Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Typical car insurance costs?

Options
  • 05-08-2004 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭

Am planning on putting myself down as a named driver on my parents' AXA insurance. The (insert your favourite expletive)s won't give me so much as a quote till I've 10 lessons done. How much can I expect the quote to be? It's really frustrating not being able to practice between lessons. I'm 22 y/o btw, the car is a renault megane 1.4litre. Will the quote be signifigantly cheaper than say a quote from Hibernian on the same car but not as a named driver? I've heard an 18 year old first time driver got a quote of €3,000 on his own car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cant comment on the spesifics I'll just say there is no such thing as typical beyond expensive. There's a thread round here somewhere with lots of scary numbers on it. Found it

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Check out this thread for a general survey about how much people are paying, posts near the start of the thread may be dated at this point.

The quote shouldn't be overly extortionate given that it is for a named driver, and the fact that they are forcing you to do the lessons, however it would seem to be bad practice not to give you an indication of how much you can expect to pay once you have completed the lessons. I would attempt again to get such an indication from them.

If it is anywhere near the renewal time for your parent's insurance then I would consider waiting until that date and asking them to consider switching to another company or broker who would not enforce that condition upon you. The price of ten lessons can significantly inflate the real cost of what you are paying to get insured, though of course you do benefit from the tutelage.

Personally I have found AXA to be useless, I was with them for my first two years on my own policy and the renewal went up, year on year, despite my circumstances staying the same, so I left and haven't regretted it.

For prices of your own policy go to any of the major insurance companies websites and attempt to get a quote. I don't expect the results will make for pretty reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭roundcrisis

well they told me the same, 10 lessons stuff, and it s pretty annoying cause u really don t know if you r gonna do the lessons and then they will tell you something you just cant afford
    Is there anything to do about this?

Advertisement