Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats an FOAF?

Options
  • 05-08-2004 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

when I click it I get an XML file. Is it supposed to mean something?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Friend of a Friend? Not really sure what it is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Hobart wrote:
    Friend of a Friend? Not really sure what it is tbh.
    I read a FAQ about FOAF and I still don't see the point of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We would like to apologise for any confusion regarding the aforementioned FOAF, this is a spelling mistake and should read FOAD.

Thx

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AFAIK you need some client program that can make use of the XML file.

Visit: http://www.foaf-project.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So it's not an foaf, it's An Foad? Is that like An Post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

When you click on it you seem to get the same people for that user as are the user's friends. How do oyu add users to your friends btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Gordon wrote:
    So it's not an foaf, it's An Foad? Is that like An Post?

Fúck Off And Die, Gordon.

FOAF is a bit of a weird one, google for it to see the idea. Dunno why it's running here though..

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Boston wrote:
    When you click on it you seem to get the same people for that user as are the user's friends. How do oyu add users to your friends btw.
    Click on their nick, at the bottom of the list of options which appears is "Add to your Buddy List".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cloud is big into it. We dont ask him for fear of prompting another round of massive changes... its some kind of social network mapping project... *shrug*.

DeV.

CuLT wrote:
    Click on their nick, at the bottom of the list of options which appears is "Add to your Buddy List".

yes but they don't seem to come up under friends header. Or is that just buddies that are online at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Boston wrote:
    yes but they don't seem to come up under friends header. Or is that just buddies that are online at the moment.
    It works for me, I just presume it's the same as adding a buddy by clicking on the Friends link and then clicking 'add to my buddy list' from there.

you have 8 people as your buddies, but in your friends thing (the thing with the avatars of other users) there are only four users. I've just got yourself and Typedef as Friends. Maybe it's a case that your on my buddy list and I'm on your's, that makes us all lovely. This is starting to sound fairly camp...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Boston wrote:
    you have 8 people as your buddies, but in your friends thing (the thing with the avatars of other users) there are only four users. I've just got yourself and Typedef as Friends. Maybe it's a case that your on my buddy list and I'm on your's, that makes us all lovely. This is starting to sound fairly camp...
    your bang on iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moriarty wrote:
    Fúck Off And Die, Gordon.

FOAF is a bit of a weird one, google for it to see the idea. Dunno why it's running here though..
    I see now what it is - F*ck off and die, Moriarty, thanks.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DeVore wrote:
    Cloud is big into it. We dont ask him for fear of prompting another round of massive changes... its some kind of social network mapping project... *shrug*.

DeV.

Ah so that was the big experiment he had in mind for us. *Wipes the sweat from his brow*. Phew. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its like a MILF, but less attractive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Here come's the science part....

FOAF is an xml standard that's being used to create a system intelligible format for capturing data on people, their friends and their interests. It's probably part of the semantic web effort which is attempting to come up with standard ways of describing things on the web, such that you can share your models without loosing their meaning and their connections to other topics. In other words the terms I use to describe something can be understood by other users in the way I meant them, and not as something with a similar name (apples as fruit or as computers).

I'm doing my PhD on the area at them moment, so sorry if all of that seems a little dry, it's actually quite interesting honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Advertisement