Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving in the north

Options
  • 04-08-2004 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

whats the story with driving in northenireland on a provisional? is one allowed,

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's a foreign country, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

take off ur l plates and just go, the northern piggys cant prosacute u so speed away :D:D :cool:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dogz wrote:
    take off ur l plates and just go, the northern piggys cant prosacute u so speed away :D:D :cool:
    @dogz - are you an idiot? - do you really believe that because you are in a different country you cannot be pros'a'cuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

yes its illegal.

But chances of getting stopped are very slim to none...i do most my driving in the north and always get waved on by the RUC/Police. As for speeding its the same you can normally get away with a telling off if your caught *i'm not conding it* just saying, but if they decide they can put you in the cellar for a night.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 65,386 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls wrote:
    But chances of getting stopped are very slim to none...

Maybe if they haven't any reason to stop you, e.g. speeding. You must be aware that PSNI presence on main roads is way higher than Garda presence down here

Got stopped once over there for speeding. Policeman + woman were very friendly and courteous and let me away with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dogz wrote:

Exactly the opposite is true. They can't issue a foreign driver with a fixed penalty notice or points on your licence. The ONLY action they can take is to arrest you, put you in the clink and bring you before a magistrate.

The generally prefer letting foreign drivers off with warnings as the paperwork/court time necessary for them is a deterrent. But if you are doing something particularly stupid or you act like a tit and mouth off to them or you just happen along one that doesn't like the look of you it can mean spending anything from a few hours to a whole weekend in a cell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually now that I think of it I was stopped a number of times whilst on my provisional when driving up north (stopped at routine checkpoints!) but they never batted an eyelid - however this was many years ago when they had other things on their mind!

i dont think they would be bothered with provo licences from the south , sure theres enough northerners on provos and they dont care, more or less the same as here. just dont crash ur insurance wont cover u

• Registered Users Posts: 65,386 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dogz wrote:
    theres enough northerners on provos
    :eek: :p :eek:

unkel wrote:
    :eek: :p :eek:
    i c u got it :p :cool: :):D;) lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement