Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments on Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Comments criticism, browser check etc etc on site, design, photography etc etc are very welcome

Nice site, nice photography!

Couple of things that strike me...
    • The first (splash) page is very graphic intensive, and seemed to load slowly on 2Mb DSL, so it may be a bit on the slow side for dialup users.
    • The Site Map is not something I expect to see on the first page, but rather something I'd expect to only go to when navigation has failed! You could introduce the property on the first page.
    • The inline images could do with some padding, as the text goes right up to the image border, at least in FireFox they do. E.g. on this page "All Guestrooms" (why the caps on G?) is right up against the left border of the image.
    • The navigation is split in 2, which makes it less intuitive. E.g. whats the difference between Enquiry (on bottom) and Contact Us (on top).. and I'd question the use of Languedoc and The Hacienda as menu items, as its not clear what they are without going there.
    Other than that, a nice clean site, good image use, well done :)

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It looks like you haven't set the image attributes (width, height etc) as it "jumps" while loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

Tnx for comments cgarvey:
    ya some nice pics in the postcard section.
    # The first (splash) page is very graphic intensive, and seemed to load slowly on 2Mb DSL, so it may be a bit on the slow side for dialup users.

I did have smaller image ie the Languedoc and france part, but client wanted it bigger.....
    However i have just optomized it more (knocked 25kb off!)
    The Site Map is not something I expect to see on the first page, but rather something I'd expect to only go to when navigation has failed! You could introduce the property on the first page.

Again clients request... am chatting about that at moment in fact

The inline images could do with some padding,

Done

Enquiry (on bottom) and Contact Us (on top)

Fixed

Thanks for comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

It looks like you haven't set the image attributes (width, height etc) as it "jumps" while loading.

thats true... because im using perhaps 4 templates for the whole site (english and french) i load in a picture for each page from a config file. Therefore the reason i did not specify attributes is because the images could be different sizes!

is it a myth or does it take the browser longer to load images without attributes?

tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

is it a myth or does it take the browser longer to load images without attributes?
    It's not a myth :D
    It will slow down the rendering as it has to redraw the screen once the images load (dunno how to explain it clearly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

blacknight wrote:
    It's not a myth :D
    It will slow down the rendering as it has to redraw the screen once the images load (dunno how to explain it clearly)

That and it reduces the textual content being redrawn all over the place while waiting for the images to load .. so on a slow link it makes reading the text very hard to do until the images have come down.

.cg

Advertisement