Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York's 'Lady Liberty' reopens

• 04-08-2004 12:53am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For all those that did'ent know its been closed since Sept 11th 2001 (I know I did'ent)

Came across the story on the BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3529926.stm
    And after reading some of the speech quoted it kinda made me laugh alittle
    "To stay home and lock our doors is what the terrorists want",
    Yes maybe so but they did lock the doors of the statue which is also what the terrorists want, I could understand if they closed it for 6 months or maybe aittle longer while they installed the new security system but almost 3 years is just takin the piss.

I'm sure they'll also run background checks on everyone that visits it in the future...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

you know i didnt kno that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Cabaal wrote:

I'm sure they'll also run background checks on everyone that visits it in the future...

They are if i remember what i saw on the news, they do it before you even get on the boat to go over to it.
    Another reason why i never want to enter america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is good that it has re-opened. I was never in New York, but it is something we are all familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

heh heh and that was a present from france..ironic when you consider the childish way they acted when france didn't agree with them on the iraq war.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

They are if i remember what i saw on the news, they do it before you even get on the boat to go over to it.

Do you mean that they run background checks on people when they are
    q-ing up to get on the ferry to bring them to the Statue?

Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Now all right-thinking Americans can climb to the top, face East, and scream abuse at France for never doing anything for them. Huzzah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

vibrant wrote:
    Do you mean that they run background checks on people when they are
    q-ing up to get on the ferry to bring them to the Statue?

Where did you hear this?

Some news somewhere, would have been either bbc news 24 or euro news i'd imagine. I'm 99% certain i did'nt make this up [ if you know me, you know i never give assurances to anyone]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye the actual statue was closed when i was in NY last summer,but you could still go on to the island...the que for the ferry went through a big tent thing where the security checks were carried out,They also take everyones photo when going up the empire state building and ask your nationality :(

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Thats not much of a surprise really, they closed off most landmarks and skyscrapers to the public after 9/11. When I was in san francisco last summer I could'nt go up the transamerica pyramid, the army (!!) was also guarding the bottom parts of the golden gate bridge.

Advertisement