Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viera NOT gone?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Doesn't necessarily mean its true though. Bannor, you have already said before that Real and other clubs often use the media and various other intermediaries as a means to engage in tactics that that they wouldn't normally be allowed to employ themselves. This may be just another attempt to unsettle Viera and tip the balance of his decision in their favour.

However, I think at this stage, it would be better if he went. Does anyone still believe that he's really committed to Arsenal? I know I don't...

Bring on Cesc Fabregas. Your time is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I'm not suggesting it's true, just giving an insight as to why they would both carry the same story.

However people at Madrid are confident that Vieira will be a Madrid player before the Premiership starts and Wenger's comments last Sunday that the situation would be resolved one way or the other before next weekend. As I posted previously, the info I got was that the sticking point has been how the payment is structured. If that matter has been resolved then the deal will be concluded soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Bannor wrote:
    I'm not suggesting it's true, just giving an insight as to why they would both carry the same story.

However people at Madrid are confident that Vieira will be a Madrid player before the Premiership starts and Wenger's comments last Sunday that the situation would be resolved one way or the other before next weekend. As I posted previously, the info I got was that the sticking point has been how the payment is structured. If that matter has been resolved then the deal will be concluded soon.

Well Madrid claimed that Viera would be a Madrid player on Thursday and no sign of any news about it today.

Last night Viera's agent stated that he had not been in touch with Real Madrid and had spent the week carrying out business on another players behalf.

I find it really hard to believe anything that comes from the Real camp at this stage and until Arsenal confirm he's going I won't be believing any media stories.

If he's not a Madrid player by 5pm tomorrow I don't think he is going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Big Ears' rumour of the day: Patrick Vieira will sign new contract(with Arsenal) before the end of the transfer window .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh its looking good its looking good !!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3560576.stm
    Real 'drop Vieria bid'

Real Madrid have broken off negotiations to buy Patrick Vieira from Arsenal, according to reports in the Spanish media.
    Spanish newspaper As reported on its website that Real were unhappy because the fee for the player had risen sharply on Thursday.

Sources said the fee had gone up from 33m euros (£22m) to 38m euros (£25.5m) plus 5m euros (£3.4m) in bonuses.

Real first offered around £20m, while Arsenal reportedly wanted over £28m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

well, he is worth more than beckham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Big Ears wrote:
    Big Ears' rumour of the day: Patrick Vieira will sign new contract(with Arsenal) before the end of the transfer window .

I'm lovin' it......

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

why is it they were willing to pay £25million for Beckham and not Vieria???

WHAT KIND OF SICK WORLD DO WE LIVE IN WHEN MADRID PAY MORE FOR BECKHAM THEN THEY DO VIERIA????????

Dewey wrote:

WHAT KIND OF SICK WORLD DO WE LIVE IN WHEN MADRID PAY MORE FOR BECKHAM THEN THEY DO VIERIA????????

I know its crazy :p

WHAT KIND OF SICK WORLD DO WE LIVE IN WHEN PEOPLE CANT SPELL VIEIRA!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

The story broke tonight in the AS paper, one of the two papers with close ties to Madrid. The story basically implies that Arsenal had led madrid to believe that they were nearly agreed on a fee, even though Vieira was having second thoughts himself. Then, Arsenal turned around and raised the transfer fee by 5million up front and an extra 5million in "bonuses", while also turning around and offering Vieira a 2 year-extension to his current deal, on more money then madrid were prepared to offer!
    This means that Le Boss Arsene Wenger has played it perfectly.....either Vieira settles for a non-galactico status at Madrid(If Beckham deserves it, then Vieira definitely deserves it) and forces Madrid to up their fee by a good deal OR, much more likely in my opinion, Patrick Vieira signs an extension which when added to his current contract, means he will have effectively committed himself to finishing his career at Arsenal. Either way, Arsenal win.
    Honestly, if ANY club, even Man U or whoever, had turned around and had the balls to screw Madrid over like this, I would have cheered. But for it to be Arsenal....well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hes not worth more than Beckham.
    Jesus christ like.

He is better than Beckham, everyone accepts that, but he just isn't a galactico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

cheesedude wrote:
    He is going.
    Well thats me convinced.

LOL

It is just a thought.

Club captain Patrick Vieira has ended the speculation surrounding his future by deciding to stay at Arsenal Football Club.

The 28-year-old midfielder has explained to Arsenal.com that he was considering a move after eight highly-successful years at Highbury, but
    in the end, his ties and love for the Club were too much for him to leave.

“I am staying at the Club,” Vieira told Arsenal.com. “I’ve spent the summer considering my future and a possible move to Real Madrid, but my
    love for Arsenal and the ties which I have here were too strong for me to break.

“I am proud to be captain of the Club and I’m looking forward to achieving my football ambitions with Arsenal.”

Patrick also wants to thank the Club for their patience and understanding during recent weeks and his decision is purely down to his
    desire to stay at Arsenal.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

His face will be red if Real take the CL this year :)

That was a long drawn out media process for no reason now wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

That statement is bullsh!t. He didn't move because Real wouldd't cough up the money Arsenal wanted.(Desire to stay my ar$e)

Interesting to see
    1 The fans reaction
    2 The other players reactions

Its obvious he wanted out...

kida wrote:
    That statement is bullsh!t. He didn't move because Real wouldd't cough up the money Arsenal wanted.(Desire to stay my ar$e)

Its obvious he wanted out...

I'd say this is partly true.

I'd imagine that given the record of Madrid benching good players (makalelle etc) and their attacking style, which is more or less demanded by the fans, he wanted assurance that he would play a major role at the club if he went.

Their refusal to match the wages of Beckham et al there would probably have worried him that this would not be the case and considering he probably arguably has as good a chance with Arsenal as Madrid I decided to stay.

Big Ears wrote:

looks like you could be right Big Ears , and Arsenal are going to pay him a lot more than Real would have .(Big Ears' Rumour of the day)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Viera just announced he's staying, it's on the BBC website.

Viera just announced he's staying, it's on the BBC website.

Eh it was posted before, from Arsenal.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He's staying because Real Madrid don't have the money - Arsenal stuck to their demands of €20M up front and Madrid don't have that cash available. I had my doubts that they could buy both Owen and Vieira - great to see those arrogant feckers at Madrid now scrambling to find a replacement.

Pity that Benitez doesn't have Alonso tied up yet, but it'll be fun seeing Perez scrambling to build a bridge with Sociedad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Axel wrote:
    Eh it was posted before, from Arsenal.com

Well pardon the fuck out of me, just saying where I read it.

Well pardon the fuck out of me, just saying where I read it.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! So close! So very, very close! Why, Madrid? Of all the big transfers you had to go and mess this one up! They'll probably sign Van Nis now, to further my misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can someone change the title of this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Reports indicate that he couldn't agree personal terms with Madrid either. It contrasts slightly with his emotional statement saying that his ties to Arsenal were just too strong. :rolleyes:

Still, its nice to see that Real Madrid can't afford someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Bannor wrote:
    Pity that Benitez doesn't have Alonso tied up yet

****, and with him supposedly preferring madrid, that isn't good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

its still going to disrupt arsenal no matter what anyone says. he doesnt love the club as he was willing to go despite many attempts from arsenal to persuade him to stay.

he'll not be seen in the same light anymore at arsenal, dont be surprised if chelsea launch their attack at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    its still going to disrupt arsenal no matter what anyone says. he doesnt love the club as he was willing to go despite many attempts from arsenal to persuade him to stay.

he'll not be seen in the same light anymore at arsenal, dont be surprised if chelsea launch their attack at the last minute.

Chelsea could make it interesting alright..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

But Wenger insisted: ``There was no problem over money between Arsenal and Real Madrid and no problem over money between Real and Patrick.

``It was one of the few occasions in our sport that money has played no part in a big story like this.

``It was just a matter of what he wanted to do and we opened the door for him to make a free choice.

``It was a dangerous thing to do, I know, but it might have been even more dangerous to stop him and keep him if he was really committed to going.

``And I must say I had begun to have genuine fears that he would go. I had tried to stay positive with my own statements, saying I believed he would stay.

``But in the last few days he had looked determined and resolute - it had looked like we might lose him.

``So when he came to my house last night and told me he had decided to stay, it was a big relief.

``I had told him all along that he would maybe find it easier here to achieve new things than with Real but I can still understand how difficult it was for him to resist a new challenge like this.

``But I am certain he has decided to do so because he knows he has helped create something special at Arsenal and that there is more to come.

``He is fully committed to us and that is what I had to find out.

``Real Madrid are a great club and historically much bigger than us but, quite frankly, at the moment I don't see a big difference.''

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good to have some good news :)

We all know why the liar did not go. It is simply because he wanted a galactico salary but they would not give him one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

cheesedude wrote:
    We all know why the liar did not go. It is simply because he wanted a galactico salary but they would not give him one.
    Why? Because the spanish press say so? :D

In all likelihood we'll never really know for certain what Vieira's reasons were for staying. However I do think it's amusing how some people believe the tabloids when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Whatever Paddys reasons I am glad he stayed. Anyone that thinks him staying will be a disruption to the team really is living in cloud cuckoo land. This gives the team an additional boast after the good game they played in the Community Shield.

kaids wrote:
    Why? Because the spanish press say so? :D

In all likelihood we'll never really know for certain what Vieira's reasons were for staying. However I do think it's amusing how some people believe the tabloids when it suits them.

Eh no actually. It is fact. Real Madid do not give people with no marketing or defensive minded players glactico salaries. Just look who they have:

Ronaldo/Zidane/Beckham/Raul/Figo/Roberto Carlos and now Owen(the bloke with a friggen huge Nike contract)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

cheesedude wrote:
    Eh no actually. It is fact. Real Madid do not give people with no marketing or defensive minded players glactico salaries. Just look who they have:

Ronaldo/Zidane/Beckham/Raul/Figo/Roberto Carlos and now Owen(the bloke with a friggen huge Nike contract)
    That's very interesting. Where are the facts that show that Vieira rejected Madrid because of the above?

I wouldn't consider Marca or AS solid sources on this, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Who altered my thread title ? :eek: :D

Marca and AS are to Real what The Fox Network is to the Bush administration.

syke wrote:
    Marca and AS are to Real what The Fox Network is to the Bush administration.

some votes in the next presidential election............so thats how Perez won . ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement