Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When the odds are stacked against you,

Options
  • 04-08-2004 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

There is only one thing to do. Turn them on their head. Was playing in a 100 freeze-out in the merrion on Monday last and was struggling from about level 3 onwards. The only good thing was I kept my seat nearly all night and was only moved for 4 hands before we formed the final table.

So with the smallest stack at the final table when a big stack suggested there is 200 taken off the top so the final 4 get something back aswell I wasn't objecting.

Drawing seat 8 on the final table was nice I get to see a few hands before being forced all in. Sit as tight as is possible and eventually start hitting a few running hands to give me a stack and outlast 3 others so I look over at the other small stack and say 'so its you or me for the last of the small money' he agrees and soon enough he goes all in, I look down and see KQo, and call for 70% of my stack hoping to double through, unfortunately 2 huge stacks call aswell and when the flop comes all raggy spades I must throw away, so our other small stack hits the flush and now is decent stack.

Few more hands pass doubling through a few times and now I have a stack this is such a strange feeling as I havnt had chips all night I dont know what to do with them, so I throw them generously at people until I am in trouble again. Then it happens im on the BB and look down to see the monster that is Jc 8d. 2 callers and strangly Im going to check, Flop comes Jd 7d 9d, ok so now im on top pair with a flush draw, so I have a healthy stack which should scare the others off, ALL IN, player 1 folds quickly and player 2 the guy who was small stack earlier with me, now 2nd biggest, thinks and calls.

I declare top pair with a draw and he turns over Qd Ac, ok so I dont want a diamond but wait 10d would give me a straight flush, 4th St comes 4d so now im standing up jacket going on, only one card in 40 odd will save me and low and behold I river 10d, Straight flush to beat a Q high flush. Dont care what happens now I go out 4th, crappy ammount of prize money but I dont care I toke those poker odds and throw them in the bin. As I look at my fingers today I spent so long last night clawing onto the table I have only finger stubs now

Advertisement