Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For all you self builders out there

Options
  • 05-08-2004 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard that there is a company starting up very shortly in Nth Kildare, that you will basically be able to walk into with your house drawings on a specific cad package on disk. Present them with your drawings and they will build your house from plans. It's not a wooden frame house but concrete. Basically each wall will be precast from concrete, the electrics and trunking for the plumbing will be put on the wall and the dry lining then attached. You will need to have specific instructions of all you electric sockets, light switches, plumbing runs, etc, because there is no going back after its delivered.
    Each wall is then delivered to your site and you will just need a contractor to put it all together. First floors will also be concrete. I would say for this sort of thing, you will need to be extremely acurate with your measurements, cos with wooden frames at least there is a bit of play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

has this ever materialised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Sounds like a modular home, there's a lot of them doing it in the US at the moment. They're similar to the drive thru McDonalds you see you see going up at home. Comes on a truck and is all assembled within a day bar getting your plumbing and electric connected up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Has been in operation for many years.

Company based in the midlands, Tek-Kon have been doing modular building design in concrete with all the building systems in.

They use a cad programme called Speedikon, by Autodesk , if memory serves me well. Similar package as a standard 3d wireframe / solid modelling software for timberframe , steel design. Piece of cake design wise, with the right package of course.

kadman:)

Advertisement