Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord er.. suing me

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Paddy20 wrote:
    Substr,

Re: The Small Claims Court ?..

You would need to do a check with the Clerk of the Court at your nearest District Court about whether you can claim for your deposit through the Small Claims Court. Just to be sure, or do a check online.

RicardoSmith,

I consider 'Landlordism' as immoral. You are trying to defend the indefensible. Under our Constitution everyone has a right to a roof over their head. Simply because our little Countries Local Authorities and corrupt Politico's have failed our citizens miserably, leaves the door open for scum to charge €900 per Month for a flea pit that is unfit for human habitation. Cop on for heavens sake.

I'm kind of on paddy's side on this one, but definately not to the extreme.

I do think that young tenants are exploited by landlords in this economy, and current housing market. Wealthy property owners, banks and the government in a way, conspire together to keep young people out of the property market and keep paying insane amounts of rent. While I won't blame the government on this, they have effectively made it much more difficult for first time buyers, and dodgy landlords don't help either.

Can you explain to me why the rent relief is about HALF what the mortgage interest relief is? This situation favours the homeowner over the tenant. ie €900 a month rent gets HALF the tax relief as interest on a €900 a month mortgage.

Why does the government allow using mortgage interest relief on rental property? This is practically unheard of elsewhere. The landlord can effectively claim more relief than the tenant.

I would say that close to half of all rented accomadation in Ireland is not registered, nor do the landlords pay tax. This is just extra money for the landlords retirement or holidays, who often owns at least one or two ther dwellings. yet the tenant has to use their after tax income to pay the rent.

Its invariably young people that are caught in the rent trap, who are recieving no subsidies from local athorities and using a huge 5 of their income just to have a roof over their head. Meanwhile 1 in 4 houses are bought as investments, ie people who want ANOTHER house. Driving the house prices out of reach of the tenant who is forced to pay sometimes more than a mortgage would be, because the bank will not lend to them. To afford the average dublin home, you would need an income of €80k per annum!

Unlike every other western country, Ireland does not have property tax on residential accomidation. Be them rates, taxes, whatever. I don't know why someone can own a dozen houses in Ireland, but never have to pay any property taxes, or contribute to parks, schools, water, sewerage (or until recently bin collection). Why not charge rates on investment properties? Landlords are responsible for paying these and is seen as an advantage of renting over buying, but doesn't exist in Ireland.

There should be some incentive for first time buyers or some deterant to those who just buy up properties pushing the prices up. The government could easily set up some tax free saving scheme that is used on a house deposit for first time buyers, or even tax those with multiple dwellings who are making a fortune a little but more fairly.

My 3 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

boo4842 wrote:
    Why does the government allow using mortgage interest relief on rental property? This is practically unheard of elsewhere. The landlord can effectively claim more relief than the tenant.
    Because every other business is allowed to write off the cost of borrowing.

Landlords will eventually pay CGT when selling. Owner occupiers won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

boo4842 wrote:
    .....I do think that young tenants are exploited by landlords in this economy, and current housing market. Wealthy property owners, banks and the government in a way, conspire together to keep young people out of the property market and keep paying insane amounts of rent. While I won't blame the government on this, they have effectively made it much more difficult for first time buyers, and dodgy landlords don't help either.....

So the economy is the fault of landlords and not the govt?

The conspiracy is to keep young people out of the market AND keep paying rent?

What???

Victor wrote:
    Because every other business is allowed to write off the cost of borrowing.

Landlords will eventually pay CGT when selling. Owner occupiers won't.

A major difference is that mortgage relief is claimed at at source when making mortgage payments, yet rent is paid without tax deducted at source.

Landlords can claim the tax relief on the mortgage without claiming any income or paying any tax. They shouldn't, but they do.

True enough with the CGT though.

So the economy is the fault of landlords and not the govt?

The conspiracy is to keep young people out of the market AND keep paying rent?

What???

I'm not saying there is a conspiricy per say, more of a mutually beneficial relationship.

Its the exact same thing as the Feudal system, where wealthly landlords payed taxes to the king, and kept the serfs and tenants down by buying up all the land or pricing it above what an average worker can afford.

Now there is no king but a government providing landlords or property investors with incentives to buy more. The banks benefit through increased revenues and larger borrowings to collect interest on. The goverment benefits from €1bn in stamp duties, and they themselves are in the property market. The landlords benefit from capital appreciation as well as charging more rent than their mortgage, sometimes many times what their mortgage is. They can do this because low interest rates, government incentives and a panicked demand market drive the prices beyond what most tenants, or indeed anyone not on the ladder could qualify for. They don't have any leveragable equity.

Thus the gap between the have's and the have nots increases.

Average industrial wage in Dublin €31,000
    Average house price in Dublin €320,000
    Maximum mortgage vs salary ratio 4 times (plus 1 times a spouse)
    So the average wage earnear could qualify for a mortgage of €124,000 or €154,000 with 2 incomes.

Something is not right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I still don't see how this is the fault of the landlords and not the govt. The landlords are taking advantage of the market conditions. Thats what capitalism is all about. Its the govt thats encouraging it. Its not some "plan" by landlords. Many of whom are ordinary people can see the obvious in that theres a better return for your money, in property than in leaving it in a bank, or buy investing it shares and whatnot.

Theres no conspiracy.

Beside you choose where you rent, and thus choose the rent you pay.

Advertisement