Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a little weird

• 04-08-2004 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

after an epic struggle ive finaly gotten broadband, epic is the work for it alright.

in the end ive had to but a dsl modem just went for a cheapo one for the moment, but i dont know if this is normal.

i dont have a dsl filter at the moment, but it can take anywhere from 10seconds to 45 mins to never for the dsl signal to sync, and my speed is either 256 or 360ish(cant remeber the correct number atm), now i understand im a bit away from the exchange and i probably can t get 512(which is dissapointing) surly though it'd be one speed or the other and now changing, and what about the dsl syncing? anyone shed some light? im a little worried about my S/N ratio too, im getting parinoid its too high, what would be normal? mine is :

Upstream Downstream

SNR Margin 0.1 22.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 59.4 31.5 dB

thanks
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm surprised you get anything without a filter to be honest :s
    Although I'm not 100% sure on how they work, they are supposed to separate the line into a voice audible frequency, and a DSL frequency...

Without it you'll be fvcked if there's any interference on the line between your house and the nearest exchange!

Go get a few filters man! They're about 3e each I think, but jesus dont use an aDSL modem on a flat line :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

its just a tempery measure, what happened was i ordered in june, still no pacgage, so i rang yeaterday delivered 9 july, never got it, rang sds, sent back to eircom, rang eircom will send package again, so i bought modem just to be able to use it, the filter may improve things and give me back my phone as well, but as far as i was aware the filter just filtered out the dsl and phone signal, (demultiplexing?) i dint think it had any baring on the speed or noise level on the line,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

its just a tempery measure, what happened was i ordered in june, still no pacgage, so i rang yeaterday delivered 9 july, never got it, rang sds, sent back to eircom, rang eircom will send package again, so i bought modem just to be able to use it, the filter may improve things and give me back my phone as well, but as far as i was aware the filter just filtered out the dsl and phone signal, (demultiplexing?) i dint think it had any baring on the speed or noise level on the line,

I don't get squat if I don't use a filter. It must be doing some signal cleaning or something ....

i have a filter in now, and its still the same, but slowly gettin better,

this morning the dsl signal light(did yesterday with the filter) wont turn on, but im connected at 396k(my fasted yet)

im either cursed with a semi dodgy modem, or we can just blame eircom, thats easier! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

get a router so you can leave it connected all the time... no waiting for it to sync and so on (unless there's a power failure or something) then :)

• Advertisement

i could do but as its the one pc, this would be a waste of money and i have none to spare!!

but everytime it resyncs the speed changes, could take some time to get a good speed to leave always on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Erm... should there not be a filter at every used phone socket?

Also, connectoin speed can pretty much be ignored, it just shows the speed of the connection at the instant you created the connection. It will speed up/slow down over time.

The best way to measure speed is to download a file and see how fast it goes, or do one of them there speed tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gmt

DSL filters are placed between your existing phones and the wall where they plug in. They will eliminate any interference you may hear on the phone lines when using the internet. It doesn't have any impact on your connection speed.

Advertisement