Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gprs

• 04-08-2004 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    got a V600 last weekend but am unable to get the GPRS on it working.

Have confirmed that its set up correctly (got the settings off 02) but i still just get 'GPRS network unavailable' when i try.

Anyone else having similiar difficulty? (i'm in Glasnevin in case its an area thing)
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Well I've a SE T610, and I had the same problem with my phone. I'm on Vodafone, and I tried getting all the settings off the website, but that didn't help. Finally I went into one of the vodafone stores, and they told me that for some reason it hadn't been activated for me at their end. They changed something on their online services, and within 5 minutes I was able to use the GPRS services. So I'd say your best bet is to ring O2 and make sure that they have the service activated for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yeah as suggested - best check with O2 support directly

have a read of this thread for contact info or if you are still having problems after...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

and gone through all the settings over the phone.

no joy.

went into an O2 store yesterday and they couldn't get it working. they didn't give me any real answers as to why either.

they mumbled something about the GPRS system having problems and certain motorola phones having trouble connecting. they said they'd logged it and to come back into them next week.

so i'm not sure what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭BigMoose

It's almost certainly not handset setting related - if those are the settings you went through over the phone. You need to ask them about your GPRS / APN provisioning on the actual network. Get them to confirm that you are provisioned for the services you are trying to use...

If after that is confirmed it still doesnt work, sounds like there is a wider problem for them to look into. Can you try your SIM in a different handset that you know does work?

both by myself over the phone to o2 and by the guy in the o2 store over the phone.

all the settings have been checked and rechecked numerous times!!

i don't know what the problem is!!

as for checking my sim in another phone - this was weird. the guy in the o2 store was halfway through doing exactly that. but then he stopped and said it was useless cos his phone was a nokia bill phone - where as i'm a speakeasy customer using a motorola. so getting my sim to work in his nokia would prove nothing cos the settings would be different (the gprs settings for bill pays are different to pre paids). i was a bit puzzled but he wasn't listening to me anyway.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote:
    and gone through all the settings over the phone. no joy.

hi, re the linked thread They may have to enable [GPRS] data services on their systems specifically for your account before these services will work on your handset.... entering the setting on the phone is only one part of getting GPRS working for you, there are other settings the operator has to configure at their end - if they say it is all set-up asking that they "re-provision" GPRS for your account can sometimes get it running
    they mumbled something about the GPRS system having problems and certain motorola phones having trouble connecting. they said they'd logged it and to come back into them next week.

if there is a current issue they know about then you may have to follow their guidance - but make sure they double check you are set up right at their end

BrianG

Thanx for the help mate.

They are insistent that I am set up for GPRS, WAP and MMS on the network. I have confirmed this over the phone and its the first thing that the guy in the o2 store did.

To be honest, i think they just said the GPRS problem thing cos they don't know whats wrong. The girl in the shop said they have had one similar situation recently - and that was with a motorola v300. it was set up on the network properly, the phone was set up properly but the sim and the phone just didn't 'gel properly' (quoting the guy in the o2 store).

They said turn it on and off every once and a while and keep trying it. and call back in next week.

i don't think they have any idea what is going on with it!

next time you are in with them ask them to swap SIMs with a working handset (matching your account type - pre/post-pay) to try and rule things out

that tests if your SIM / Account is set-up ok for GPRS i.e. it should work fine in the other handset that they know is configured/working ok, if not then they need to look at how your account is set-up

they can also try their working SIM in your handset to check if it works - if it does, then again it may show your SIM/Account has a problem, if not it could be the phone configuration needs to be checked again or it may need updating

BrianG

Advertisement