Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radar Guns - Any update

Options
  • 04-08-2004 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

I know there was an active thread on this a while back, but the search isn't picking it up, so apologies if there's any repitition.

What's the status on radar guns these days & the validity of speeding fines ?

I was stopped this evening 'allegedly' doing 72 mph in a 60mph zone..... I dispute this - I may have been doing 61 or 62mph but no more. My car has a technical problem that actually inhibits the speed above 55mph, but I'm willing to accept that an extra few mph is possible - downhill with a tail wind !!.

I disputed the call with the Guarda & he told me the camera had made an accurate reading - I asked to see the reading & he told me that the camera was now in use tracking another car and that no record was held on the camera. I asked for a print out & he told me that it wasnt available.

Now where do I stand ??

I was stopped back in April for doing 65mph in a 60mph zone & held my hands up, paid the fine (although no points physically yet on the licence) - but this is wrong, there's no way I was speeding & no way the car could do 72mph at the moment....but its my word against his.....

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

where were you cought andip?the only thing you can do it bring it to court,good chance ya might get away with it every taxi driver i know who has done that got it cleared

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

can you prove the technical problem that restricts the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

where were you cought andip?the only thing you can do it bring it to court,good chance ya might get away with it every taxi driver i know who has done that got it cleared

Cork, onthe Bandon Road - notoriously bad for speed cops, I'm hopping on this one - totally unfair & am tempted to put an ad in the Examiner as there were two cars already pulled in when they stopped me & one immediately after me !
    kbannon wrote:
    can you prove the technical problem that restricts the car?

Very possibly, I'm waiting on a part through an independent garage, but a) whether they'll give me a report on it or b) again its their word against the Guarda.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,386 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wasn't there a big fuss about this a month ago? A court case collapsed because the Gardai did not issue the speeder with a print-out. This was claimed to have major implications for speeding fines

There were posts about it here but since the bulletin board upgrade the search functionality is fúcked up :(

Advertisement