Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD/JJB/Champi9on/Marathon/Lifestyle

Options
  • 04-08-2004 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

My brothers bought a TON of Nike Shocs from the USA a few months back @ 50euros a pop each & they were shipped to them DIRECTLY from the Nike Factory in Asia, & low & behold what do I find in the above stores the other day - the same damn shocs for like 200+ euros a pair...... now the gits over here needn't tell me overheads & the rest covers the 150euros plus a pair they're lumped on.... this is totally getting out of hand...

nevermind the fact in the space of 4 days I had a BRAND new pair of Air Maxs shipped in from the USA that cost me 72 euros as well as 33euros import taxes etc (gits!!!) & they still are nowhere near the 215euros those gimps in JD are charging...... talk about a farce!!!!

The more people that buy outside Ireland - the sooner they'll cop on. As it stands the ONLY clothing I buy in Ireland is socks & boxers.... even that will come to an end soon - everything else is imported & cost WAY less even after shipping & the rest......

Only an idiot would continue to support the rip-off artists here & this shambolic government & their anti-consumer support strategies..... I've bought guitars, amps, house hold electrical goods, dvd's, cd's, clothes, shoes, holidays, motorcycle parts, computer parts, computers, even food (yes - food!!! Buy a month's worth of shopping online from sainsburys & drive up to Newry to get it - for 4 weeks shopping that I'd spend down here, I get an extra week & a half for free practically) over the web from other countries - I'm thru with ripoff ireland - if it wasn't for the fact I hated living in the states & the fact I find their society & way of life nauseating I'd be living there... GGGGGRRRRRRRRR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

TheSilverSurfer - You seem to have a lot of sucess shopping online. Please post the URLS for the sites you use so the rest of us can try them out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Silver surfer; ever find stress releif remedies online?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

To be honest - eBay has been exceptionally good to me & provided me with ALOT of brand new in the box stuff; electrical goods [tv's, dvd players etc etc], computers, harley parts, guitars, amps, pedals, clothes, shoes etc etc. There's alot of online stores on eBay which makes it handy too.

Other sites I use are:

- Amazon
    - Play.com
    - PlayUSA.com
    - eBookers.ie
    - CDWOW.ie
    - CDWOW.hk

As for medication online - I tend to stay clear of it as I got sent placebos for something I ordered on one occasion & another time I got stuff that failed FDA regulations - guess the thing to remember is 'buyer beware' - but for stress relief I suppose you could use 'Kalms' by Kelkin, they've proved pretty effective for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Where did you buy the runners from ?
    I buy most of my clothes on http://www.dress-for-less.de and www.mandmsports.com
    Ive bought 300 euro worth of unbelievably snazzy stuff off them for very little in the past month.
    For example
    Pair of Dockers D5's €15
    Reebok Sweater €15
    Hush Puppies €15
    Tommy Hilfiger Jeans €45
    I would have paid €220 for the above 3 in Cork at best.

the runners came off from a store called 'Designer Athletic' on eBay [ebay ID - designerathletic].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I was hinting at the fact that you sound unbelievably uptight abou tbuying stuff from a standard shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was hinting at the fact that you sound unbelievably uptight abou tbuying stuff from a standard shop.
    Problem is very few standard shops exist in this country.
    Most are sub standard.

Problem is very few standard shops exist in this country.
    Most are sub standard.

Bang on the money with that one mate - I've no probs buying in standard shops - I do have a problem with being blatently fleeced & then being told to "like it or lump it" & meanwhile consumer organisations have the nuts to tell you to "shop around" - where exactly? COmpetition my a$$.......... the only way Irish retailers & our pathetic government will ever get it through their thick heads is when money goes out of the economy en masse.

On my runners alone they lost over 60euros in taxes - outside the 30euros I did pay them. All of it adds up. They say "vote with your feet" - I say spend your hard earned cash outside Ireland & get what you need & give the thieving gits here as little as possible - when jobs start going on the line, businesses start closing down & trade falls, maybe then they will wake up.

Half of our economical problems arise directly from "rip off ireland". Coffee is brewed sirs.......... time to wake up & like Neo, enter the real world....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Where did you buy the runners from ?
    I buy most of my clothes on http://www.dress-for-less.de and www.mandmsports.com.

You would not have to pay import duty on the German site either.......

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I was recently in Florida on holiday and bought a lot of clothes. I decided to price the same stuff in Ireland as close as I could get to what I bought in America.

American price total = €325
    Irish Price Total = €572

I bought enough clothes in American to do me till next summer when I'm heading back there on my Honeymoon. Screw Irish shops. They can fcuk off if they think I'm giving them any more money than I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

LFCFan where abouts did you go shopping over there? I'm heading over in 2 weeks so any guidelines would be appreciated

kensutz wrote:
    LFCFan where abouts did you go shopping over there? I'm heading over in 2 weeks so any guidelines would be appreciated

There is a place called Belz Factory Outlet at the end of International Drive. It's huge with loads of stores. There's also Belz Designer Outlet across the road from this. There's also a place called Ellinton (sp?) near Tampa which has a massive outlet centre. There's factory outlets all over Orlando and loads of flea markets. It's impossible not to get cheap clothes over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh strange cos i bought an acoustic guitar for the same price as i could find online in my local v.small guitar shop (man has small premises and been there for as long as i lived over here probably been there for ever ) anyway good on wards music in donegal town although his selection is limited i had almost not bothered going in there. so some good guys still exist, also great if want quality trad irish instruments his main business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

scary article,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

LFCFan wrote:
    There is a place called Belz Factory Outlet at the end of International Drive. It's huge with loads of stores. There's also Belz Designer Outlet across the road from this. There's also a place called Ellinton (sp?) near Tampa which has a massive outlet centre. There's factory outlets all over Orlando and loads of flea markets. It's impossible not to get cheap clothes over there.

I remember the Belz centre in Orlando...think i prefered it to Disney (Especially the crass comercilism that is the Epcot Centre :D ). Orlando is great for picking up cheap ****. Mind you not all of it is the real McCoy! ;)
    Muck wrote:
    Remember This!

I never ever realised that!!!!! Just back from New York where i spent over €1300 on clothes and stuff. Bought 5 pairs of nautica jeans at €45 a piece in Macy's....cost €85 here in Arnotts. Don't think i bought any single item over €120.

p

Story is that our feds will swat team a few aircraft in late september and early october. They will invite journalists to the feast. They want to scare off the christmas shoppers .

they will make an example of a few people while the journos are around, watch it. If u must go to the states try not to go to NYC for the weekend if a week in Florida would be better , that could attract the wrong kind of attention :( The good news is that once the articles are published they will withdraw the swat teams.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Just out of curiosity how do they know you didn't travel over with the stuff??

Assuming you don't leave receipts etc hanging out of the nice clothes/watch your wearing and the shiny new laptop you have in your case.(although the power adapter might give that away)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think clothes are OK (as long as you remove the tags and mix the clothes with the rest of your normal stuff). Dump the receipts in America, as they're useless when you get back home.

The things to watch out for are the electronics, I think..... If they're for yourself, consider removing them from their boxes before travelling back. So in the case of a digital camera (for example), if they ask where you got it, say you brought it with you.

Post the receipts and warranties and cc slips to yourself from the US and remove all packaging from the items.

Wear all the clothes once ! That means go with empty suitcase as you will be buying them when you get there.

If you go for a week and come back with 5 pairs of jeans then thats cool. If you come back with 10 pairs after a 3 day break you may have to explain why so get a sicknote from your doc b 4 u go explaining that you are incontinent or similar :D . If you go for 14 days then the 10 pairs of jeans is not ridiculous is it ????

Consistency and plausibility are your best friends .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A mate of mine bought a laptop in Canada and posted the empty box and receipts back to himself in Ireland, and had no problems going through customs on the way back, as they had no way of proving he'd only just bought it while on holiday!

has anyone ever been stopped going through the green channel in Dublin Airport. In all my time going through there I think I've only ever seen a customs officer talking to a friend who'd just come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think Dev had a great story in his journal about some run in with a customs officer over a nail file or some such...

Advertisement