Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

:( PITY FOR ME! :p

• 04-08-2004 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭

i did a plc course and i got my results today and i did great in everything except for 2 subjects which i failed. I had the same teacher for both subjects and she shouldn't of failed me on one module at least, she failed me on work experience a module i need to pass the course overall and go on fruther to college, i hope i can appeal :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well give us a bit more details so that people can be better placed to advise you. What was the course? What were the subjects? What was the module you think you should have been passed on and why? Any information you can give will be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Where does the teacher reside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm sure there's an appeal process of some kind. How on earth did you manage to fail a work experience module though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

hahahahah, well i didn't want advice i wanted pity but ok.

I was doing a plc course in programming and this teacher was very strict,curt,rude person and also our tutor. I didn't attend alot of her work experience classes for they were at a 9am start and i lived far out in meath. I started in september but i did not start work experience practical until jan 04( myself and others found it hard to get ). I handed up various material to her and i was late handing up 2 reports/insurance form for my grandmother had died towards the end of the course. She sent my work supervisor a report to fill in and i realise it was my own faulyt but i didnt give her to address of the supervisor till 2 months before the end of the course for she was to send it out. She tried to contact my supervisor various times by phone but my supervisers job mean't she was out of the office alot. Anyhow she sent the report to fill out but my supervisor lost it but gave the excuse of a post mix up and i told the teacher this and she said that it couldn't do etc but eventually after talking to her she said that it wouldn't matter and if need be she could talk to the supervisor oin the form and it would be all fine, she also told my supervisor this, she never called, the supervisor rang me and i went into the school but the teacher was nowhere to be found for classes had ended a few days earlier but the course year was still in operation. I assumed everything would be fine because of what she said previously. She failed me :(

She also claimed previously that i had not handed up my work to her on the day the external examier from the department was to come out and grade it. I remembered vividly handing it up to her and even the ppl that were inb the room and the conversation for my sense are 100% whern im uinder pressure or feel kinda threathened. She said that i was lying and i said i wasn#t and that i would not fail the course because of her lossing my work, she told me to wait around the school all day and i went bk to her later to ask if she found it, she said i didnt hand it up, i then rang my familys solictor who is a family friend to ring and ask for her and explain the situation, 20 mins after this she found it.

She drove another classmate from the course and i know that his letter saying this is on file at the school

I realise that this is mostly my fault

Sorry that is scattered, i needed the supervisor report to pass the module but she lead me and my supervisor to believe it would be ok. My supervisor gave an excuse about losing the report, she said there was something wrong with the post office and her office got a notice saying that there would be a delay in post reaching the office etc, iit was all lies of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

This wouldnt have happened to be a vec at the top of drumcondra road would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ask your work supervisor to write to the tutor's superior. Might do you some favours if you were good at the work placement...

Supervisor is my mothers friend so ya we are tight,plunkeett college is the school

A difficult one. You could make an appeal, but as you said, a lot of it was your won fault. That will stand against you. You never know but what with the way they are not too keen to change these things, it'll be hard to change their minds without a very good case.

:( it just sucks that it was a year wasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ah you were a plonker college student (whitehall represent!) Well you can try appeal it but chances are you wont get far knowing the cdvec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No disrespect for your grandmother or anything but i think you should go down that road, that that was the reason that you messed up

Ye, you have to take responsibility for this yourself. Not getting to the work experience because you lived far away is not really acceptable. It is your responsibility to ensure you were there. If you cannot meet ther requirements of the course, you should not be doing it at all. I have taught classes and if someone signs up to do one then they should be making the effort to attend. That is what I would expect of them. If they are not prepared to do that, then there is not much point in them doing the course. You can't really appeal on your bereavement or your difficulty in getting in on time. You can only appeal if there is something that they did wrong, or there were very exceptional circumstances on your part. If there is a problem during the course, like attendance, you need to address then, not when the course is finished. So any exceptional circumstances can't really be brought up at the end as an excuse if nothing was said at the time they actually happened.

The next time you are doing a course, get the details of what it will involve and then commit yourself fully to doing it and address any problems you encounter immediately. If you are not prepared to do that then find a course that you can do. In my experience of teaching courses, it is the people that make the effort to get around the problems that do best. Many get around some difficult problems in doing a course, while others don't make the effort to get around much simpler problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Asok wrote:
    Ah you were a plonker college student (whitehall represent!) Well you can try appeal it but chances are you wont get far knowing the cdvec

AIDAN'S! WOOOOOO!
    *ahem*

Better to try appeal than to ignore it and wallow in pity for the next year...

bush wrote:
    No disrespect for your grandmother or anything but i think you should go down that road, that that was the reason that you messed up

That was kinda harsh eh ?
    Flukey wrote:
    Ye, you have to take responsibility for this yourself. Not getting to the work experience because you lived far away is not really acceptable. It is your responsibility to ensure you were there. If you cannot meet ther requirements of the course, you should not be doing it at all. I have taught classes and if someone signs up to do one then they should be making the effort to attend. That is what I would expect of them. If they are not prepared to do that, then there is not much point in them doing the course. You can't really appeal on your bereavement or your difficulty in getting in on time. You can only appeal if there is something that they did wrong, or there were very exceptional circumstances on your part. If there is a problem during the course, like attendance, you need to address then, not when the course is finished. So any exceptional circumstances can't really be brought up at the end as an excuse if nothing was said at the time they actually happened.

The next time you are doing a course, get the details of what it will involve and then commit yourself fully to doing it and address any problems you encounter immediately. If you are not prepared to do that then find a course that you can do. In my experience of teaching courses, it is the people that make the effort to get around the problems that do best. Many get around some difficult problems in doing a course, while others don't make the effort to get around much simpler problems.

I realise that i've left myself wide open to this sort of thing through my own lazyness and because of other circumstances but if we are to get techinical i did furfill all the requirements for the work experience (amount of hours for the module to be complete and handed in on time) within the correct time frame. The reason i am assuming i didn't pass was due to the supervisor report not being handed in and by the rules of the whole module i was mean't to have no interaction with the supervisor report.

Any information regarding interaction with the cdvec or plunkett college in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I don't think anyone is being hard on you personally but are just pointing out what you are expected to do and how they will look at it. From their perspective and even by your own admittance there were problems. Even while the individuals assessing your case might have sympathy for you, they are bound by the rules set out for them and cannot be seen to make exceptions without very good reason. That is what you are up against and that is the point of view that some of us have given you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

didnt someone post something very similar a while back about an arguement with a lecturere who had lost an assignment, and claimed it was never handed in? i dont know how it turned out.

did you get a reciept for the assignment? i assume you didnt as theres no mention of one.

yes thats me, i thought with the intervention of the solictor to slightly frigthen her everything would be ok, i've got an appointment next week with herself and the principal concerning an appeal. I have no receipt for the different reports i handed in but the tutor/principal saw me with them so you knwo it's save to say i hope she didn't jsut throw them in the bin

Prepare yourself well for the meeting. Don't go in too confrontational and don't go in playing the sympathy card. Calmly go in and present the facts as you see them, in a straightforward and direct manner.

Advertisement