Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application Problem

Options
  • 04-08-2004 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

I recently downloaded a patch for a program. The patch is sfc3_patch_1.01_beta2_build_v534.exe found at the following website: http://patches.gamez.com/sage/files.x?fid=sfc3patch101beta2buildv534exe&download=1. It seems as though it has to run in the command prompt (DOS) but i keep getting the "program is too big for memory" error. It is 31megs and i have the Windows XP Home operating system with plenty of RAM (256megs). Any suggetions to get it working??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It's compressed with some type of compression utility.

Look at the readme file that cam with it, or check back on the site to find out which compression utility was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Sounds more like it's either a faulty file, or it got corrupted during download, probably the latter. It's an exe file, so if it were compressed, it should have it's own built-in decompressor. Were you using a download manager (like GetRight etc.)?

Edit: I started downloading that file to see if that was the right size, and it continued downloading in the background as I'd forgot to cancel it in the downloads window (using Firefox). It managed to download, on a 56k connection, at a speed of 20kb/sec average. Definitely a corrupt file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Dun, that's not necessarily true. I've often downloaded stuff from bittorrent and it's packages as a non self-extracting exe.
    I think the tool that I needed was 96 Encrypt or somethign like that.
    http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/Windows/126/23.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm not sure what download mirror you chose, but I just downloaded it from the 3dgamers mirror, and it's doing the same thing for me.
    So at this stage, it's got to be corrupt on the server(s) or a really cruel joke in letting the customer figure out it's a compressed file and guess what tool he needs to decompress it.
    Opening the file in notepad/edit.com shows a few miles of blank lines, then data of some sort towards the end... no sign of any discernable file-headers as far as I can see.
    I'd go to straight to the manufacturers website and see if they have a non-corrupt version of the patch, or (if ColmOT is on to something here) at least you might find out exactly how to extract the contents.

Advertisement