Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Last Rallying Call

• 04-08-2004 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, as I'm training for the rest of the day,then heading straight out to the game, I just want to beg and plead with everyone who is even remotely interested to get your arses down to Tolka Park tonight and get behind Shelbourne FC in their match against HNK Hajduk Split.

Kick off is at Seven O'Clock and the club kept 3,500 tickets for sale at the gates, so there should be no problem to get in. I know the match in on TV, but please, please don't let that put you off.

The atmosphere will be electric inside Tolka, and there will be supporters there from every Dublin Club, and possibly more.

So, everyone, head on down to Tolka for a great evening of everything that is Football.

Forza Shels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I'll be there

God luck to Shels :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Me too , gettin a few friends to head down as well. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Up the Chetniks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

come on shels , il be there in Tolka............through the comfort of my own home :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

seansouth wrote:

The atmosphere will be electric inside Tolka,

Forza Shels.

Your fans are an emabrassment to football.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Your fans are an emabrassment to football.

kdjac

WTF !! Can you elaborate on that ... I thought the crowd did a great job of getting behind the team, shels fans are not normally the most vocal, but the team were certainly lifted by the crowd last nite ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LizardKing wrote:
    WTF !! Can you elaborate on that ... I thought the crowd did a great job of getting behind the team, shels fans are not normally the most vocal, but the team were certainly lifted by the crowd last nite ...
    I don't know LK, he seems bitter about something. Either he wasn't in Tolka last night, or he's deaf and blind.

Granted, Shels don't get many fans to normal run-of-the-mill league games, but I think the fans are quite vocal, there just isn't that many of them.

But come on, credit where its due, the fans in the New Stand ( me included ) were superb last night. And fair play to everyone else who headed to the game to support the Champions of Ireland.

I was talking to a Bohs fan in the pub afterwards, and I thanked him for heading to the match to support Shels last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

It was a great atmosphere in tolka last night and shels thoroughly deserved to win, they were the better side over the 90 minutes. No for the pertinent question:

Should the depor home leg be played in landsdowne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Best performance I've ever seen by an Irish club side.

Its a gamble, but I think they should go with Lansdowne. They will get a lot of support from other Irish club sides, and they will get a helluva lot of support from Dublin junior soccer clubs, as well as plenty of Premiership supporters who'd like to see Deportivo play.

seansouth wrote:

Granted, Shels don't get many fans to normal run-of-the-mill league games,

LOL thats the funniest thing i have ever read, you hit nail head hammer there ,and vindicate my view that you are an embarassament to football.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

harsh words.

KdjaC wrote:
    LOL thats the funniest thing i have ever read, you hit nail head hammer there ,and vindicate my view that you are an embarassament to football.

kdjac

Right I can see you're trying to wind people up here .. however if that is the "funniest thing you've ever read" then you have serious humour issues :eek:

I mean the guy stated a fact that can be tagged to all national league sides , none of the clubs get packed grounds for normal run-of-the-mil games.. FACT

This is one of the reasons why their are not more full time professional clubs.

The Shels fans are very loyal and proud and are in no way an Embaressment , It is very difficult for Irish clubs to attract young fans with the massive draw that the Superstar Premiership players and teams have...

If I was you I'd be :o

KdjaC You are sounding ever more bitter, and I just cannot figure out why, I may be mistaken, but are you a Bohs fan? This would explain a lot.

Your club will be living in the shadow of Shels for the foreseeable future after our European run has ended, and we get the cash to dominate the league for the next few years. Perhaps you are a bit jealous oft this? Are you trying to tell me that the likes of Bohs, Rovers and St. Pat's get sell outs for league games?

The only club that comes close is Cork City, and the reason for that is that they are the only team in the city, while Dublin has Six clubs playing in the eircom League. However, this is a seperate issue.

The only embarrassment I can see is the petty ramblings of a disillusioned supporter of a rival club, who cannot see past his own jealousy and congratulate the fas of the successful club. Fair enough, you may resent the fact that Shels are successful, and will go on to be the dominant force in Irish football for many years, but that success is deserved.

The switch to the summer season has greatly contributed to this run Shels are currently having, and Shels alone cannot take credit for that, but there are other factors.

Shels, along with Bohs, Pat's and Drogheda embraced full time prefessionalism. We have put it to good use, the players are fitter, and play much more coherently together, this has also happened with Drogheda. It should have happened with Bohs and Pat's too, but we all know the story with Pat's. Also, Bohs are considering shelving the Full-Time thing, they will decide before next season if they will continue to be a full-time outfit.

I am without doubt that Bohemians should be the team challenging Shels at the top of the Premier League, not Drogheda, not Cork City either, I think they have better players, who with the right man in charge will become the team they should be.

I think he's supposed to be a St.Pats Fan ...

LOL good points sean but i would honestly say i have been to Tolka more times than 90% of Shels ,that leaves 3 Noel Paul and John who have been there more than me.

Shels are a complete joke, and im not bitter i would like Bohs Cork and all other EL teams to do well in europe but for their fans, they the ones who enjoy it and deserve it. Or have we forgotten we are fans of a club ?

Shels have no fans ,none at all ,they play Dublin City at home and are outnumbered! Rovers have no home for 12 years but still have more fans away than Shels, Rovers are crap Shels top of the league. Then you with your wonderfuly witty synopsis of all Shels fans "run of the mill league game" Its the league that got you a game vs Depor. Lets forget its the league that all our teams play in and as you say in other threads "good for El when teams win Europe" you then completly disregard any respect you may have gained with your "run of the mill" line.

This week Shels win a CL game and then ask for financial help from the Minister of Sport as they have to travel to Spain. Wonder how much Bohs begged for when they had to go to Estonia?

Kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

not a fan of Irish football at all but fairplay to the lads for getting to the 3rd round.

would love to watch them beat the spanish and get a a wad full of cash

KDJac .. seriously WTF are you on about.

LOL good points sean but i would honestly say i have been to Tolka more times than 90% of Shels ,that leaves 3 Noel Paul and John who have been there more than me.

You've been to tolka more times than 90% of shels , then you state shels have "NO FANS" .. I dunno but by your logic 90% of zero is still zero ...

Shels are a complete joke, and im not bitter i would like Bohs Cork and all other EL teams to do well in europe but for their fans, they the ones who enjoy it and deserve it. Or have we forgotten we are fans of a club ?

Again I fail to see the "JOKE" here , I just see a bitter , jealous St.Pats fan

Shels have no fans ,none at all ,they play Dublin City at home and are outnumbered! Rovers have no home for 12 years but still have more fans away than Shels, Rovers are crap Shels top of the league. Then you with your wonderfuly witty synopsis of all Shels fans "run of the mill league game" Its the league that got you a game vs Depor. Lets forget its the league that all our teams play in and as you say in other threads "good for El when teams win Europe" you then completly disregard any respect you may have gained with your "run of the mill" line.

Shels have got the biggest fan club membership in the country and have a solid fan base, with their European success they may well pick up some more regulars.

This week Shels win a CL game and then ask for financial help from the Minister of Sport as they have to travel to Spain. Wonder how much Bohs begged for when they had to go to Estonia?

Any Eircom league can ask for financial support or grants from the government, its not just Shels, I think if and its a BIG if St.Pats got to Europe they'd definitely seek any financial support ,especially in there current predicament.

You're a begrudger and its obvious , you have not backed up your wild claims with any facts other than garbled sentences and made up statistics..

Why can't you be like the majority of Irish Soccer fans (whomever they support) and appreciate the achievement Shels have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

KdjaC wrote:
    Shels have no fans ,none at all ,they play Dublin City at home and are outnumbered! Kdjac
    I really am confused here. Kdjac, I'm not an EL fan. Though to be honest, this was due to my ignorance, of which I hold my hands up. I'm from Cork, and I tried to get into it by going up to watch City a few times a few years back, but the standard of football each time I went was poor, and didn't excite me.

Now I went to the Shels game the other night, mainly due to seansouth starting this rallying call thread, and as TP is just a walk away from home for me. I thought, f*ck it. Let's go back the Irish. Let's cheer till we're hoarse because they have a good chance to do something here, and one more voice of encouragement in the crowd can hardly hinder.

And I was surprised. The standard of play from Shels was far superior to what I witnessed any time I went to Turners Cross. So now I've decided that when I can, I'll make my way over to TP to watch the EL games. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and think if Shels play football like that week in/week out, I'll enjoy backing them.

Right, I'm going way off topic here. I just think I've become an EL convert. Anyway, my main point to your quote is this. If Shels have "no fans" as you put it, who was making all the noise in the stands? Now, I know I was making noise, I was cheering and roaring. But there was an extensive group of people, starting and joining in chants - the likes of which you'd only know if you're a die hard regular follower. So explain how they've no fans? Please educate me, I must have missed something....

KdjaC wrote:
    Noel Paul and John
    If you are going to present an argument you need to produce facts my friend. I don't know anyone called Noel or John that go to Shels games, I do in fact know John, but I don't know if it's the one you are talking about, if I see him at the next game, I'll ask him if he knows any bitter and twisted Pat's fans. Oh yeah, you are all like that. Jesus, it has become clear now why you are acting like this....more than obvious. Maybe you and Pat Dolan could get together for a few beers, knock Shels all night?
    KdjaC wrote:
    Or have we forgotten we are fans of a club ?
    I have not forgotten that, no. It's well I remember I am a fan of Shelbourne FC, the one and only. But I also remember that the LOI is a small fish in the very large pond that is the European game, and would gladly support any of our teams in competitions, yes, even the Stains.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Then you with your wonderfuly witty synopsis of all Shels fans "run of the mill league game" Its the league that got you a game vs Depor.

My "run of the mill" comment was relative. Relative to the fact that near to 10,000 people turned up to the game on wednesday night, for a "non run of the mill" European Champions League qualifier, where a LOI team stood a great chance to make history and progress further than any other team from our league has ever done. "Run of the mill" simply referred to the fact that League games happen every week. I was in no way casting aspersions on League football, in no way at all, and I apologise if I came across that way.

Yes it was the League that got us the game against Dépor, and the fact that we are the best team in the League.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Lets forget its the league that all our teams play in and as you say in other threads "good for El when teams win Europe" you then completly disregard any respect you may have gained with your "run of the mill" line.
    sic
    I fail to see why you think I "disregard any respect" I may have gained with that line.

Of course it is good for the league when eL teams play and win in Europe. We get teams in to Europe every season, as does every UEFA affiliated national association, but it is bad for the league when teams simply turn up and roll over in the games they play.

Now I went to the Shels game the other night, mainly due to seansouth starting this rallying call thread
    :D Cheers dude, nice to know I helped, I did my little bit!
    And I was surprised. The standard of play from Shels was far superior to what I witnessed any time I went to Turners Cross....and think if Shels play football like that week in/week out, I'll enjoy backing them.
    LOL, I wouldn't get my hopes up!
    If Shels have "no fans" as you put it, who was making all the noise in the stands?
    The lads who were starting the chants and stuff were called the Briogáid Dearg, they are an "Ultra's" group. Not related to any violent group, just a group of lads who support Shels
    So explain how they've no fans? Please educate me, I must have missed something....
    I too am similarly confused, and I await a response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

KdjaC seems to have gone back into the woodwork. I'm still awaiting his return, upon which I'm sure he's going to impart his imperious wisdom upon me.

KdjaC seems to have gone back into the woodwork. I'm still awaiting his return, upon which I'm sure he's going to impart his imperious wisdom upon me.

Sorry for my absence was watching Cork thump Pats 3-0 in a run of the mill league game. Just under 3000 at the game last night , Sean 3000 and a league game , shocking well we are top of the league .....oh we not sorry we seem to be desperatley trying to avoid relegation!

To cap off Shels avg 400 to 600 every week whilst top of the league, last week they had "near 10,000" where are these people every other week. That is an embarassment to football somfin about a band and a wagon. Now about all us EL fans going YAY when we win in europe isnt that a bit hypocritical? These teams playing in Europe are our rivals? Why would we want them to win? I wonder if liverpool fans want man utd to win in CL next week so England does better....

As i said im not bitter i do want Shels to lose horribly ,preferably by about 5 at home to make sure the return leg is horrible ,wonder how many shels fans will travel to Spain 5-0 down?

kdjac

Advertisement