Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless with ripwave

• 05-08-2004 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm going to get the RIPWAVE broadband. The ripwave moden has an ethernet port. What would be the easiest way to hook it up to an access point. Would it be possible to just plug in the access point to the modem and use the laptops wireless card to connect to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aidankenny

This is exactly how I have my Wireless network setup. I have the Ripwave modem connected via Ethernet to a Netgear WGRG14v4 Broadband Router. I connect to the Router from my laptop using 802.11g. Everything is working great. No problems. Was connected in 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 555

What's the quality of service like (bandwidth, latency etc.)?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

555 wrote:
    What's the quality of service like (bandwidth, latency etc.)?
    I have clear line of sight to the transmitter (not requied for Ripwave), but I am at the outer limit of the service area, according to their maps.

Throughput ranges from 35KB/sec to 50KB/s (only on a very good day!). Latency is very disappointing - ping times to the transmitter start at 90ms and work their way up from there.

With a clean, strong signal, pings will vary by 10 or 15% over 30 pings - from 90 to 120ms to ping IBB, for example. When the signal strength is lower, there's a lot more variability, with occassional spikes over 200ms.

IBB recently had a day long outage (they said there was a problem allocating IP addresses, which seems to make sense, given that my firewall logs that day showed short periods of connectivity, interspersed with long periods on nothing). For a week after that, the signal strength was much better than it had ever been, as though someone had ramped up the power on the transmitter while trying to sort out the problem, and then forgotten to turn it down again. I got 45k-50k download speeds consistently that week. One morning last week, the system was down again when I went to work, and when I got home, the signal strength indicator on the modem was back at it's previous level, and downloads were back at 35k.

If you don't have any other broadband options, and you can get Ripwave, it'll do - but if you have any other options, Ripwave probably isn't going to be the best choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I have just switched over my ripwave from USB to Ethernet I am getting 47KB/sec to 48KB/sec not much jumping up and down which shows the Ethernet has a cleaner line. I live quite close to 3 rock and the only thing between my house and the transmitter is a few trees and chimney pots.

Advertisement