Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website For Best Loan Rates??

Options
  • 04-08-2004 10:53am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Is there a website out there where I could go to tell me what the current rates are for bankloans and that is Ireland??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yop wrote:
    Lads

Is there a website out there where I could go to tell me what the current rates are for bankloans and that is Ireland??

thanks

Prima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

You might also want to check with your local credit union - depending on what the amount is. Fair to say that it probably won't have a rate up on t'internet and you might have to make a call or two, but could work out a lot cheaper - AFAIK the max they can charge is an APR of 12.7%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thanks for ur help lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You might also want to check with your local credit union - depending on what the amount is. Fair to say that it probably won't have a rate up on t'internet and you might have to make a call or two, but could work out a lot cheaper - AFAIK the max they can charge is an APR of 12.7%
    Credit Union rates are not always as good value as they appear. They usually require you to keep a proportion of the loan (25% or 33%) on deposit with them. So they are loaning you money at 8%-9% while paying you 2%-3% on your deposits.

For example, if you have 3k in savings and you want to buy a 10k car, you will go to your bank looking for a 7k loan. But if you go to your CU, you will probably have to borrow the full 10k, while keeping the 3k on deposit. So you should really compare the total interest paid to the bank on the 7k loan to the total interest paid to the CU on the 10k loan less the interest earned on your 3k savings.

Do the sums to work out the actual figures for your own particular case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Very possibly true. Banks, however, are utter c**ts in general. With the CU, assuming you can afford a scenario like you outline, you're not contributing to the banks bottom line - the CU tends to give more back to the community.

</Pinko mode>

Advertisement