Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATi Tool Question

Options
  • 04-08-2004 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

If ati tool reports my 9800pro having a r350 core is that definite or is it possible I could have a r360 core?
    I’m not too keen on taking off the heat sink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

could be still possible its an R360. see the bios on your GFX is for an R350 so it would report to the comp as a 350. if you do end up having a 360 your gonna need to change the cooling on the card anyway cause the stock coolers are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Good to hear that. How difficult is it to remove the stock cooler, it's a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (on special on overclockers.co.uk a couple of weeks ago)? If I do get it off can it be replaced easily and would I need thermal paste to put it back on again. I presume an arctic cooler would fit this card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

There is a way to find out with ATi Tool.

under ati tool, click settings in the lower right hand corner
    under the Misc tab, hit Dump Bios
    open the bios file using notepad
    if its an r360 core, it'll say r360 in the first line, and it's one of the only lines that you can actually read
    it will also tell you the memory type

Pasted from http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=1350846&STARTPAGE=2&enterthread=y

It worked for me. Told me i had an R360...when the HSF came off, i did infact have a R360

[edit] Yeah, the artic cooler fits like a glove [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

There is another tool what i have seen yesterday for telling what bios you really have and memory as well- it is called Radlinker have a look on www.3dguru.com for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its www.guru3d.com btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Callan wrote:
    Good to hear that. How difficult is it to remove the stock cooler, it's a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro (on special on overclockers.co.uk a couple of weeks ago)? If I do get it off can it be replaced easily and would I need thermal paste to put it back on again. I presume an arctic cooler would fit this card.
    It's pretty easy to remove the heatsink. Just use a needlenose pliers or such. Use some acetone, isoprpyl alcohol (from any chemist) or something to clean off the old muck. I can't recall if the arctic cooler came with goo, but you could do worse than getting a tube of Arctic Silver 5. Someone here may even have an old tube to give you, as all you need is a little squirt. The Cooler works a treat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

I have a PowerColor 9800 Pro and fitted the Artic VGA Cooler last night. I also started to overclock using ATI Tool. Not sure what the default was but Im running at 410/370 at the moment. Thats not acurate - I will run it again tonight.

Best thing to do is get that cooler before u overclock. Its about 15 squid so why not. Its a breeze to fit. Just do as Adeptus said.

Let ATI Tool run for an hour or two to find best overclock.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, the arctic cooler comes with a tube of thermal compound. It has 2 speeds - slower (hotter) but silent, faster (cooler) but quiet, not quite inaudible.

By the way, I have seen a lot of posts on various boards about flashing a Pro to an XT. I couldnt really find exactly full instructions on how to do this

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to do this please? What software do I need and where do I get it?
    What advantages would come of this?
    I presume a higher overclock.

Is the core important?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Loobz wrote:
    What advantages would come of this?
    I presume a higher overclock.
    Not just that you also use the r360 shader paths which are faster/more optimized then the r350
    Loobz wrote:
    Is the core important?
    Yes otherwise you can't flash it to an XT and I *think* it may scrap the card, you afto remove the HeatSink and read the writing on the core to be 100% sure but AtiTool will also tell you what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Loobz wrote:
    Could someone tell me exactly what I need to do this please? What software do I need and where do I get it?
    Sorry forgot to mention :rolleyes: this thread should help you out.

Thanks for info. Will check that out. :D

Advertisement