Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reregistered .ie Domains gone awol

Options
  • 05-08-2004 3:23pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a client who has over the last year or two registered 6 .ie domains for companys of his with the same name. Apparently they were paid for and with some, the auto-renewal was set for two years. Apparently, money has been taken off of the clients credit cards for the renewals but he has not had 3 of the domains for a while now. One of them is not listed in the DR database whilst the other two are listed to other owners.
    Apparently he has been 'talking' with both IEDR and his host/re-seller for a while now (with no results) and I just wanted to investigate a bit.
    Anyone come accross this before and where does he stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

What do you mean "he has not had 3 of the domains for a while now" ? did they expire or he just doesnt have access to them,should he have access to them, what does the company you bought them off say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

kbannon wrote:
    I have a client who has over the last year or two registered 6 .ie domains for companys of his with the same name. Apparently they were paid for and with some, the auto-renewal was set for two years. Apparently, money has been taken off of the clients credit cards for the renewals but he has not had 3 of the domains for a while now. One of them is not listed in the DR database whilst the other two are listed to other owners.
    Apparently he has been 'talking' with both IEDR and his host/re-seller for a while now (with no results) and I just wanted to investigate a bit.
    Anyone come accross this before and where does he stand?
    Get legal advice straight away. The problem is complicated in that the hosting company stands between the client and IEDR. Your client has to establish where the funds from his plastic went and if they went to IEDR to pay for the renewals etc and if IEDR made any attempt to contact your client prior to deleting and reregistering (if that is what happened) the domains.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

he is considering a solicitor and has been in touch with his host (not going to name them here!) but from what Im told, the domains did not lapse but were in fact paid for when the renewal bill was issued (I think from IEDR).
    I just wanted to find out if this was a new problem or has it happened before?
    I'll find out more specifics and let ye all know.
    K.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sposs wrote:
    What do you mean "he has not had 3 of the domains for a while now" ? did they expire or he just doesnt have access to them,should he have access to them, what does the company you bought them off say?
    He renewed them but shortly found out that he had no control over them as they were registered to a different owner with different admin/tech details. He has & still is effectively paying for domains registered to other people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It sounds a little confusing. If the client is the owner of the domain he should be the admin-c and have control over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

kbannon wrote:
    he is considering a solicitor and has been in touch with his host (not going to name them here!) but from what Im told, the domains did not lapse but were in fact paid for when the renewal bill was issued (I think from IEDR).
    I just wanted to find out if this was a new problem or has it happened before?
    I'll find out more specifics and let ye all know.
    K.
    The paper trail is important - get as much paperwork as possible to back this up and then suggest that the client has a professional chat with IEDR over this. It may be just some corruption in IEDR's database. The introduction of nic handles was a bit fscked up initially. If IEDR's gone and reregistered domains that were paid for, the solution seems straightforward.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement