Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GO Amsterdamm!

• 04-08-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Im in amsterdamm and after a few days of walking around i am amazded at the ammount of irish who come here on holidays and then just end up staying here.
    Its a great place you should go to flying pig.

All the amercans here are 1/10th irish

For those of u that have been to amsterasmm did u consider staying there? 35 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    42% 15 votes
    Im afraid to go cause i know i wont come back
    57% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Why would you want to stay there? It's a bigger sh*thole than Dublin. Dirty. Expensive. Full of junkie scum. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i just think the dam is a bit too touristy, i'd ove to live somewhere like utrecht, its a beautiful town. if i moved to holland, i'd proably just veg for a few years then come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

definetly too big a junkie presence - the constant smell of hash isn't particularily wonderful either. Interesting place to visit (some really good museums). But wouldn't want to live there. Now Prague on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Amsterdam, like any major city, has it's nice scenic areas and it's dirty stinking touristy holes. I like the Spui area, Vondelpark and Museumplein but in and around Damrak is kinda sh!tty.

Rotterdam is the place to be, beautiful scenery and none of that touristy crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

I did indeed go, and stayed for two years,

in fact I think almost every day why did I come back to this crazy expensive smoke free Ireland.

Amsterdam is wonderful and if you can control yourself you can feel all the benifits of fixed rent, cheap food and beer, beautiful surroundings, friendly people and a lot of culture.

Bravo Amsterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

All the amercans here are 1/10th irish

American of Irish descent..wow, that's rare! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

ferdi wrote:
    i just think the dam is a bit too touristy, i'd ove to live somewhere like utrecht, its a beautiful town. if i moved to holland, i'd proably just veg for a few years then come home.

:D That's where I live----> Utrecht :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nemici wrote:
    I did indeed go, and stayed for two years,

in fact I think almost every day why did I come back to this crazy expensive smoke free Ireland.

Amsterdam is wonderful and if you can control yourself you can feel all the benifits of fixed rent, cheap food and beer, beautiful surroundings, friendly people and a lot of culture.

Bravo Amsterdam.

Fixed, incredibly high, rent in Ams With 7 year waiting lists though, no?
    Not overly keen on the place to be honest. I rarely go there, though it's not too far away (from Eindhoven), but yeah, it is somewhat prettier to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

ChipZilla wrote:
    Why would you want to stay there? It's a bigger sh*thole than Dublin. Dirty. Expensive. Full of junkie scum. No thanks.
    Agreed. Been there - had a blast but I was glad to leave.
    But you can tell the guy only started the topic to let people know he's a mad toker. Just look at his 3rd poll option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I have been there, like the place but I'd only move there if I had learnt Dutch and found a real job. I imagine many foreigners live there but without ever learning the local customs and getting to know the local people properly but I couldn't live like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Well im dutch living in Ireland most of my life, and i usually go back to holland 3 times a year. Do most irish people think that amsterdam is really the be all and end all of holland? Whenever i am talking to new people, once they find out im dutch, which isnt hard since im a 6'4' blonde guy, its always about amsterdam!
    Utrecht is a great city as is arnhem and even smaller places like leiden and den haag is great craic! Leave the city alone , check what the rest of the country has too offer!

Oh yeah, sorry to be goin off topic but does anyone here have an opinion on the little quarter pints, the small glasses they use in holland? the beer is much better there but i think there should be something like that here!
    only here beer is too expensive for that!
    The publicans would doubtlessly see the potential profits.....b****rds. :(

Proost(cheers)
    Grolsch= king of beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    the constant smell of hash isn't particularily wonderful either.

Nor is the smell of stale beer and piss. (which is the only smell you get in dublin city with the obvious exception of petrol fumes and raw sewage in the form of the Liffey)

As for the argument that its full of "junkies"? I'd prefer to meet Potty Stonerson down a dark lane rather than Drunky McAlcho. And there are far more Drunky McAlcho's in this country than anywhere else in the world so... stick that argument up your hole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Dutchboy wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry to be goin off topic but does anyone here have an opinion on the little quarter pints, the small glasses they use in holland? the beer is much better there but i think there should be something like that here!

i agree 100%
    i was in amsterdam during the summer drinking beer out of the small glass's. It was gorgeous! so much better than the p!ss u get here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I hope going next year for my 21st :D

[Preacher] wrote:
    Nor is the smell of stale beer and piss. (which is the only smell you get in dublin city with the obvious exception of petrol fumes and raw sewage in the form of the Liffey)

As for the argument that its full of "junkies"? I'd prefer to meet Potty Stonerson down a dark lane rather than Drunky McAlcho. And there are far more Drunky McAlcho's in this country than anywhere else in the world so... stick that argument up your hole :)

Amsterdam is full of junkies and freaks (as opposed to stoned tourists) though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

I'd rather meet a dutch junkie than an Irish one. I never once felt in danger when I was in Amsterdam. Any people comin up whispering "coke, ectasy" you just ignore. The police carry guns and are respected by the people, unlike this country.

The homeless people are friendly the i was on the 53 tram from my hotel to central station and a junkie was smokin crack. He then comes over tryin to sell me drugs, I just said no and it was no bother, he start givin me tips on the red light district, sayin watch your money they sometimes have accomplices walk in while your doin the business and rob whatever they can find in your pockets. Nice bloke.

Can't wait to go back over. The dutch are the best people in the world. Also my favourite bar EVER is Teasers, one word "LEGENDARY".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

Juggalo wrote:
    Also my favourite bar EVER is Teasers, one word "LEGENDARY".

Typical, 'men'.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

mmmm.... space cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Juggalo wrote:
    The homeless people are friendly the i was on the 53 tram from my hotel to central station and a junkie was smokin crack.

Sounds delightful. :rolleyes:

And mr. dutchman from earlier in this thread. The only reason the Irish only mention Amsterdam is probably because its the only place they've heard of. With all the drugs etc Amsterdam is a paddy paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The Dam is a kip, if you are really into the whole smoking freedom thing then any dutch city will do, Leiden outside the Dam is a quieter spot.
    I dunno who reckons the Dutch are cool, it's a pit of hard line right wingers in my experience, I lived 6 years in Germany on the Border with North Holland.

• Advertisement

Amsterdam is an elaborate PR stunt for the Dutch - make a show of being friendly, tolerant, open-minded, adventurous, when the exact opposite is true.

Miaooww!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Id rather live in other places in the Netherlands like Rotterdam or so. Amsterdam is just very touristy and fun for a few days, just not the place you could live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Bit off topic, but is it possible to get a train Charleroi, brussels to amsterdam. If so how much est. and where?

Bus from outside Charelroi airport to the train Station is about a euro, from whence trains are available in all directions. You can also get the Ryanair bus to Brussels and get the Thalys from there direct to Amsterdam (probably the quickest wayat less than 3 hours, shouldn't cost more than €75 return).

There's actually a special offer fro two people for €65 AMS-BRU at the moment, on the Dutch railway site.

And the Belgians are undercutting them by €3 for this week only :D

Advertisement