Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland is Atlantis

• 04-08-2004 12:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New book identifies Ireland as Atlantis
    04/08/2004 - 10:21:27

A new book investigating the myth of Atlantis says that the mythical land was actually the island of Ireland.

The claim is made by geologist Ulf Erlingsson in his book 'Atlantis from a Geographer’s Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land', who is to visit Ireland on August 11 to 13.

In his book Erlingsson bases his evidence on Plato's desription of Atlantis which, according to Erlinsson, matches Ireland perfectly. Statistically, the scientist claims, the probability is over 99.98% that Plato was describing Ireland.

Erlingsson says: "Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest over the middle. They both feature a central plain that is open to the sea, but fringed by mountains. No other island on earth even comes close to this description."

“What has led most students astray is that Atlantis sank in the sea”, says Dr Erlingsson.

“It is an ‘Atlantic myth’ all right – but a myth from, not about, Atlantis”.

"The island that sank was Dogger Bank. It was struck by a disastrous flood-wave around 6,100 BC, and now rests deep under the waves of the North Sea."

In the book, Dr Erlingsson shows how the Atlantic Empire probably can be associated with the megalithic monuments of Europe and Northern Africa. Their geographic distribution matches the extent of the Atlantic Empire as Plato described it.

The Atlantean capital can be connected with Tara, the legendary seat of the high king of Ireland.

The temples of Poseidon and the ancestors match up well with the so-called passage tombs of Newgrange and Knowth, in the Boyne valley.

They are the oldest roofed buildings anywhere in the world.

Ulf Erlingsson has a Ph.D. in Physical Geography from Uppsala University.

His specialty is geological processes, under-water research, and natural disasters—.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i learn something new every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

so the ancestors of the secret and mystic Atlantians are the modern irish ?
    i always knew we were special.

no, wait. i though Atlantis was
    Bimini in the Bahamas , or was it Cyprus , or mexico . no wait - i'm such a klutz - it was all of south america

What is it about academics what causes them to blurt out stuff like this. Even Heinrich Schliemann planted treasure when he found 'troy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lozjm

yossarin wrote:
    so the ancestors of the secret and mystic Atlantians are the modern irish ?

Probably blame the English for it's sinking also !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

any chance of a link to the source article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Well fook me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Atlantis is Ireland? Poppycock. It's in the Pegasus galaxy...

So now we are all atlaneans not Irish

Why dont we just ask Sir Bobby Robson what really happened 26,000 years ago.

Im sure he will remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

no, wait. i though Atlantis was
    Bimini in the Bahamas , or was it Cyprus , or mexico . no wait - i'm such a klutz - it was all of south america
    forgot the Azores.
    eh, no, wait again, latest theory is that it is the south of Portugal, which used to be not so submerged and just beyond the Pillars of Hercules just like Plato(?) said. No linkies, but saw it on the television so it must be true :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

Lozjm wrote:
    Probably blame the English for it's sinking also !

Well, they are filthy disease ridden huns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So this famous Ireland before alcohol we've heard about in Family Guy is actually Atlantis? What did they sink under again :p ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You know what this means, right?

Aquaman lives among us!

> south of Portugal
    that was it ! - i was wracking my brain trying to think where the second-to-latest place was.

it seems that everywhere was the place at some point. Its probably much cooler *not* to have been it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Stark wrote:
    What did they sink under again :p ?

they sunk into depression due to lack of alcohol obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Everyone! Jimmy O'Brien has just invented a new beverage in his basement."
    "Hmmm....whis-key..."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It is 'Silly Season' after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ixoy wrote:
    Atlantis is Ireland? Poppycock. It's in the Pegasus galaxy...

I was going to say the exact same thing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I didnt know newgrange and knowth are the oldest roofed buildings in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement