Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa

• 05-08-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

Anyone been? Im taking in a safari then driving the garden route. Any ideas on good places to stop along the way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Hey,
    i was there last september.
    we did a safari in kruger national park and then flew into cape town.
    we drove along the garden route, definate place to stay a few days is Knyna.
    Its lovely, we staying in log cabin type things which were cheap and really nice.
    its near addo elephant park where you can go and feed the eleys.
    Its a fab place to go, we stayed in b&b's mostly, they're about the same price as here or there are lots of hostels too.
    anymore questions, just pm me

:D

Im really jealous too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Not sure if you have time for it, but if you do then go to Malealea in lesotho and do the 4 day pony trek across the mountains - we did it about 3 years back and it was almost life changing!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've been there for the last two years and there's a few nice places to stay along the Garden Route, Knysna being one already mentioned. Depending on the time of year, Hermanus (not too far off the route) is one of the best places in South Africa to go whale watching. In fact if you're as lucky as we were you only need to look out the window of the place you stay in to see some. There's not much else there so it's only worth one night. Plettenberg Bay is definitely worth stopping off in. It's very relaxed and accommodation is pretty cheap. There are excellent beaches there and it's a great place to chill.

Further along is Mossel Bay, which isn't too far from Knysna. It's not a bad place, but not as pretty as Knysna. Worth staying a night if you want to break up your journey, which you might well do as it's a long trip from Plett without anywhere worthwhile to stay in before here. Swellendam is a nice, if somewhat sleepy, old town. There's a cafe at the end of the town (beside the river) called La Belle Alliance that's not bad for lunch, but that's nearly it. Just drive past Riversdale, don't even bother coming off the main road to see what it's like - it's really not worth it.

From Mossel Bay or Knysna you can do a day trip to the Kango Caves, near Oudtshoorn, which are worth a look. It's an amazing country and the people are brilliant. I defy nyone not to have a good time there.

PM me if there's anything else I can help you with.

Advertisement