Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 2000 Rapier Info please

Options
  • 04-08-2004 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of buying one of these because I am putting up a lot of miles at present. I am trading in a Skoda Octavia 1.6 GLXi '99.

The car is going to cost me 4000 euro with the Skoda.

Anybody out there driving a 406 like this. Just wondering what mpg and servicing intervals and cost of service. And is the price quoted by dealer good or bad.

It seems like a good car with a lot of extras. The skoda does about 37mpg so I am trying to work out is it worth changing.

Skoda 82K miles
    406 76K miles.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Don't have one but the main thing you need to check is that everything electrical works especially the air conditioning if it's fitted. Other than that look for a service history, afaik service intervals for these are 12,000 miles but make sure it always had synthetic oil. It's a HDI so should be good for ~50mpg depending on driving style. The only other thing that tends to go south on modern diesels (especially VW's) are the mas air flow (MAF) sensors, they cost about e150 plus labour to replace but most of the time all they need is cleaning, takes about 10 minutes and a can of brake and clutch cleaner.

Make sure the cam belt is changed too. They're particularly tricky and so cost a fortune in labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

thanks for the info.

Is the service every 6K or 12K. Maybe it is 6K on older models.

12k on HDI's but you've got to use fully synth oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well, my dad has a 99 HDi SRDT. It looks good, handles very well, and is generally a really nice car, especially for long journeys.
    It is very economical, my dad drives with a very light foot, but with both of us driving, it manages about 900 miles out of a tank, 58 mpg.
    I noticed that you didn't say whether it was an srdt or an stdt. The srdt has 90bhp, the stdt 110bhp ( and plenty more torque as well ). The difference is an intercooler and slightly better fuel injection. Its a big heavy car, so I'd recommend going for an stdt. The power band on the srdt seems to be 1750 - 3000 rpm, I dunno whether this is different on the stdt, but its much different to the old 1.9 peugeot diesels which needed to be revved.
    If it is an stdt, or if its an srdt and you aren't terribly concerned about performance, go for
    it. Check for a full service history.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful.

Thanks Alias, it is good to know that it is 12K.

Gerry it is the 110BHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Have to pipe in with gerry here (we be the peugeot diesel lovers here)

But it, love it, stroke it.

assuming the leccys all work and some sort of service history, buy it.

if its a 110 then definitely buy it.

(you may note a 110 406 is on my futures list, happy with my 405 turbo diesel for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

mijmu, what did you think of the octavia. I'm considering getting one. Have you tried selling yours privately.

Hi Zapata

I havent tried to sell it privately.

What did I think. I hate selling it. It is a brilliant car but I am doing quite a lot of miles (approx 600 a week) so I need a diesel.

I would recommend the Octavia to anyone but it is a little hard on petrol particularly on short trips. I drive from Tullamore to Dublin and then other days from Tullamore to Limerick and it costs about 75 euro a week. But if the wife takes the car and uses it for short trips to school and shopping it costs her 35 a week. I had no other problems with it.

The model I have is the GLXI and is 1999. It has some extras like alloys and electric sunroof.

But I would have no problem with buying another one and if I had been able to find a diesel I would have bought it. The 406 just happened to be available in the local garage.

Again thanks to everyone for their input.

Advertisement