Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your local cash machine empty yet?

Options
  • 05-08-2004 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it just media hype about a run on cash and the economy grinding to a halt thanks to the Brinks Allied strike? Or is there about to be a major problem?

The machine at the NIB branch on Lower Baggot St is out of service now - but that is not very unusual...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We're ****ed!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Just wondering is it just media hype about a run on cash and the economy grinding to a halt thanks to the Brinks Allied strike? Or is there about to be a major problem?

The machine at the NIB branch on Lower Baggot St is out of service now - but that is not very unusual...

Shops do cashback....and plenty of the in-store machines are filled by the store itself (e.g. the Spar near me).

DOesn't make much difference as you'd be mad to queue for an ATM in Temple Bar on a Friday night anyway.......

What I would like to know is I will be refunded any of the charges paid to use ATMs...surely it's cost us all at least 10c anyway given the 40e a year charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

There are also ATM's which are filled by securicor or however its spelt. ATM's in actual branchs are stocked by staff as well although they get the cash from Brinks I think. Its not so bad ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why would you be refunded the ATM cost? You're only charged if money is withdrawn, you're not charged if the ATM is out of service or if you're just checking your balance.
    I mean....they all say 'Out of service' are you still putting your card in? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

A trader told me this morning that the banks will actually make greater profits if, as they recommend, we all use "cashback" instead of ATMs.

He said the banks charge shopkeepers 19 cent for every cash back transaction in addition to charging consumers 19 cent for the service. So the banks make almost double what they would get if we went to an ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

eth0_ wrote:
    Why would you be refunded the ATM cost? You're only charged if money is withdrawn, you're not charged if the ATM is out of service or if you're just checking your balance.
    I mean....they all say 'Out of service' are you still putting your card in? lol

It's going to put the poor folk who fiddle the ATM machines with false readers and cameras out of business though. Where are they going to be able to copy and scan ATM cards....unless it's a well organised conspiracy by the banks to stop ATM machine fraud!!!!!!ARGH!!!!

Advertisement