Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alien Vs Predator

• 05-08-2004 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Initially i was very excited about this film, then Paul "Resident Evil" Anderson stepped in to direct, and got very very sad, now the movie has been given a PG-13 rating in the U.S. I think i'm going to cry. Maybe it might still be okay....just maybe? But i doubt it :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

PG-13? Argh!

I'm still looking forward to it though. Loved Alien/Aliens, loved Predator, now we get both.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yeah the PG-13 has me disappointed as well, I've liked all the Predator movies and all except the last Alien movies (it sucked tbh)
    anyone notice it comes out in US on 13th Aug but won't come out in the UK till 22nd Oct

This is why films get pirated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the trailers looked ok but crossovers very rarely deliver in the end. freddy vs jason anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

this file will be a total popcorn flick,
    pay the ticket remove brian and place in pickle jar and enjoy.

thats what i intend to do, but will not be in the cinema, will by on DVD and save €57 paying for 2 adults and food to see this in the cinema. just as much fun on my home setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Alien3, Alien4, Predator2 (replacing Arnie with some drug pushers -wtf) all sucked.

So its been 17yrs or so since we have seen any good Alien / Predator action (unless of course you read the Dark Horse comics &/or played the multiplayer PC game)

I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Alien3, Alien4, Predator2 (replacing Arnie with some drug pushers -wtf) all sucked.

So its been 17yrs or so since we have seen any good Alien / Predator action (unless of course you read the Dark Horse comics &/or played the multiplayer PC game)

I have my doubts.

Predator 2 didnt suck, Alien 3 yes sucked big time and 4 was not much better, but AvP looks like it could be good, but Im not holding up much hope, unless cameron does another of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

the trailers looked ok but crossovers very rarely deliver in the end. freddy vs jason anyone?
    I quite enjoyed that actually, Ronni Yu did a great job, taking 2 awful film franchises and putting them together to create something good, he also managed to ressurect the Chucky movies. However Anderson doesn't have his talent, and a lot will depend on the script.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Batbat wrote:
    Predator 2 didnt suck, Alien 3 yes sucked big time and 4 was not much better, but AvP looks like it could be good, but Im not holding up much hope, unless cameron does another of them

Predator 2 was terrible, I cringe even thinking about how bad it was. AvP looks good in the latest trailer all the ones previus to that looked terrible. Considering Resident Evil was pretty lame we cannt hold out much hope for this. How can you have a PG13 Alien or Predator movie? By all rights the combination of the 2 should be over 25's or somthing! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, that PG-13 rating is gonna make it terrible!

Need i remind you all of Terminator 3?!

:eek:

I have my doubts.

I quite liked Alien 3! It could have been better if David Fincher had more of a say in where the film was going.

Alien 4 (Resurrection) was truly awful though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Batbat wrote:
    4 a bit better than 3? I think Im gonna cry, 3 was an excellent film, the Directors Cut added so much to that film, as for Ressurection, it was never made, just forget it exsists.

Pugsley wrote:
    4 a bit better than 3? I think Im gonna cry, 3 was an excellent film, the Directors Cut added so much to that film, as for Ressurection, it was never made, just forget it exsists.

er Aliens 3 was a disaster, its one of the worst sequels in history, this is why, Alien 1 = cool scary beautiful lovingly shot, alien 2, = more aliens much more , continues from first in logical way + queen alien, the what nest? alien 3 = 1 alien again = lame, all the rest of the survivors die in crash from 2 = totally lame, a cop out, **** english actors + boring. = ****

Alien 3 ranks in the same league as Star trek 5 ie it should be wiped from the history books, a franchise killer (almost), er alien4 who had the idea for the cutesy kid alien bah ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone else noticed how films these days are much less violent and have an avergae lower rating thatn say movies from the 80s and even 90s ?

bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Batbat wrote:

Predator 2 was a mess !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Alien 3 was great. This new movie however sounds dreadful. Cue synopsis!
    The iconic monsters from the two franchises battle each other on Earth for the first time on film, as they have in the comic-book world. The discovery of an ancient pyramid buried in Antarctica sends a team of scientists and adventurers to the frozen continent. There, they make an even more terrifying discovery: two alien races enaged in an ultimate battle.

No matter who wins, we lose.

And they dug Lance Henriksen up (to play another Bishop I presume). And at PG-13 somehow I doubt we're going to get much chest bursting action. And that "no matter who wins" crap, surely if predator wins their race will go back to going sport hunting and killing humans who are capable of putting up a fight (unlike me). Christ I sound like the comic bookstore guy from the Simpsons.

Worst synopsis ever!

John2 wrote:
    Alien 3 was great. This new movie however sounds dreadful. Cue synopsis!

And they dug Lance Henriksen up (to play another Bishop I presume). And at PG-13 somehow I doubt we're going to get much chest bursting action. And that "no matter who wins" crap, surely if predator wins their race will go back to going sport hunting and killing humans who are capable of putting up a fight (unlike me). Christ I sound like the comic bookstore guy from the Simpsons.

Worst synopsis ever!

Alien 3 was great pffff, mad your mad!!

John2 wrote:
    And they dug Lance Henriksen up (to play another Bishop I presume).

Hes playing Charles Bishop Weyland of Weyland Corp, who made the Bishop robots and was the "Company" Ripley worked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

any pics of alienised predatos out there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pugsley wrote:
    Agreed. How anyone could possibly claim Resurrection is superior to Alien3 without either 1) be lying or 2) being insane is beyond me. Alien 3 - particularly the special edition form - is a vastly superior to Alien: Resurrection. Alien 3 had all the pathos and bleak outlook that was always constant in the alien universe. Ripley's character was, much like the prisoners, condemned already and her ultimate sacrifice made sense. There are some gorgeous shots, with great use of Fincher's trademark ability with lighting. It might be a bit slow for those viewers with the attention span of a gnat, but there's some real beauty in here admidst its negatives.

Resurrection, on the other hand, is despicable, vile, excrement. By cloning Ripley it made a mockery of her sacrifice in Alien3. The new "ideas" behind it of semi-human aliens makes me want to smash stuff in rage, even all these years later :o It rapes the franchise that spawned it, a mutant offspring which - most offensively - masquerades itself as nothing more than a dumb action popcorn movie. I renounce this movie and do my best to pretend it never existed. I have a bad feeling I'll be doing the same for the latest popcorn entry in the france coming this Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I am at an absolute loss as to how ANYONE could consider Alien3 a good film. It was absolute rubbish, it stayed pretty much at that awful level for the other films.

"Let's build up some great characters and stab all the fans in the face by killing them off in some lame crash because we can't recast them"

Even Fincher (the director) disowned the film, tried to tack the blame on FOX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i had this cool avi file on my computer before the hard drive had to be wiped where i took the last 20 minutes of alien resurrection and spliced it with the ending of aliens, so every time you were meant to see the newborn you got a scene of the alien queen instead from aliens. Course the final fight is the aliens one with newt being cut out and having Ryder instead.

It wasnt pretty but it made me feel better being able to watch resurrection without that horrible newborn in it.

on avp...

good news (i think) is that the alien queen WILL appear in it. Anderson told empire recently that he went back to the original cameron designs which were impossible to do in 1986 and is using them for a *young* Queen in this film, so i assume the different design will be mostly on her movement (legs in aliens seem unusually thin) ARE THE SKETCHES IN THE ALIENS BOX SET?. I think the single most appealing aspect i've seen in the trailers is the alien 3 design on the floor which is cool and would love to have it as a poster or tile or somehting.

If they ignore the whole noble hunter aspect of the predators i will be angry also if they fail to jump on the whole predalien aspect would be a disapointment.

the PG-13 is a serious disapointment. But they are proud thinking to bring in the game fans/comic fans with this (seeing this is really a comic franchise rather then the original film franchises?)

and finally...as a huge alien fan i can confindently state that alien 3 truely does rock so stop yer bitchen and praise the original trilogy in all its glory!

FINCHER DISOWNED THE FILM because the studio dumped the project on him and didnt give him much creative freedom. (cast, script etc had all been done when they dragged fincher on because previous director pulled out)

if anything spelled disaster being pulled on to the project with only weeks before filming does it very well. But Fincher dispite hating the project pulled it off alot better then alot of other directors would have.

on the killing of newt and hicks. yes it was'nt popular but the alien films had alreay set into a mould (their hav been many studant papers written on this) and this mould required ripley to be alone and excluded from the overall group also the film had to start where the other left off so a 'they went away' excuse would have been just as bad.. Imagine if hicks had survived. Where's the suspense? Ripley's pleas would have been listened to because there's this pumped marine behind her showing the scars and threatening to break the man's jaw. Maybe letting Newt survive could have put a good twist on the plot but maybe it could have gone too far (they almost raped ripley imagine the outcry if little newt had been attacked)

and lets just say they did survive and had been recast? You would be b*tchin that the new actors on it were p*ss and that they shouldnt have bothered and just killed them instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I just cant get the, aliens are the penis, predators are clitoris theory outa my head :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Following "the mould" at the expense of the story is bad writing.

I don't care if Fincher made the film in one day and the script was written while the writer was being stabbed with pitchforks, it doesn't make it a good film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to AvP. Both Alien and Predator films only work when there's plenty of hard core ultra-violence and I can't see much of that in a PG rated film. Ah well I'm purposefully being pessimistic so that I'll have no high expectations when I go to see it and thus not be disappointed.

As for Alien 3, well I loved it. So dark and violent, like a film noir with a viscous alien thrown in.

I liked Predator 2 as well. Except for the obvious goof where Gary Busey's character gets cut in half and his torso for some reason just doesn't hit the floor it was a great mindless action/sci-fi flick. And also some of the best death scenes in film history :D .

bus77 wrote:
    I just cant get the, aliens are the penis, predators are clitoris theory outa my head :)

actually the offical term for the sexual fears centered around the alien in the first film is 'Vagina Dentate' (sp?) wh8ich translates as a vagina with teeth???

some theories believe the alien repreasents all the fears for transexuals and hermaphodites etc (feminine creature with penis head and a vagina like mouth withanother penis inside...hmmm indeed interesting)

all in all it proves we film studants have too much time on our hands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheBride

Penis schmenis,

But why did Aliens3 have to be on a planet of mal-chromosomed male prisoners?
    ****ers no one gives a **** about?
    Where were the chicks? Surely a settlement of colonists: girls, kids, crusties etc would have been such better food for Alien infestation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

TheBride wrote:
    Penis schmenis,

But why did Aliens3 have to be on a planet of mal-chromosomed male prisoners?
    ****ers no one gives a **** about?
    Where were the chicks? Surely a settlement of colonists: girls, kids, crusties etc would have been such better food for Alien infestation.
    Eh that was kinda the point? That noone cared? That they were expendable? I mean clearly you couldn't have women there in a male prison full of psychopaths. And the alien didn't decide to crash land on the planet... so I'm not quite sure what your point is? You mean why did the script do this? Landing on a colony with families and all again had been already done in Aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

some people dont like changes...

(not that I liked Alien3 either -just didnt seem to be the right movie to complete the trilogy.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Creature wrote:
    I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to AvP. Both Alien and Predator films only work when there's plenty of hard core ultra-violence and I can't see much of that in a PG rated film. Ah well I'm purposefully being pessimistic so that I'll have no high expectations when I go to see it and thus not be disappointed.

agreed, properly gona be ****,
    There has to be loads of blood in this or there just wasting there time
    I mean look how popular Aliens was!
    Dam I love the directors cut of that film so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm looking foward to avp. i'm not expecting a massive amount of deep-thinking. i'm expecting over the top action. it's 2 alien races with a few humans in the middle.. what, precisely do you WANT?

as for alien3, it's far superior to resurrection. alien3's theatrical release was poor, but watch the directors' cut. the special features explain it very well. there was no script, plan or proper budget when they went to shoot it. it's amazing how they pulled it off. and now, fincher is one of my favourite directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

looks okay, will definately check it out

from the clips posted i see
    they replaced arnies "you are one ugly mother fu*ker" with some stupid looking gimp saying " you ugly son of a (stopped because he takes slap from preditor)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

freedy vs jason was hilarious not as funny as jasonX which had me in tears though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I wont be watchin it anyway. I allready got done with PG13 Robocop3 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Yep, PG-13 what a joke. I'm not going to watch this film as a point of principle.
    Predator 2 ruined the Predator franchise, but the Alien franchise could still hold it's head high(I loved them all, preferrd Resurrection to 3 though).
    I hope this bombs big time at the box-office, fooking Hollywood pricks.

who here has read the original avp comic?

i think they should have stuck to that. ITs violent but also very good in storyline etc. And the opening showing how the predators use the aliens is so very cool!

I read some of the novels and they were pretty good, but were pretty gorey, so i really dont see how this is going to work as a 12PG or 15PG over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I read one of the graphic novels and the story seemed non-existant. Something about women cloned to be trophy wives or something. Truly awful stuff. I liked the Aliens comics/novels though, not exactly masterpieces but they passed the time. Now what's the bets Hollywood rediscovers the old Robocop Vs Terminator video game? Or perhaps Super Mario Vs Sonic The Hedgehog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Reports from early test screenings do not bode well. The useless director has reused the whole plot of RE only stuck in Aliens and Preditors instead of Zombies and other monsters. The editing is ment to be woeful with crappy weird camera positions and awful slow down during combat.

The preditors and aliens move all wrong and more like WWE wrestlers than sleek and fast killing machines. The story is the usual sci fi lark and nothing the viewer wont see coming a mile away. Maybe re-editing certain scenes can do this movie some justice but somehow I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Movie looks like its going to bomb...

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Movies&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=42302

No premiear = **** Movie

Delays the word getting out and they make more mony back before everyone hears its ****.

Venom wrote:
    The editing is ment to be woeful with crappy weird camera positions and awful slow down during combat.
    Anderson f**ks up another movie then i guess. Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

PG13: It's definitely going to be awful if it has such a low rating. Obviously the distributors market research revealed that the young teenage male audience might be their only possible saviour t the box office. I wonder at what stage the PG13 decision was taken - pre, during or post production?

From the second I heard they were making AVP I was predisposed to it being abject crap. No surprise here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Comingsoon.net have a very fair review of AVP up. It doesn't bash the movie for the sake of it like a lot of other sites have being doing .That really pissed me off btw, it was impossible to get an impartial preview/review on the movie. Everyone's a fanboy who wanted it done differently. Everyone wanted to go back to the roots of Alien and create a more atmospheric, suspensful movie - myself included. But apparantly what we get in this movie is exactly what it says on the tin. The mother of all fights between two iconic monsters. And now that I'v got that into my head, I'm rather looking forward to seeing it. Should be a good popcorn flick...... Then again, it could be ****. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 allyourbase

i saw the movie and it rocked, rocked I say! it's only fault was that it had to end. It was skilfully done, and no part of it was beond the "mythology" of either of the two movies trails that lead to this story. Even the very ending, which may be extremely objectionable to a select few of you pizza eating pudgie boys was thrilling. what say ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

PG13?!?!
    God i am so ****!ng sick of hollywood studios ruining franchises like this, by placing stupid age ratings on the movies BEFORE theyre made! Come on..how the hell can you have either an alien OR a predator movie that ISNT 18's?? Those films (with the exception of the excerable resurrection) were ultra violent masterpieces. (And yes that includes predator 2!)
    Making T3 into a pg13 was a travesty..doing it to an aliens/predator movie it tantamount to treason. ****!ng hollywood bastards just trying to milk another licence and get as many kiddies to see it as possible. I guess they didnt cop on that both movies A) Already have enormous following and would guarantee a box office hit IF it was in any way a decent film and B) aliens and predator movies were some of the biggest movies of the 80's and were 18's!!
    And as someone else pointed out, after seeing the clips, the aliens and predator just dont seem to move as they should, the fight between the 2 monsters looked more like a wwe slobberknocker than a fight between two ultra hard killing machines.

On a side note, didnt know anderson directed event horizon...i love that film!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

Interesting.
    There appears to be an overload of male teen testostone around here.
    Wow, if it doesnt have a cert that guarentees mayhem, I'm gonna bítch about it and put ti down before I see it...

I didn't see an 18's cert on Indiana Jones and the Raiders fo the Lost Ark, and that is a classic.

I for one am looking forward to it, because I liked the comics. But I'm not going to the cinema to expect an art house film, or some sort of cerebral workout. I mean, how many philisophical discussions do you think the predators have around the dinning table of an evening.
    Of course its going to be a pop corn flick.
    Jesus, you all get so upset whe a film comes out and you know its going to be another holywood film, and yet want something else. To me, thats a great definition of stupidity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The PG 13 cert has no effect on this movie. More gore would would not have made AvP any better a film. If your a fan of the original Alien and Preditor movies or the comics you will enjoy AvP. While its not the best in the Alien and Preditor movies its much better than Alien 4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 allyourbase

ok, I must be stoopid becuase I actually went into this movie not knowing it was pg13. I kew something was wrong when the first chest-burst scene was lame, but i think a lot of good movies can be done as pg13 and I thought this was a great movie. I do personally think hollywood is trying to make a buck, and every film wants to be pg13 bacuse that hits the widest audience. Only inexperienced fim makers of those who are so experienced they don't care make "R" rated films. Remember when "X" used to be not just for nudie films?

Predator 1 was a classic, alien 1 was awesome (don't make me slap you - it was a horror suspense film, and yes aliens 2 was great but they were different types of movies) aliens 3 and ressurection are best forgotten. Predator 2 was a good movie in a lot of ways, but dammit, I just didn;t like it. I wanted more somehow...

AVP is the bect thing I have seen in a long time. All it needed were 2 more hours of Aliens and Predators in WWF mode while the humans hid in the shadows (much like our ancestors, the rats).

AVP rocks, and I declar that everyone on this board agrees with me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement