Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantastic Shelbourne

• 04-08-2004 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Credit where its due. A marvelous result not just for the Shels club but the entire league.
    Maybe lansdowne will be needed for round 3 with Deportivo.
    Soccer fans throughout Dublin & outside should turn out for that one.
    Possibly best night in LOI since advent of the 2 division concept in 1985.
    Well done again :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

An amazing goal reminicent of Zidane for Real Madrid, fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Come on you shels, this is an absolute fantastic moment in irish football. Credit where credit is due shels were outstanding. Bring on Depor ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Great to see the investment in a full time team is paying dividends - brave decision & reaping the benefits....Go Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Had to watch on d'telly, but jaysus that was great!

Superb performance from Shels, right from the off. 2nd half was a tense affair, and I thought they were going to retreat to the goal line when Rogers scored, but credit where its due, they retained their composure, even managed to waste time like the best of 'em!

Fully deserved win for Shels, so they've more than deserved their next round and at least one other tie in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Shelbourne were brilliant tonight. they had the better chances and deserved the 2-0 win. I'm glad RTE decided to show the match. its hard to belive shels are two matches away from being in the group stages of the champions league. brilliant. Deportivo might put out a reserve team and who knows what can happen.... :D.

WELL DONE SHELBOURNE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

.......so they've more than deserved their next round and at least one other tie in Europe......

my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Fabulous result for Shels and Eircom League !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt think they could do it but were easily the best side out there tonight !

Its also a real boost for the league, we all know now that E.L teams can get to the 3rd round and after that who knows :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fair play, not much of an EL fan and usually the irish get knocked out at the 1st possible stage.

lets hope they believe they can beat deportivo and aren't just there for the party. theyve been superb so far but they dont want to make fools of themselves and get hammered.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Fully deserved win. They went for it from the start and it payed off. And when they settled they produced some fantastic football too. Only for the Hajuk goalkeeper it could have been four or five to Shels. I thought Heary, Moore and Houlahan were the best outfield players on the pitch.

I hope Igor Stimac is eating his hat right now because Shelbourne were far better than Hajuk in every department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Well done Shelbourne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have to say, great game. I was a little dissapointed with the satndard of the 2nd leg of the helsinki game after paying €15 for the privelage but tonight more than made up for it. I was twice as glad when the 1st goal went in cos i was behind the goal and if it didnt go in i was getting a smack of the ball.

To anyone else who was there, well done, the atmosphere was excellent. Anyone know when the tickets for the Depor game go on sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Stekelly wrote:
    .Anyone know when the tickets for the Depor game go on sale?

that will probably be decided by where the game will be played which will be decided tommorrow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was an announcment on the pa about middlesborough coming over for a game on saturday evening. Anyone shed any light on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

...yes yes yes!!

DE-FOOKIN-LIGHTED!!

couldnt go cause i had to work, wonder will i be able to get tickets for the depor game??

delighted we're through, best i've seen shels play in a while. go that vital euopean win we needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Stekelly wrote:
    Have to say, great game. I was a little dissapointed with the satndard of the 2nd leg of the helsinki game after paying €15 for the privelage but tonight more than made up for it. I was twice as glad when the 1st goal went in cos i was behind the goal and if it didnt go in i was getting a smack of the ball.

To anyone else who was there, well done, the atmosphere was excellent. Anyone know when the tickets for the Depor game go on sale?
    I must have been sitting close to you! Wasn't it great? The minute Rogers connected you could see it was in. What a moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I was down the New Stand, my usual spot for the Shels games, and I have to say fair play to the Briogáid Dearg, they kept up the singing all night, got everyone up and singing in that stand.

Very well done to Shels, they were by far the better team on the night, outplayed the Croats in every department of the pitch.

Although Jason Byrne was played out of position for most of the match, he was brilliant out on the wing. Alan Moore showed his real class once again. The only lowlight I could really see was the perfromance of Glen Fitzpatrick, he looked a yard short of pace, and didn't get much out of either his marker, or the Ref.

Shels were denied a definite penalty in the first half, Jamie Harris was dragged down in the box after a corner, but the ref may have been unsighted, the linesman certainly wouldn't have seen it.

Very impressed with Ollie Cahill at times, but for the last 15 minutes or so of the first half, he looked dead on his feet.

Once Jason Byrne went up front, the game changed. Hajduk had begun to control the game, but the changes made were for the better. McCarthy on for Glen Fitzpatrick worked well, with Weso moving out wide right, left Jason Byrne to do what he does best, play as a striker.

The centre midfield pairing of Stuart Byrne and Alan Moore was like a brick wall at times. Full backs were very solid too. Owen Heary being particularly impressive with his forward running.

Now to the man of the moment, Davey Scouse, you are a true Shels Legend, what a goal, what a brilliant goal, very well taken. I nearly hyperventilated when it went in, I jumped so high, and turned around and grabbed this kid up over my head. A magical moment.

Then Shels sat back, as they usually do, trying to give us heart attacks!

Hajduk tried to break them down, but couldn't. I remember looking at the scoreboard, and it seemed to be stuck on 9mins for an eternity. I don't remember much between the goal and the end, apart from Joey Ndo's classy turn in the box, and square ball to Moore, then the ball hit the net. Rapture. We're there, we've done it, I didn't cheer or anything, just stood with my arms in the air, unbelieving, looking at Davey Scouse going ape, the photographer's flash lighting him up. Then the final whistle, and I ran through the crowd, over seats and embraced my brother.

What a night, it will live long in the memory, that is without doubt.

Bring on Dépor, I know it won't be a win to the group stages, but we're all allowed our dreams.

Fair play to ye lads, fair play to Nutsy and Ollie Byrne, fair play to the fans from all the other clubs who turned out, fair play to the public at large who turned out.

Forza Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well done Shels, great game too. For the first time in ages I'm motivated to go watch a LOI team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah Well done shels, Is there any announcment on the Venue for the next round? I hear Landsdown being mentioned but they will need 20 000 bums on seats if they are to break even there.That to me suggests the next round will not be televised if they decide to move it from Tolka Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

its being played at Landsdowne , and the reason is simple 4 times as many seats and also you will probably have to pay more to get in , giving a much higher revenue .

Shels wanted to play it at Tolka , making it though and intimidating for Depor , but there is a lot more money to be made from Lansdowne then Tolka .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hopefully now it might encourage more people to go to the League games.

• Advertisement

any official anouncement to where its gonna be?

Lansdowne definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Here ya go!

Tickets go on sale, Friday, 6 August at 09:00

how much for a ticcky, do ye reckon? €15 again?

FROM THE SHELS WEBSITE:
    Free Beer Promo and Video in Tolka next Monday
    [5 August 2004 - 12:50]

Next Monday night, 9th August, there will be a Beer Promo Night in Tolka Park, hosted by a well known bottled beer brand.

Lots of beer, prizes and fun.

The video of last night's game will also be shown on the Big Screen.

Starting at 9.00pm unsharpish!

fair dues to ollie and the boys for puttin on a reward for the fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'd say tickets will be priced differently for the various sections, hope they don't price them too high , I'd be willing to pay 20 - 25 , I suppose it will be reserved setaing as well

Wonder will many depor fans travel ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

20, not including booking fee.

they're set to make bout a million from the two games i heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im not a Shels fan, but i was delighted to see them reach the 3rd qualifying round. Its a magnificant achievement for Irish soccer,it shows that standards in our league are rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Well done Shels.

Now that they're in the Third Qual. Round even if they lose they are guarenteed 2 more matches in Europe but if they win they will play 6 more matches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If the match was played in Tolka Shels would have had a great chance of at least a draw but playing in a half empty Landsowne Road is definitely in Depor's favour.

BTW, why did they switch the legs around so Shels are at home first? I assume its because more people will go to the match than they would if it was on the back of a 4-0 defeat in Spain. The less finance the better IMO, they will be ruling the league for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

playing in a half empty Landsowne Road is definitely in Depor's favour.

Is it not already sold out? Read that on another thread.

eirebhoy wrote:
    they will be ruling the league for years.

Nothing wrong with that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

it seems as if those tickets are sold out alright, i was trying on ticketmaster but to no avail. Gas.

Post from LizardKing on another thread a few mins ago:
    They have tickets in Tolka AFAIK , on sale tonight and tomorrow ( My Da's picking up ours tomorrow morning)

Buying there also saves on the TickeBasterd charges...

Can we not merge the Shels threads? Bloody awkward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>fair dues to ollie and the boys for puttin on a reward for the fans!

Er, and hosting a night at Tolka that will pull in the punters and fill the cash registers.

You won't see many Depor fans travelling, maybe 50, but what you will see iare thousands of Dublin-based Spaniardsa attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Bateman wrote:
    >
    You won't see many Depor fans travelling, maybe 50, but what you will see iare thousands of Dublin-based Spaniardsa attending.

The Dublin fans should definitely turn out for this one. Certainly bigger attraction than the international friendly with Bulgaria.

Often wondered though why Shels support is so small in comparison to say Bohs. They have been far & away the best team in the league with few seasons now.

The Dublin fans should definitely turn out for this one. Certainly bigger attraction than the international friendly with Bulgaria.

Often wondered though why Shels support is so small in comparison to say Bohs. They have been far & away the best team in the league with few seasons now.
    as the man says, location location location!

shels are movin to finglas soon anyway, dalymount is right in the thick of it, but tolka hasnt got as big a fanbase. not that far away from each other, but the amount of people i know who drive by tolka to get to dalymount each weeek is enourmous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Shelbourne are a credit to the national league for what they have achieved so far.I was at the game myself last wednesday and the atmosphere was electric, best match i have been at in fact.Got my tickets for myself and my GF from ticketmaster in stephens green shopping center today for the match on wednesday and hopefully we will get a good result.Its no harm to dream.Interesting to hear that hajuk split have been just declared bankrupt as they were banking on the money from the deportivo match.So come on shels do ireland proud. I for one now will be going to NT matches from now on, shame my own team galway utd are stuck in the doldrums of the first divison and will be there for a few more years.Oh well we can all dream.

I know it's hardly surprising but RTÉ have confirmed they are showing the Shels — Depor match live this Wednesday.

RTÉ TO SHOW SHELS MATCH
    RTÉ will provide live exclusive coverage of the first leg of Shelbourne's Champions League clash with Deportivo La Coruna.

Shelbourne became the first Irish team to make it through two rounds of the
    tournament after beating Hajduk Split on Wednesday night.

They now meet Champions League regulars Deportivo in Lansdowne Road next
    Wednesday in the third and final qualifying round of the competition.

http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/FForum2.html

how many tickets are left? i've my lot, but i'm just wondering will it be close to a sell out?

• Advertisement

I have mine... I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

When I got mine there was vitually nothing left in the East Stand, and its posted on a thread or two here that its sold out, but that might be false information.

LizardKing wrote:
    Wonder will many depor fans travel ...

Answers that Q :rolleyes:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/10/story160981.html

why was there only 24,000 tickets? is temprary seating not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Temporary seating is not allowed by UEFA.

Derry had to play before a few thousand at Brandywell last year for the same ewason.

BEST OF LUCK TO SHELS DO THE LEAGUE PROUD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Temporary seating is allowed by UEFA but it costs (hundreds of) thousands to get them up and they weren't even expecting to get over 20,000 fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

eirebhoy wrote:
    Temporary seating is allowed by UEFA but it costs (hundreds of) thousands to get them up and they weren't even expecting to get over 20,000 fans.

Apparently it was too expensive to get the bucket seats in place and then removed for next weeks friendly against Bulgaria.
    Which begs the question, why did they move it to Lansdowne in the first place is there was only going to be 24,000 tickets available. Would it not be better to have 11,000 hard core Shels fans in Tolka rather than a half empty Lansdowne ?.

por wrote:
    Would it not be better to have 11,000 hard core Shels fans in Tolka rather than a half empty Lansdowne ?.

Of course it would, but we all know what happens when there is this much interest in a game like this. The tickets never go to those who actually deserve them, and the hardcore fans would end up paying ten or twenty times the face value for tickets.

Oh, and 11,000 hardcore Shels fans, are you having a laugh?

Lansdowne is better from a financial point of view ... Shels have already made a lot of money , hopefully they can put on a good performance tonight to repay the fans ...

Advertisement