Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only played the first training mission so far

Options
  • 31-03-2001 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

One thing... read the License agreement.

Some of it is a bit disturbing. For example it is illegal to play the game in an internet cafe. You have to buy a site license from Sierra. Also illegal to use it for matchmaking. (I'm serious! smile.gif)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Matchmaking??? yikes
    hows your fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

play some more ***** and tell us what its like, eg FPS, graphics, HUD, easy to play?

Wow^n

Played online. Doom is to Quake3 what Tribes2 is to Tribes.

Unbelivable! smile.gif There is just too much to mention in it, but here some cool bits.

1. Inv Stations. You set your load out before you enter the station, then just run in and *zap* your loaded up.

2. The command console is done much better. Everything is in a dropdown list. Also you can control command units (eg. Turrets) without getting into a command center.

3. Ships, ships, ships. Some of the ships are really cool. I like the jet bike (ground) + the scout. There is a ship called the Shrike which flies like the lunar lander. I tried using it but it is very hard to fly, but I saw some guy use it like a mid-air spinning turret. It can certainly take a scout down with ease. Even how the ships are built are cool looking.

4. Loadouts. Only two I thought were kind of cool was the shock lance + Stealth pack. The shock lance is an instant kill but you have to stand right beside them. Stealth pack is now like predator. Sniper rifle doesn't seem to be as powerful.

There is lots more, gfx, gameplay... it's just... breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Wow^n

Played online. Doom is to Quake3 what Tribes2 is to Tribes.
    </font>

Don't you mean Tribes is to Tribes2 what Doom is to Quake3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I want it now, but the release date is 13th of April on Game's website frown.gif And I didn't think to pre-order frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]:
    Don't you mean Tribes is to Tribes2 what Doom is to Quake3?</font>

Blegh... yea. ack.. I've had no sleep, the game is just too addictive.

Some other stuff.
    - The cloaking device just fricken rocks. It can be stopped if you know what you look for, for example if it's raining when you run you create splashes where your footsteps are. I find if you jump instead of running it's harder to see you.

- Skiing is part of the game. It seems the way to do away with a bug people couldn't choose if it was a bug not is not. However, they changed it so all you have to do is hold jump and you automatically ski. So even a newbie can ski.

- There are rivers and lakes in it! The grav cars/bikes hover over the water. It's pretty cool.

- My favorite vechile now is a toss up between the grav bike for it's high speed land hugging or the Bomber.

The bomber is great if you have a crew that knows what it is doing. I tend to drive as I can almost outfly the incoming heat seekers. Meanwhile the guy on the bottom part has a cannon turret and Bomb option to do saturation bombing. The guy in the back is just like a normal passenger, however you can get flares as grenades (as well as FB), but if a heatseeker is incoming he throws a flare over and the heatseeker gets confused.

- This isn't something I have looked at in great detail. But they have a lot of pre-game stuff in the game. What I mean is when you register your player you can register a clan or ask to join a clan or ask people to join. Also handles the scheduling for playing games, etc as well as a web browser, IRC + email.

- Lastly there is already a lot of experienced players. I guess they are from T1. Playing against one team and they flew thier bomber at high altitude using the bomber guy to act as painter while an assualt tank mortored the hell out base from safe behind a hill.

... IMHO I would go as far as to say this would dance on HALO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I am ordereing my copy right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Yeah, keep them coming, your comments are more fun to read than the countless T2 previews from people who never talk about what it's like to actually play the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Shup snaggle you buttmunch hehe

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

What would be the fastest way to get the game at this stage? It'll have to be mail order as I'm nowhere near a decent games shop, but what's the best bet for getting it quick? At the minute I'll probably ring up Game grafton street on friday and try and mail order it then, which would make it wednesday/thursday when it arrives, but there's probably a faster way?

Fly to America? smile.gif Or if you know someone who is flying to America ask them to bring it back.

Some other stuff...

- You can run people over. Very funny to squish people.

- Grav bikes can pull stunts. If you hit a ramp just right you can pull flips or spins. Landing on your head will kill you. Also if you down after taking off when heading for water the bike pops under then bobs back up further on.

- Mobile Base is pretty awsome. Very slow, but once deployed it is almost impossible to take out. The turret on top takes out pretty much any plane/vechile that comes near and it also jams cloaking devices.

- You can buy different kinds of turrets. So if your base turret is a mortor, you can buy a missle or Anti-aircraft one (and a couple others) and plonk it on instead. Personally I think this is a bit overpowering or just forces people to take out turrets more. As you can turn your base into a no-fly zone in seconds.

- Sensor jammer pack jams cloaking device. frown.gif

Oh yea, the flashbangs are funny. Not like CS flashbangs. At close range your blind for a good 10 seconds.

Throw one into an enemy crowd and fire one shot and watch as they all kill themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Hey Hobbes. You dont know me Im a collegue and long time friend of Jaggeh wink.gif and a TOTAL Tribes head smile.gif Jag got me into it and now i OEn him at it of course wink.gif but ownage aside biggrin.gif we the under privilaged people of Ireland who wont get t2 till possibly the 12th but hopefully the 6th need to know MORE MORE MORE about it smile.gif Thanks HObbeh biggrin.gif

Quothe the Raven, "JennyRooba!" ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sensor jammer pack</font>

lol they went all out with the technical names biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info Hobbes i just wet myself reading this and now im more excited then ever...

HURRY TRIBES2 HURRY!!!!

One last thing.... which is annoying the heck out of me when you get someone who doesn't know.

1. All the vehicles have health+energy. Thrusters, Shields and certain weapons link directly to the ships energy.

2. Chain gun (assault tank), Cannon (Bomber) link to energy. Mortor (Assault tank) + Bombs (bomber) also link to energy but don't drain it as much.

3. Trying to use heavy draining weapons in a serious firefight will make you much easier to kill (fatal if there is a missile lock).

4. In the assault tank you should use the cannon for air attacks and the mortor for ground. If there is a bad guy in close let the driver run them over (and lob the occasional mortor).

5. DO NOT DROP BOMBS AT LOW ALTITUDE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks for the info Hobbler!!!

How's the connection/net code? And does the voice comms stuff b0rk it?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

I have a high spec machine + cable so not sure if I'm a good judge. Worst ping I played at was 150 (normally 50) and it was playable. You can change the settings as well. For example I could only see my gun when I looked down, so I boosted it to max and I can see my feet and my shadow.

Oh, each level has certain environmental effects. Like fog, ground fog, meteor storms, lightning (hits high energy signatures), lava, rain, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

The netcode seems to be quite good. It was playable at least with a 270-350 ping so it should be fine when connecting to an irish/uk server with 200ish pings. Not sure how well it'll cope though on a really crowded server.

As for machine specs. A celeron2 850mhz with a geforce ddr can barely handle all the eye candy at 1024x768. It's playable but I'll need to use the default settings (which doesn't use the highest details settings) to get competitive framerates. There're a lot of settings to play with anyway to make it run faster like the shadow detail level and draw items plus player Hobbes mentioned.

As for the game itself. It's big improvement over the beta and first impression is good. It's not just Tribes with pretty graphics which for some people will inevitably be a bad thing. A couple of random thoughts:

1). Chaingun will not be as dominant as it used to be with the wider spread of the bullets. I think spin up is slightly slower too but I could be just imagining things.

2). That assault tank is evil. Don't try to take it out on your own in light armour.

3). Skiing. Maps are designed with less smooth rolling hills to ski with and some really steep slopes heavies can't get over. Speed is capped using air resistance so heavies will no longer reach those incredible top speed. Transport will be important for heavy assault.

Note on the chaingun. It is the most powerful up close in your face weapon which does not use the energy in your suit and has no splash damage.

If your cloaked and standing right beside a light you can kill them before they even realise what is happening. Heavies tend to drop to half health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

C'mon Hobbes - help us out here. It wouln't be released till the 14th here and Amazon.com won't ship it out of the U.S

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Bubbles amazon.co.uk have a release date of the 6th if thats any good to you

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bubbles:
    It wouln't be released till the 14th here
    :/
    </font>

You gotta be ****tin me.
    mad.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I think ill get sick of black and white befor i spend another $50 on tribes 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Hobbes:
    you can kill someone in seconds at long range in tribes1 if you know how to use it. You prob stopped playing before people figured out how to use it properly. Chaingun is meant to be good at close range but the t2 one is a lot less powerful compared to the t1 version.

As for sneaky tactics using cloak, 2 words, motion sensors. Any good defence will put a couple down. Doubt you'll see people using it much in clan matches but then again one sneaky **** with this can ruin your base.

25-35 fps on my system with max detail, max testure quality, 800x600 res on a server with about 16-20 players. Think will need to turn settings down a bit. I think people who doesn't have a geforce should consider upgrading!

The only complaints I have about the game.

1. Morons who shoot you off the vehicle station then buy themselves a grav bike leaving 8+ people waiting. Or your busy trying to load up your ship and they disc your ship off the station and normally killing people in the process.

2. "Mine!". I ran this guy over in a tank that was carrying our flag, I backed up to move out of the way and ran over one of our guys. Said "Sorry" then got out and returned the flag. He starts screaming that I killed him on purpose just to get the point. He doesn't realise I loose a point for killing one of my own team.

3. Inconsiderate vehicle people. You really need to watch your energy level if your a gunner or driver. You can cripple your ship in seconds.

If your the gunner and you hear a missile lock stop shooting. Even the smallest shields helps. It also means that the pilot can make a final short burst of afterburners to try and dodge the missile before it hits.

Pilot shouldn't afterburn unless there is nothing around and you need to get to the action fast.

Tailgunner (assuming you want to stay up for a very long time) should carry repair kit + flares. Also a chain gun. ALSO LET THE HEAVY IN THE TAILGUNNER POSITION.

Oddly enough TK is low on most servers I've been on. There seems to be some kind of TK-Punish, but not sure what.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 03-04-2001).]

Ive now played it and it oens wink.gif.

1:Most satisfying thing ive done so far shooting down a bomber on its way to my base.
    (watching the missile home in and then the huge explosion in the air was just priceless)

2:Funniest thing thats happened so far.
    (Mined two inventory stations watched a bloke hit the mine from behind a forcfield then he spotted me shot the forcefield with a blaster and it bounced off and hit him in the face killing him. Twas hilarious)

3 redface.gifther lil kewl things MPB(Mobile Point Base)Good laugh watching as the turret shoots down jet packers smile.gif. Air Duelling is alot more possible in T2 ive noticed me and another bloke were duelling under water while rising out of it into the air spiralling around eachother shooting discs was amazing!!!

All in all a Great game.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Matchmaking??? yikes
    hows your fps?
    </font>

Is fps now some other abbrieviation?? lol like a/s/l?? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Fun Photos and Sex?
    Have i invented a new TLA? Am i now l33t? smile.gif