Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Size Me

• 05-08-2004 12:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last night I watched Super Size Me and all I can say is DAM! I doubt I'll ever eat and McD's ever again after seeing it it totally put me off there food.
    Now previous to this film I've read Fast Food Nation and for the most part this put me off McD's but I firmally believe that SuperSizeMe has topped this off.

For anyone who has not seen or heard of it it goes as follows.

- The lad in the documentary has to eat McD food 3 square meals a day for 30 days, he can only eat food/drink available in McD's thats available on the menu (this includes there water)

- If McD's staff ask him does he want to supersize it, he has to!

- He has to eat everything on the menu atleast once

As well as the above rules, he has to cut down on the amount of walking he does, he has to walk the average that americans walk which is about 5000 steps in a day, he normally walks x2-x3 times that.

All in all it was shocking to watch and I recommend it to everyone, even if you don't like this type of thing its certainly worth watching as it'll get you thinking.
    The trailer is here - http://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx?page=movietrailer_super

IMDB Link Also

Anyone notice there seems to be more & more documentarys coming out in the cinema in recent times?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Heard about this - thought it wasn't coming out until September. Where did you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

vibrant wrote:
    Where did you see it?
    i want to see this too. where'd you catch it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know where Cabaal saw it.

But never underestimate a PC with access to IRC or newsgroups. :)

Really enjoyed it myself! Read my review here!

Recommended!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

*Sniffs* I smell a warez monkey.... *sniff sniff* Nah only joking, probably saw it in america whilst on hols or something.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I was going to watch it, but I like eating in McDs on occasion, and if this'll put me off I don't want to hear about it :) .

• Advertisement

I'm 3/4 of the way through 'Fast Food Nation' and although some of the stuff in there is very shocking, about worker leighbor and what goes on in the slaughterhouses. But i still mosey into burger king on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have'nt seen it but it sounds like another case of an American pointing out
    the bleeding obvious - if I ate 3 portions of Chinese Takeaway everyday for a month and then sat about the place I doubt I'd be in very good shape...its not McDonalds thats bad for you its gouging food and doing nothing to burn it off thats going to kill you.

Mike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mike65 wrote:
    Have'nt seen it but it sounds like another case of an American pointing out
    the bleeding obvious - if I ate 3 portions of Chinese Takeaway everyday for a month and then sat about the place I doubt I'd be in very good shape...its not McDonalds thats bad for you its gouging food and doing nothing to burn it off thats going to kill you.

Mike.

Actually, the entire point of both Fast Food Nation and Supersize Me, as far as I understand it, is that McDonalds is bad for you - or rather, it's nowhere near as healthy as they tried to claim. Notice how they've tried to pre-empt the inevitable bad press that this film is going to generate for them by runnign a series of ads in which they try to claim that they've always been open about the nutritional information pertaining to their food (a move which, to my knowledge of the company, is at best a few months old). Notice as well that the investigative reporter in these films is portrayed as a total muppet - subtle, eh?

Yes, sitting around doing nothing isn't particularly good for you, no matter what you eat. But sitting around doing nothing and eating only McDonald's is a damn sight worse for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

actually if you ate chinese takeaway i'd say you would be quite okay really...as long as you got boiled rice instead of fried, and bought the meals with plenty of vegetables..i mean the chinese have one of the healthiest diets in the world..well they used to anyway...until mc d's came along..now the wee kids over there are gettin all bloated and fat (and not everyone wants to be a sumo wrestler..or is that japan?? :confused: )

Lol that's japan. I'd agree with you to a certain point actually but the vegetables would all be fried and stuff and that's generally a no no. A raw tomato is alot better for you than a fried one tbh. One thing that gets me tho. I dont know if fast food nation talks about it cus i've not finished it yet but, the chemical monosodium glutamate, the mildly addictive chemical. It's in everything!!! Crisps, curries, fast food (?maybe?) bloody everything snacky. It annoys me that companies have to put that in to make people go 'ohh i'll have more of that', without even realising it. It's especially apparent in pringles, 'one ya pop the fun don't stop', too true. Look at the ingrediants on a packet of pringles, or crisps, or anying u eat that makes u think 'mmmm need to eat more of that'. THAT'S what really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

looks like a good film but i does feel like it may fuel that whole McD's made us fat thing the yanks had goin on a while ago
    (Not to generalise I'm aware it was only one group of fat kids in america)

No constantly eating McDonalds makes you fat... if yer sensible you'll only eat fast food in serious moderation...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Fysh wrote:
    McDonalds is bad for you - or rather, it's nowhere near as healthy as they tried to claim. Notice how they've tried to pre-empt the inevitable bad press that this film is going to generate for them by runnign a series of ads in which they try to claim that they've always been open about the nutritional information pertaining to their food (a move which, to my knowledge of the company, is at best a few months old). Notice as well that the investigative reporter in these films is portrayed as a total muppet - subtle, eh?
    Well I'd imagine the recent lawsuit was a stimulus as well. America, and increasingly Ireland, has adopted the blame culture - it's not my fault that my kid is fat because I couldn't cook for him and fed him fast food, it's someone elses! McDonalds have, to my memory, always had the nutrional information on their food trays - it's just that nowadays they're talking more about it. Lifestyles have become more health conscious as well so it was a natural progression to introduce healthy options.
    The only impact the movie may have had was that, shortly after its release, McDonalds halted the production of its extra large meals in the U.S.
    Yes, sitting around doing nothing isn't particularly good for you, no matter what you eat. But sitting around doing nothing and eating only McDonald's is a damn sight worse for you.
    Agreed but, seriously, can there be anyone in a First World country like the U.S. - where information is there for you to avail of - be unaware that fast food isn't healthy living? There's such a thing as responsibility, cop on, or maybe just settle for gross stupidity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Achilles wrote:
    *Sniffs* I smell a warez monkey.... *sniff sniff* Nah only joking, probably saw it in america whilst on hols or something.

yes thats it.... I saw it while in America :rolleyes:
    looks like a good film but i does feel like it may fuel that whole McD's made us fat thing the yanks had goin on a while ago
    (Not to generalise I'm aware it was only one group of fat kids in america)

it does not promote this tbh
    But it does point out some interesting facts

The whole thing of sueing McD's is retarted, it does however point out just how unhealthy there food is and that as scary as it is people DO eat it everyday some even eat it for almost ever meal just like in SuperSizeMe

tbh its a scary thing to see

Achilles wrote:
    No constantly eating McDonalds makes you fat... if yer sensible you'll only eat fast food in serious moderation...

hehe funny you should say that, in SuperSizeMe he eats 3 meals at day for 30 days thats 90 helpings of McD's food
    The Nutricianists he contacts advise that this amount of McD's should be eaten in 8 years :D

so yes you could say moderation...

Yeah although that said *burps* i've just eaten a curry, and i order a small curry special thingy about once every four or five days so, i'm not really one to talk am i? I'm like that preacher dude who was talking about how everyone is evil and should be purged of sin on the tv in the US a while back, then got done for picking up prostitutes ;) ok bad analogy, but still, ya know what i mean. Yeah... on hols in america was it? Hrm... yeah, i've visited that Nova place a few times myself, it's Super!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Cabaal wrote:
    The whole thing of sueing McD's is retarted, it does however point out just how unhealthy there food is and that as scary as it is people DO eat it everyday some even eat it for almost ever meal just like in SuperSizeMe
    McDonald's is not that bad compared to other fast food places like burger king (have you seen the greese coming out of those burgers!!). Anyone who's going to eat 90 fast food meals in a month is f*cked, it doesn't matter where the place is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

True. You can really feel the difference when you cook fresh food for yourself.

Had a look at the nutritional info on a microwaveable lasagne before. The protein content is less than that of bread!! Needless to say that was the last time I ever ate one of those.

Advertisement