Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Request) Cheap MP3 Player in New York

• 05-08-2004 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Hi,
    I have a friend goinf to NY next week and was thinking of investing in an mp3 player(10GB+). Anyone know of any good places to get one?

Thanks

Comments

I got my Mp3 player 40gb Nomad Zen Xtra in J&R for €255 Good shop good website great prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I got my last two digital cameras in J&R for €alotlessthanhere Good shop good website great prices

I've priced a lot of stuff cheaper at J&R than anywhere else. If your friend is going to be walking past their front door, let him/her buy it there. More you spend, more you save... :D

be incredibly careful though, i bought my Zen on the 26th march for €255 thought it was a great deal (it was). last week the jukebox fell from my bed (a normal sized bed) onto carpeted ground below it. The thing is now fukced and extensive e-mailing with Creative has revealed that since both in America warranty lasts only 90 days. The price i was quoted to fix it is

€219.19

boo hoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

be incredibly careful though, i bought my Zen on the 26th march for €255 thought it was a great deal (it was). last week the jukebox fell from my bed (a normal sized bed) onto carpeted ground below it. The thing is now fukced and extensive e-mailing with Creative has revealed that since both in America warranty lasts only 90 days. The price i was quoted to fix it is

€219.19

boo hoo

Make sure you pick up the leaflets outside before going in, you usually get money off vouchers on them.

I too bought my zen (20GB) last year in J&R. About 2 months later it broke. I rang Creative Ireland and told them what happened. I said I bought it in the US, they said fine, fax over the reciept for proof of purchase, got an email back with instructions to send it back to them and 1 week later had my new zen.

Was never asked how old it was etc.. I'd ring up again and see if you get somebody different and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

€219.19

boo hoo

I went through the same thing with my Zen, except it took a 10ft drop on to concrete :p Once the Zen takes a tumble while switched on, it usually means curtains, it's not a design flaw either, same thing happens with iPod and all other HD based mp3 players. Assuming that you're getting the 'Hard disk error' message when you start the Zen and that you're trying to escape paying that ridiculous charge, you can do three things:

1. Open the bugger up, remove the HD, crack the HD open and take a gander at it. Often the problem with Fujitsu HD's (Zen's always use those jobbies) is that the disk arm can 'jump' and get locked into position, all that's need is a wee nudge and she should work fine. Sometimes though the disk arm can make contact with the disc and bugger it up. Since the drive won't work anyway, you surely have nothing to do lose?

2. Still broken after step 1? Well, try getting a new HD for it! The drives used for it are common enough Fujitsu's (model type MHT and MHS) and can be obtained for €100 or so (I tried Creative to see if they'd sell me the drive used in the Zen, they said no but would repair it for the figure that you quoted :( ). You could try disks from other manufacturers, apparently as long as they're 4200RPM drives, you shouldn't have a problem, I've only ever used Fujitsu's so you do that at your own risk.

3. If none of the above suit you, then you could sell me the Zen, better than chucking it out or leaving it in a dusty drawer. At very worst, I can use internal battery as a spare. I'd offer to fix it for you, I have fixed two of these HD's before (one for a friend after I fixed mine), even repaired the dodgy backlight on my own model. I'd be a little reluctant to do it though, if things go belly-up, I wouldn't want to be responsible.

Even with all the hassle that my Zen has given me over the years I'm still really pleased with it. I'm so familar with the insides now that I can probably even keep it going for another 20 years :D

Give me a PM or something if you've any queries or sctuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement