Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optimum Releasing's new label - Optimum Asia!

• 05-08-2004 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, another thread for fans of Asian cinema.

I just got my Azumi DVD today, and I discovered that it was on a new label altogether, Optimum Asia. Which is nice, considering that there's still not that many labels releasing asian movies.

There's Tartan Asia Extreme, Hong Kong Legends/Premier Asia, and the various Arts Magic labels like Eastern Cult Cinema and Warrior. Arts Magic being a pretty piss-poor company altogether who's DVDs always have bugger all extras, but worst of all, the transfer is complete ****e altogether. Which is a pity, as they've quite a catalogue of older movies like the Zatoichi and Babycart films.

So you can understand why I'm rather happy with this news, especially seeing as Optimum have done some very, very good DVDs before, like the brilliant Spirited Away 2-Disc edition. Now, on the Optimum Asia label, they've got the aforementioned Azumi, Grave Of The Fireflies which is finally getting released on Region 2, and another Studio Ghibli film The Cat Returns.

And worthy of much excitement, Shaolin Soccer is finally getting released in october!!!

Brilliance tbh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

any idea if its the american shaolin soccor or the orginal..
    the american one its about 20 minutes shorter according to imdb :eek:
    been waiting for a good while for this to show up :mad:

oh and azumi any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

ummm, isnt the ghibli stuff produced by disney ?
    shaolin soccer, will most likely be uncut, but i'd still reccomend ye pick up the r3 directors cut.
    tbh i rarely buy uk dvds of asian movies, since ye can generally get them cheaper,faster and better straight fom the source(asia obviously)
    i do make a habit of buying r1 criterion asian movies though, as they have awesome extras :D

btw, seen gozu yet ? great stuff :D the cinema i was in, was in stitches laughing at parts, great dark oddball humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Chad, I'm assuming it will be the original, because as a lot of asian films are re-cut when they're released by American companies, they never do it for UK/European releases. And yes, Azumi was very good. Far more serious a film than Versus, but still very OTT and silly. The fights seem to flow very well, and the cinematography is quite good altogether. Though the film didn't start off to well I though.

Herobear, no, the Ghibli stuff isn't produced by Disney, they just release it in the states, and hence, plaster their name all over it so people think it is a Disney product. Not seen Gozu yet either.

Advertisement