Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a warning.

Options
  • 08-04-2001 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who don't bother to read the news in Tribes when you get the game.

If you have an offensive or racist nickname or tribes name then Sierra will ban your account. This means that you will never be able to play online without purchasing another key. LAN games wills still work though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Surely that's counter productive? All it'll promote is people going back to the shop and swapping in their T2 (didn't we agree that was a "bad thing" ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

think I'd get away with "Sierrasuckbighairyargentinianfloppydonkeydick"?

and I dont think games shops swop games at all smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

How is it counterproductive? If your incapable of picking a name then you shouldn't be playing.

I should point out they allow cursing in your private tribes forum, just not as a player or tribes name.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Some Tribes were Disbanded
    Posted by: QIX|DEV|

While the community was down, we reviewed the tribes that had been created so far. The vast majority of them were totally fine, but a few (about nine) were in violation of the T2 Communication Policy (see the News article at the bottom of the list).

All of those tribes, with the exception of one, had only a single member. All of those tribes (even the one with more than one member) were disbanded.

Because the T2 Communication Policy is written fairly broadly, I just want you to know a few specifics that will get your tribe name banned if you insist on naming a tribe that way:
    1) Racism
    2) Using one of the "seven taboo words" in the name (and you know what those are, so I don't need to list them)
    3) Crass sexuality (reference to phallic parts or express acts)

You can say whatever you choose within the private forums and chat areas of your tribe...but the tribal page itself (and the name of that tribe) are public areas and the Communication Policy has to be enforced there.

Just wanted you to understand why there were a few disbandings. This is an even-handed policy and will be enforced across the board with no exceptions.</font>

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 08-04-2001).]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

dam those sierra people are strict

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Strict? thats **** , if your dumb enough to pick a name that fits that bill, then tough ****. Pity they didnt go farther and ban people with names like 'l33tsniper' smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hunter px1

what happens if you name is really dick??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

This could spell trouble for a HIV tribe smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    think I'd get away with "Sierrasuckbighairyargentinianfloppydonkeydick"?

and I dont think games shops swop games at all smile.gif
    </font>

Swap as in run back to game store, go hey this copy of T2 doesn't work, I think somebody already stole the CD key or something, give me a new copy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    How is it counterproductive? If your incapable of picking a name then you shouldn't be playing.
    (edited 08-04-2001).]
    </font>

It's counter productive in that (for the time being at least while people's copies of T2 are still under some kind of warranty) people will just bring their banned copy of T2 back to the shop and say it doesn't work and get a new copy with a new key

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

OK, so someone does something stupid and has a bold name. Is there a way for them to talk to Sierra to release the CD Key after a punishment date and a promise not to do it again (you never know when a little brother/sister might get a hold of a machine and act the bollix!!!)?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

Thats unfair on anyone just messing about, I didn't know that so what would I have done if i used a offensive name :/ I wouldn't go out and buy a new half-life just get it the CD-key off someone I know who never playes or can't play biggrin.gif

and how many times can they pull that stunt?

Actually the store has to ring Serria to ask for the discount and they will tell them the account was actually banned. Likewise Serria can tell them how many people registered that account and where.

Getting another account... so what, odds on the person will do the exact same thing again and get banned again. How many times do you think you could return a game and get a new one and expect to get away with it?

What they are doing is committing fraud and more blatantly so. If they were in the mood they could press charges and get them too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    and how many times can they pull that stunt?

Actually the store has to ring Serria to ask for the discount and they will tell them the account was actually banned. Likewise Serria can tell them how many people registered that account and where.
    </font>

They don't do that while you're standing at the counter demanding a replacement copy though
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    What they are doing is committing fraud and more blatantly so. If they were in the mood they could press charges and get them too.
    </font>

You pay for a service, that service is disabled because of something that isn't on any agreement or license the user is privvy to (e.g. on the box, I am presuming they don't mention the naughty name thing there), the least you should expect is a refund, I doubt any court of law will do you for fraud anyway.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They don't do that while you're standing at the counter demanding a replacement copy though
    </font>

True, but if one person pulls that stunt then guess what happens? The stores are warned and they change the code so that the CD always has to be in the drive... whoops they are doing that next patch!

It's like Ultima Online (in the US), when it came out the stores were told not to accept returns without full details about the person. Also the replacement copy Barcode could be referenced to the new player so they knew if the person was banned, they stayed banned.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You pay for a service, that service is disabled because of something that isn't on any agreement or license the user is privvy to </font>

Ever notice when you install that software there is a big license agreement you have to agree to install it. Try reading them sometime. You'll see that it clearly states that which they will ban you for.

Advertisement