Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla power steering

Options
  • 05-08-2004 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

I have a 1990 toyota corolla and a scrapped 89 corolla with power steering.
    I was going to take the ps out of the 89 and place it in the 1990 car.

Has anyone ever done this, how difficult is it?
    If I was to do it myself what parts would I need to remove from the 89.

Id be interested to hear from anybody in the know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You would definitely need to swap the steering rack from the 89 into the 90 plus you'll have to install the power steering pump and drive system (belts, pulleys) for the pump. You may also need to swap the steering column from the 89 into the 90 - the columns are probably the same but you never know, they could be different specs eg in terms of length. If you are well used to doing various jobs on cars and have good mechanical ability, it should be an OK job. If your level of mechanical ability extends to changing oil and not much else, then I would say leave it.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Brian,
    thanks for the reply.
    Have you done something similar before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

i understand that 90 car has no power steering
    so, steering column has to be changed . rest of the gear bolts on to the engine , well maybe except reservoir.

steering wheel will be probably bigger in the car with no PS which has to be changed too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No I haven't done that job before but from what I know of car mechanicals I think the advice I gave should be reasonably accurate. There is a possibility that you may not need to swap the rack or the column to install PAS in your 1990 Corolla. The rack fitted to a non-PAS Corolla may be the same rack as the PAS one just without the power steering ancillaries connected up. However I don't know. I do know that many cars are not like this and do use a different rack for PAS/non PAS. Also, as Gmodified says, you'll definitely have to bolt the power steering pump etc. onto the engine of your 90 corolla. I wouldn't worry about getting the right sized steering wheel though, I'd say they're the same size and if they're not it's a trivial matter to swap steering wheels around.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

the thing about size of the steering is that many car no PAS cars have bigger wheel which compensates a little bit for lack of PAS. so, when you have PAS installed there is no need for oversized steering wheel as he has donor car already, he should change the wheel if different on this model. Dispute the fact oversized steering wheel gives you even lighter steering it could proof to be too sensitive for soem people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

My sis has a 1992 mk3 golf without PAS, and my gawd its a B*tch to park or manouvre. I was thinking of doing a similiar coversion with the parts from a scrapper.
    The other option would be to get a steering wheel from an old bus... :)

Advertisement