Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Feast For Crows

Options
  • 05-08-2004 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Amazon.co.uk dropped me an email saying that the next George R. R. Martin would be released in September at the same time as they said it would almost certainly be delayed . Personally i'd reckon early next Year . oh well more time to theorize whether about House Stark will survive . :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

http://www.georgerrmartin.com

Click the Feast For Crows link towards the bottom left. It'll be next spring at the earliest I'd say. Glad to see he's putting the effort in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Great! That'll give me time to catch up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 smartcard

The man is a GOD of fantasy literature and as such must not be rushed!
    I got that same mail the other day, I don't care when he's finished it as long as his story telling is as good.
    Loved the Arya chapter from AFFC on his site, haven't read the Cersei one yet though.
    House Stark won't die out, They're the Kings of winter and remember, "Winter Is Coming" :)
    I'd like to chat about this but I don't want to give away any spoilers to anyone who hasn't read up to book three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

The wait for AFFC is certainly frustrating. But as Martin points out on his own site, better he waits until he is happy with it than rushing it out. Given the high quality of the first three novels I think we can trust him to deliver another classic. I just wish he would hurry it up a bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Take heed Robert Jordan! If you're going to have a two-year gap between books, try and use the time to write something with a little more quality than a Terry Goodkind novel. :p

And yus, I suffer along with you all for A Feast for Crows :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I suffer too. In fact I only started reading just when Book 3 came out - I read all back-to-back. Now I know it's better to get the quality but he's pushing it jjjusst a little. Noone wants Robert "Finish the fcuking series" Jordan situation but other writers of high quality - Robin Hobb, Stephen Erickson - are still able to work faster than this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I know this is going to be unpopular but I actually find George Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" books to be tedious rubbish - so far. I'm half way through the first book and its taken me a month to get there. I keep picking up other books and reading them instead. Nothing happens, and if it does its after a long, drawn out period, and then happens suddenly and is usually rather predictable. Just my initial opinion - and I'm hoping it'll change when I read more - but he seems like the fantasy equivalent of John Grisham to me.

Give the book more time it'll pay off.
    I have to say though it's kinda refreshing to hear from someone who DOESN'T particularly like ASOIAF I think it'd be good to get a couple more critical views in.

As for Robert Jordan, I love The Wheel of Time, but I was very disappointed by Crossroads of Twilight, the story didn't seem to move at all. I knew it was going to be hard to top Winter's Heart but still!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

smartcard wrote:
    As for Robert Jordan, I love The Wheel of Time, but I was very disappointed by Crossroads of Twilight, the story didn't seem to move at all. I knew it was going to be hard to top Winter's Heart but still!!
    Umm were you being sarcastic? Winter's Heart was an insult. Tedious, drawn out crap. You're actually the first person I've encountered who likes it - most of those into the series haven't really enjoyed a book since the rather excellent Lord of Chaos (Book 6). In fact Winter's Heart enraged me so much that I haven't yet bothered to read Crossroads of Twilight. Robert Jordan seems incapable of winding up threads, instead creating more and more plotlines and boring, teritary characters to create a unbridled mess. Compare him to the VERY carefully plotted world of Steven Erickson... it's insane.

As to hostyle - there's a particular moment in Book 1 that, if it dooesn't make you change your mind about the book and the quality and strength of the series, then I guess nothing will. I'll say no more but anyone who's read the book should know the moment I refer to.

I get your point ok, the series slowed right down after Lord of Chaos. He keeps adding new story threads and characters when he should be wrapping up old ones. But I still think the end of Winter's Heart was good, if it's the one I'm thinking of :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Steven999

hmmm ....... Winter's Heart? . is that the one where where he cleanses saidin? yeah the ending was great . but the next book did ZERO with it . (apart from all the women just staring into the sky) . my prob is the same as the others , hes not advancing the storyline . e.g.-back in book 9 or so there was a hint of firearms being invented but here we are and still nought . my expectation can only last so long.

Advertisement