Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom dissconection charge?

Options
  • 04-08-2004 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just looking for a bit of advice here if someone can help me.
    I want to get rid of my isdn line and get in broadband. I rang up eircom and the support guy said they would have to charge me 99euro to have the second line removed, the broadband installation would then be free.
    Sounds like a con to me, surely they can cancel the account for the second line. Am i being screwed (well i know im being screwed, but it it more than to be expected).
    Ideally id like to get eircom to disconnect my second line, sign up to Esat broadband and kick back till something better comes along.
    What are my options here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Len

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cravian

I originally had ISDN with €ircom before switching to their DSL service and was advised that it would cost €24.99 to disconnect the ISDN line, and this was back in February 2003.

Because of the original problems I had in getting through to the right person and the fuss over whether or not my local exchange was enabled they eventually waived the fee for the 'inconvenience'.

The €99 sounds a bit of a joke, perhaps you should mention that you'll be paying on average more per month to them and it's in their interest to encourage you to upgrade, etc., it's their job to supply a competitive broadband service, etc. that kind of thing. Definitely worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

A Downgrade from ISDN to Analogue costs €24.99 and not €99

M

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I think the €99 comes from the fact that an engineer has to call out to replace the ISDN NT box with an ADSL splitter; it can't be done as a self-install.

Eircom therefore charge you a bit more up front to cover the installation, and deduct this from the 12 month contract period for broadband. You end up paying the same overall, but Eircom get the callout fee earlier rather than later.

(A lot of people in Eircom seem confused about this though, so it's worth ringing for a second opinion if you don't like what you've heard.) As mentioned elsewhere, the downgrade fee on its own is definitely only €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lfeehan

Thanks for the replys guys. If thats what they charge then ill have to pay it i suppose. When i ring ill see if i can convince them to drop it to 25 but i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Wouldn't Eircom have to drop by and remove the ISDN box no matter whether you're just downgrading, or downgrading to get ADSL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Eircom will always say €99 when you ask them to change from ISDN to ADSL..

It's a scam, they're chancin' their arms. Happens to everyone, twice to me.

Ask to get rid of ISDN (don't mention DSL!), it costs 24.99.. end of story. Don't take any bull****. They may have to "go to their supervisor" a few times to check if you insist enough. They'll eventually tell you this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

its 24.99, the guy on the phone is misinformed.
    (rather than "chancing his arm"... he hardly has any control over billing :rolleyes:, he's likely just a moron who has it wrong )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The €99 package is not a simple downgrade. It covers

1. Downgrade to ISDN
    2. Test line on the spot now that its analogue .
    3. Either

Line fails you may reupgrade to ISDN on the spot .

Line passes ADSL is installed for ya (i.e. modem and filters are plugged in )

I have never heard of anyone with ISDN who failed the DSL test but it is possible at the extremities , c.6km from the exchange you may get ISDN but not ADSL

Its existence also proves that Eircom can test any line at any time by arrangement , say you have a SKY digibox to unplug for a few minutes. !

M

Advertisement