arsenal jersey with Vieira on it? Free of charge! :D:D

Axel wrote:
    Nope :p

What about an Arsenal jersey with Vieira on it? Free of charge! :D:D

sure il take it . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mistake?
    I really don't think so?

Somebody tell me why Madrid aren't the best team in the world?

Anyone want to tell me they don't have an amazing attack

Figo Ronaldo Raul Beckham and Zidane

Defense is where they were weak
    which has been strengthed by Samuel and now Vieira
    and with arguably the best goalie in the world(he was a one man defense last year) they really are going to get back to domination

Arsenal still have yet to preform in the champions league and Vieira obviously doesn't think they ever will, and he has won everything but it.
    What would you do?

----

p.s. Price isn't just about importance on the pitch
    Beckham could sell jerseys like Vieira never will, thus Vieira isn't as valuable.

Raul had a terrible season last season , and Morientes or Portillo could easily take his place .

Beckham started the season well put was found out as time went on .

Figo and Zidane are very good players but they're ageing and both have probably only got 2 good years left .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

From what I heard, Camacho isn't Beckham's best fan. Vieira and Zidane in the middle with Figo on the right could mean poor ould Beck's is left on the bench.

Just going off topic. I was looking at soccerage to see what players Madrid now have in their squad. Have a look at this:

David cúnt (Beckham)
    Zinecunt Zidrane
    birth place: MFrogland
    nationality: Georgia

:D:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If this is true. That is a pity for Arsenal and football. They could have been on to something huge and then this happens...what a pity for football.

On the other side of the coin, we have Real Madrid in my opinion, forming a team that is going to come back to total domination domestically and on the European Stage...which is always pleasing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

According to www.soccernet.com

Clubs agree fee for Vieira - report

Real Madrid have agreed a fee with Arsenal for the signature of the London club's French international midfielder Patrick Vieira, according to a radio report in Spain.
    Cadena SER radio station reported that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and Arsenal vice-president David Dein have agreed a €35million (£23.1million) fee for the French international who is expected to sign a four- or five-year deal if the transfer goes through.

However, the report said that Arsenal had asked for a few days to line up a replacement - thought to be Porto midfielder Maniche.

Prisa, the media group that owns Diario AS and Cadena SER, has an investment in Real Madrid TV and is thought to be close to the Bernabeu outfit.

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

23 million according to bbc...

Ah well.. Maniche is being lined up to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Portillo is in Italy at the moment on a year long loan so not much chance of him takin Raul's place!
    Big Ears wrote:
    Raul had a terrible season last season , and Morientes or Portillo could easily take his place .

Beckham started the season well put was found out as time went on .

Figo and Zidane are very good players but they're ageing and both have probably only got 2 good years left .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The BBC are now reporting that the completion of this deal is imminent so it looks like Viera is indeed on the move. I'm surprised he is going and it will be interesing to see what effect it has on Arsenal in the year ahead.

Paddy is moving to improve his chances of Champions league success but he has hardly set that competition alight himself and I,m surprised he didn,t give it another year at Arsenal considering the season they had last year and the fact that they showed signs of improving their European form last season. Wouldn't it be ironic if arsenal won it this year.

Maniche of porto is tipped to be Viera's replacement at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Arsenal and Real Madrid are joint favourites for the CL this year according to the bookies and I think that's fair. Vieira has as much chane as winning the CL at Arsenal as with Real Madrid this season, I don't think that's the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Its going to be a big loss for The Gooners and it will interesting to see who have they lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

The source of all knowledge, The Sun, was today reporting that Viera has put his house in London up for sale. Looks like the end then. Feel sorry for Arsenal fans.

Boro wrote:
    The source of all knowledge, The Sun, was today reporting that Viera has put his house in London up for sale. Looks like the end then. Feel sorry for Arsenal fans.

good thats means he's keeping his house in London . :D

The thing im worried about is the BBC reporting it , they rarely have stories that are incorrected .

Big Ears wrote:

The thing im worried about is the BBC reporting it , they rarely have stories that are incorrected .

Its all come from one source, that radio station in Madrid.

btw Are you an Arsenal fan, Big Ears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Big Ears wrote:
    good thats means he's keeping his house in London . :D

Not sure about that, afair BBC ran a story that Gerrard was set to join Chelsea.

At the end of the day, the media drives alot of these stories and many follow suit, fearful that they will miss a scoop.

I wouldn't put anything down as written until Arsenal announce it themselves.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't think Arsenal will miss Vieira as much as people make out. They have just as good a record without Vieira in the team as they do with him and add Manice plus around £15m and I can see Arsenal being even stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Manice for 15mil? wud prob get for 10mil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I echo what Eirebhoy said, Veira only played something like 80% of the matches last season and they still did fine without him. Also, Wenger is the most astute manager in the Premier League, remember when he let go of Petit and Overmars for £30 million each? Everyone though that he was insane but look how they turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Totally agree with you eirebhoy. I have a very good feeling about Edu this season too. According to reports he played a stormer for Brazil against Argentina, I'd say Vieira leaving will inspire him to reach his full potential.

Manice for 15mil? wud prob get for 10mil!
    Sorry, should have made that clearer. If Vieira goes for £23m and they get Manice for around £8m, they have an extra £15m to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

this is great. it will be nice to see arsenal looking around desperately for a midfielder that can come anywhere near vieira.

charity shield on sunday, league the following w/knd. time is running out. vieira ONLY played 80% of games last year, lol. they wont miss him at all then, no need to buy anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I dont think Arsenal are too badly off as it is in midfield. Edu looks like a very good player (statistically Arsenal have won 70% of the league games Edu started - thats the highest of anyone in the Premiership ever, who has made more than 20 appearances -SOURCE: Sky Sports teletext, probably doesnt mean a lot, but I thought I'd through it in!).

The one questionmark over Edu is - was it Vieria making him look good. Gilberto hasnt looked very good. Its hard to imagine how a centrefield of Gilberto and Kleberson won a world cup - but maybe both will improve.

Arsenal have also purchased Flamini, who has looked very handy in the pre-season games, and they also have a tall black guy on trial from their feeder club in Belgium, who also looked very good in the pre-season game.

Vieria is the best in the business at what he does (defensive CM), but creatively and goalscoringly he was medicore. His replacement wont be as good defenisively, but maybe he'll go some way to making up for it offensively.

they also have a tall black guy on trial from their feeder club in Belgium, who also looked very good in the pre-season game.

lol! its arsenal, everone is tall and black! campbell, vieira, cole, henry, toure.....

Ashley Cole aint tall but other than that you're right :D .

I think Arsenal have decided to cash in on him. I dont think Viera actually wanted to leave and it wa just a matter of whether Arsenal wanted the 20 odd million or not.. I would think Wenger knows what he is doing to be honest.. The recent sale o Parlous and then Vierra suggests Wenger has a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

syke wrote:
    Not sure about that, afair BBC ran a story that Gerrard was set to join Chelsea.

At the end of the day, the media drives alot of these stories and many follow suit, fearful that they will miss a scoop.

I wouldn't put anything down as written until Arsenal announce it themselves.

But Gerrard *was* set to join Chelsea when they ran that story. BBC are usually always on the money.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    vieira ONLY played 80% of games last year, lol. they wont miss him at all then, no need to buy anyone.
    As I told you in another thread smemon, in the last 2 seasons Vieira has missed 23 premiership matches. Arsenal won 15, drew 5 and lost 3 of those. If he missed 5 matches and they had a good record I wouldn't be saying anything but 23 matches is definitely enough to judge how Arsenal do without him. Add Maniche and £15m to the squad and they'll be as strong as ever.

The reply you gave me when I brought this up previously was "statistics are there to be broken". Isn't that supposed to be records?

eirebhoy wrote:
    The reply you gave me when I brought this up previously was "statistics are there to be broken". Isn't that supposed to be records?

both really, before big matches you have sky saying how this side hasn't beaten this side away from home in 50 years or something. it suggests the away side doesnt have a chance, more often than not they win and make the stataholics look like fools.

point im making is arsenal may have done alright or better with vieira injured, but him not being there at all is another kettle of fish. he's the captain of the league winners, he cant just be replaced equally overnight.

id rather have vieira and no money than maniche and 15m. why do madrid want vieira if he's so replaceable and a worse player than maniche? would they not just go for maniche instead?

smemon wrote:
    both really, before big matches you have sky saying how this side hasn't beaten this side away from home in 50 years or something. it suggests the away side doesnt have a chance, more often than not they win and make the stataholics look like fools.

No its just a coincidence that it actualy happened this time.. After 50 years of saying "they have never bet them away from home", they have to be wrong the odd time You never get 50 out of 50..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:

But what about the 40 years prior to the 50th year when they say, they havnt beaten them in 10.....11......12....13.....39...40...49...and they are right. They dont look so stupid then do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Viera is the most important player in the Arsenal setup just like Keane is at Utd and Gerrard at Liverpool. Assuming he goes if they will miss him badly. To say Arsenal are just as good without him does his talent a disservice, of course they will miss him.

How the midfield performs determine whether you win or lose the game and players with Viera's calmness and quality are few and far between. Wenger will more than likely buy a suitable replacement but if he does not they will pay the price in the big games next season.

If maniche is as good as Viera why are Real not in for him and saving themselves £17 million?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Vieira is only human and like all humans will need to step-down, move on, retire at some stage - Arsenal would have to deal with that then. Now they are selling a player in his prime and at his most valuable - albeit they would prefer not to sell him but at least its happening at the right time. Arsenal - like most clubs - are bigger than any 1 player. ManU have continued on over the years after off loading some of their most influential players and I have no doubt that Arsenal will do the same

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Endorsed. There is no doubt Arsenal could still possibly win the Premiership, but whether or not they will or not is another thing. i would have my doubs. A lot will depend on how the likes of Toure and Cole cope with all of a sudden being the senior pros. Then again, he's not gone yet. I reckon that the business will be done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The Muppet wrote:
    If maniche is as good as Viera why are Real not in for him and saving themselves £17 million?
    Who said Real haven't already made enquiries about Maniche?

Bannor wrote:
    Who said Real haven't already made enquiries about Maniche?

Woop to the bannor...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Muppet wrote:
    Viera is the most important player in the Arsenal setup just like Keane is at Utd and Gerrard at Liverpool. Assuming he goes if they will miss him badly. To say Arsenal are just as good without him does his talent a disservice, of course they will miss him.
    Personally, I don't believe that. Vieira is the captain but I believe Campbell is more important, Arsenal's record with Campbell in the team speaks for itself, iirc Arsenal haven't lost a league match since Nov 02 when Campbell has been playing. I think after that however it is close between Henry & Vieira for second most important player. Neither Vieira nor Henry have the consistency of Campbell and typically neither rise to the big occasion to the same extent as Campbell (see Chelsea; Champions League Quarter Final).

Having said that, when Henry really plays, he is by far Arsenal's most crucial player. Neither Campbell nor Vieira played when Henry delivered Arsenal's best result last season with a virtually one man show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement