Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats town like at night time ?

• 05-08-2004 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

never really went out to town much, started going out around the time of uni so its usually around uni, local club/pub slash whatnot. By night time i mean late night ofcourse.

I'm getting 2 views here, some say its fine unless your walking down dark alley ways, while some say its dangeous and give me weird stories (oh my friend of a friend of a friend's uncle got stabbed), quite familiar with town so i dont think il be taking short cuts from grafton street or anything.

Also the story with nightlinks ? i'm more into a rock scene so not all my friends living close to me are not gonna go so i would have to make my own way back, one friend says nightlinks are grand, he gets the 39 route one, me - i'd be getting the 37 one, one of my mates is quite a regular on it(the 37) and says its quite racist? and not a good idea.

Dont know what to believe, just get a taxi ? 12-15 euro ride home, bah humbug. Its not like ive never been, ive been a few times but thats usually with a larger group, trouble comes rarely then but going home alone etc.

i am not posting this in personal issues, its not an issue or an urgent cry for help, just need to know so i can get out more rather than taking rounds at the same old club non stop. Which IS pop orientated by the way.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Never had a problem in town ever...

Mind you I am 6'2 and a big lad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Never had trouble into aswell, only ever seen one fight. i am 5'8 and failrly small aswell. :D

i think its a case of if you want trouble in town you can get it easily, but its also just as easy to aovid imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Well my Cousin got murdered for no reason walking home with his father after a night out so thats how i think of town at night would a void it at all costs full of drugged up nackers who should be locked up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As long as you keep to the right places there is no problem in town. As for Nitlelinks, they are a good way of getting home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hmm - I hear the stories about town too and I ought to be worried. However, I lived on Pearse St for three years and down around Grand Canal St for the last year and I've never seen so much as a fight. I know I've been lucky, and if I was a girl I'd probably take even fewer chances, but the Nightlinks are in a well lit area, and as long as you don't do anything foolish (dark alleyways and the like) town is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Never had problems myself. Lived here pretty much all my life and i walk home all the time (i live in the city centre pretty much so its at most a 20 minute walk home). So as long as you use some common sense you'll be fine. As far as i know the Nite Links are pretty good (well according to my mates in anyways).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Just make sure you walk in a group round town. I don't like the Nitelink at all. Too many drunken people people etc. Most of them end up smoking on the bus which really pisses me off - I'm a smoker myself, btw.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea, as the man said, just stay in a group

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Never had a bother, never even seen a fight. Used the Nitelinks for years - again never a bother. If you want that added lair of comfort (i.e. to avoid the smokers and more drunken louts) ensure you sit downstairs on the Nitelink home.
    I've now lived slap bang in the city centre for over a year and often walked home under the merry effects of alcohol - even down streets with noone there. Never had a spot of bother and at a thin 5'7", I'm not the most imposing of men (only the most brilliant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Never had problems myself. Lived here pretty much all my life and i walk home all the time (i live in the city centre pretty much so its at most a 20 minute walk home). So as long as you use some common sense you'll be fine. As far as i know the Nite Links are pretty good (well according to my mates in anyways).

Ditto.

Just avoid O'Connell st. Given the choice of walking through a crowded O'Connell St. or an empty Henry St. I always choose the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i've never had trouble in town, (i'm 6'3) and only once seen trouble on a nightlink (46n)

99% of people want to have a good time, it's the 1% who give town a bad name,

dont let it put you off, but it's safer to travel in group's...

my parents dont like me getting the nightlink for some reason, and insist i get a taxi (about 25€) i dont, i just get the nightlink, and there none the wiser...

I think you are getting the gist of it:

Stay in groups
    Avoid dodgy areas
    Get the Nitelink at home and sit downstairs

Enjoy yourself, but use common sense and that includes in your drinking, not just from when you leave the pub or wherever you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Getting on as I am in my years, I usually got the earlier night link and found it very relaxing,(apart from the odd sick puddle) I got the 77N....to Tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ok thanks for the input, aslong as we are all revealing our ages, i am 19 for the record, not really tall or "well built" or anything.
    Stay in groups ? thats the problem there, il go in with friends but then they get their nightlinks and i get mine...
    Doesnt sound too bad, sorry to hear about your cousin The Real B-man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Never had a problem in town ever...

Mind you I am 6'2 and a big lad..

I knew a guy who was 6'6" - 6'7" who was beaten to a pulp on his way home from the pub. Apparently 4 of them got out of a car and attacked him for no reason. Maybe they picked on him because of this size - he was a challenge?

However I've lived here most of my life and have only been assaulted in town at night about four or five times (nothing serious - usually just some drunk who can't aim his punches).

Mostly you are ok - but it helps to have a good skanger detection and avoidance device installed between your ears :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just keep your wits about ye and you'll be fine. I've walked home from town a few times after nights on the gargle (and it's a long walk to Deans Grange). Cross the road if you see someone/a group that look like trouble makers, be aware of where you are and what's going on around you and 20/30 feet in front of you. The 46N is fine, I've never had any problems on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've lived in Fairview, and East Wall.. and have walked home from town countless times to both places.. both in groups and on my own.

I've never encountered any problems (touch wood), and in fact have just bought an apartment up near Parnell St.

Having said that, I do know some people who've been mugged.

A lot of it is down to pure luck, or lack of it, IMO. I'm by no means a big guy (5'8" and not stocky at all), so I fall into the former catagory so far (again touch wood).

One thing I will say about town at night - It stinks! Fast food joints, vomit, p*ss, girls stale perfume, it all mixes up together and make a deeeelightful odour..

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think the Nitelink is the best thing if you are traveling home from town on your own. And if anything bad does happen, then at least it's all on camera so you can prosecute at a later date.

If you a female, then getting a taxi on your own is a bad idea. There are some pretty big scumbag taxi drivers out there. And any fights I've seen in town have started at taxi ranks anyway, as there is always some idiots who try to skip.

I never go near a taxi rannk. If it is a nice night you could even walk home, depending on where you live of course. If I am in town and there is no Nitelink available I'd start walking and try and flag down a taxi on the way. Standing at a taxi rank is a mugs game. You'd be waiting for ages and in that time you'd probably have walked half way home, and if you had done and got a taxi then, you'd be home quicker and for half the fare. Even if there is no Nitelink, I never wait at a taxi rank, because of the safety risks too. I always start walking and sometimes you get to the point where it is hardly worth getting a taxi. I live about 6 miles from town. After a few pints it is a great way of sobering you up too! :)

ok , i am male though, that changes the prespective a bit, so it is danegrous but ye gota have a scanger radar, ive one of those, all in working order.
    thanks for the input people, still not to sure if its a good idea to go out in town regularly, which is what id like to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Jesus christ, it's only going out in town to get drunk, don't make such a huge deal over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've never had trouble in town. That's when living in Fairview. On the other hand I've been to a friend's flat in Rathmines a few times and I'm always fearful walking home from there, so many gangs hanging around on the way home. Especially if I've brought the bike, have to stay to the centre of the road or people will make a go at me. (Always scared since that incident where a guy was comatized after falling off his bike and being set upon).

Well should you be going into town "to get drunk"? That in itself might make you more likely to get embroiled in trouble, not that you would be the instigator. If you are drinking to get drunk then maybe you should not be drinking. A night out is more enjoyable if you have a few drinks but keep reasonably sober. A good drinker is someone who knows when to stop, not the person who can drink the most. Drinking to get drunk is a bit like driving in the hope of crashing. Being sensible on a night out is not just knowing not to walk down a dark alley alone late at night. The best nights you have out have enough drink to make you relax, but not too much, enough to have fun without going wild and then being able to get home safely and wake up with a fairly clear head and being able to remember the good night you had. Commonsense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Placebo wrote:
    Stay in groups ? thats the problem there, il go in with friends but then they get their nightlinks and i get mine...
    Doesnt sound too bad, sorry to hear about your cousin The Real B-man.

Then that's no problem, I mean if there is trouble it's usually outside the night link when theres alot of drunk people standing around. That said the only trouble I ever saw was after a st andrew's (on of hte most eleet private schools in ireland) graduation party in coyote. they poored out of the place trying to slap each other and shouting abuse at women on the bus. very tempted to get off the bus and crack a head or two, but thought better of it. Thats about it as far as town goes. My advise is avoid standing around outside pubs or clubs after they close, once you do that your usually grand. Also getting a TAXI isn't as safe as you may think. The stops tend be less well lite then the night link stop.

irlirishkev, thats poor luck that nothing has ever happened to you walking back the route you came. I can think of four pub's I wouldn't walk pass at closing time on that route and I've lived there all my life. One in particular has at least one violent assult outside it every weekend.

The later Nitelinks are the ones that have the trouble. The earlier ones have less people and they are usually more sober, though you still get some trouble occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Thank you for telling me how to drink Flukey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Flukey wrote:
    Well should you be going into town "to get drunk"? That in itself might make you more likely to get embroiled in trouble, not that you would be the instigator. If you are drinking to get drunk then maybe you should not be drinking. A night out is more enjoyable if you have a few drinks but keep reasonably sober. A good drinker is someone who knows when to stop, not the person who can drink the most. Drinking to get drunk is a bit like driving in the hope of crashing. Being sensible on a night out is not just knowing not to walk down a dark alley alone late at night. The best nights you have out have enough drink to make you relax, but not too much, enough to have fun without going wild and then being able to get home safely and wake up with a fairly clear head and being able to remember the good night you had. Commonsense really.

Sponsored by DiaGeo.

What the fúck? Who are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

i live on the 37/39 route and i often walk home from town. i havn't been on the nitelink for a while, but used to be a regular. I have never had any trouble (6'1, 20st, beard!) , and I have never seen anyone else being hassled

as everyone else said, keep the radar up, don't get smart with anyone and use the nitelink. if you are wasted, get a taxi if only for the sake of the other people on the bus. nothing worse than playing the "is he going to puke all over my shoes " game all the way home.

the chances of getting into trouble on the way home are slim, so go out and enjoy yourself as much as possible.

How come everyone is so eager to tell how big a man they are? I'm 7ft 11 and 15 stone. I have a big beard and I look evil.

Doesn't really matter what size ye are. If a scumbag or bunch of them want to start on ye they will. I've seen the biggest of dudes receive whuppings and the smallest little feckers dish them out. There's no need to tell everyone how big ye are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

How come everyone is so eager to tell how big a man they are? I'm 7ft 11 and 15 stone. I have a big beard and I look evil.

LOL Funny! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I avoid town these days, more so because there's a good few places in Swords to go to, and town is just to much hassle distance wise.

Any time that i've had to go into town for a spacific occassion like crimbo etc., I've always managed to stay clear of any trouble, but any time I have seen other people getting hassle its ethier:

A. Locked out of there head, mouthing off

B. Somebody who looks different or sticks out, like above with the really tall person

Scanger radar does help, passive rather that active

Loon, I am just an ordinary guy who enjoys a pint just as much as anyone as I am sure do. I am not any sort of killjoy. It is just terrible to see people totally pissed falling around the place or lying on the side of the road where anything could happen to them. I've seen some nasty and needless situations because people have gone out and got totally plastered. They'd enjoy themselves a lot more if they knew how to drink and be a lot safer. None of us want to hear of someone getting injured or worse because they got plastered or of some friend being set upon by someone or a gang who were stocious. You can have a lot of fun having a few drinks and getting a little drunk, but not totally out of your mind. The A+E dept in a hospital on a weekend night is not a pretty place and a lot of the people there would not be there if they had used a bit of cop on. They could be still out enjoying themselves. All I am saying is go out and have a few drinks by all means, but do it with a bit of commonsense and you'll get a lot more out of it. Is there anything wrong with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Scumbags don't think clearly, they're rabid animals, not people. Don't try to look for sense in what they do. They'll attack big guys, small guys, women, it doesn't matter.

I'm always careful when I'm in town. I've seen people start fights with others mid-day, in the evening they're just drunker/angrier.
    Watch yourself and you should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Flukey wrote:
    That's pretty much how I see it aswell, I just don't understand what people get out of being completely legless... I've seen people who're so drunk they don't even know where they are or how to get home... I'd hate to get in that state, especially in town with friends who mightn't be in any fit state to look after you.
    Well my Cousin got murdered for no reason walking home with his father after a night out so thats how i think of town at night would a void it at all costs full of drugged up nackers who should be locked up!!
    Sorry to hear it B-man, that's terrible :(
    That's the kind of thing that'd drive you to dedicate your life to vigilantism... purging randomly violent scumbags from the earth. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if your looking for trouble, you'll find it - you can still find it even when your not looking for it. just avoid people who are abviously scumbags and you should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You'd be amased what a little cop-on will do for you.
    26years, and never had any hassle in town - ever.
    If someone shouts abuse at you, which is unlikly, walk away.

It is good to see I am not alone in my views. I might have been set upon! :)

It is not rocket sicence. Just use a bit of commonsense and go out and have a good time and get home safe. That is all any of us want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Flukey wrote:
    LMFAO Are you sh1tting me? Go out and get blotto. If you can't walk in a straight line - you won't remember the whopping you got the next morning and put all injurys down to "being drunk" it's a win win situation.

Always remember - when time is called in the pub - it is your responsibility as a MAN to get to the bar ASAP, get a round, and get a round of aftershock (with 2 for your good self).

Zulu wrote:
    LMFAO Are you sh1tting me? Go out and get blotto. If you can't walk in a straight line - you won't remember the whopping you got the next morning and put all injurys down to "being drunk" it's a win win situation.

Always remember - when time is called in the pub - it is your responsibility as a MAN to get to the bar ASAP, get a round, and get a round of aftershock (with 2 for your good self).

Ha ha. Classic.

Flukey.... your post was just very preachey. That's all. I don't disagree with you really... but generally telling young drinkers to drink responsibly is pointless. That's the problem with this country. It's embed into our culture. You'll find that 90% of 17 - 25 year olds would laugh at your post on drinking sensibly. Not that you're wrong, it's just amusing.

I dislike going into town strongly. Puke all over the shop, drunk English twats who can't handle their beer. Loud English hen night parties wreckin the buzz. Power tripping bouncer idiots. Over priced beer which tastes like píss. Drunk Irish twats who can't handle their beer, and scum all over the shop. Being stuck trying to get a taxi for fookin hours.... the list goes on and on and on.

Sessions in a gaff are the way to go.

I have had a few nights where I was the worse for wear alright Zulu, don't you worry and a lot of them have been great nights. I never go out to get drunk though, which is the difference, whereas some people do, thinking it is the right thing to do or even the objective. Normally it is OK, but it can end in disastrous consequences and I've seen a few of them and know of others I can tell you. Going over the top once in a while is fine, but doing it everytime you go out is ridiculous and a total waste of a good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

Dr. Loon wrote:

Doesn't really matter what size ye are. If a scumbag or bunch of them want to start on ye they will. I've seen the biggest of dudes receive whuppings and the smallest little feckers dish them out. There's no need to tell everyone how big ye are!

was not bragging about my dimensions! it's not my fault i look like sasquatch. sorry. i didn't mean to intimidate you :D

With a few drinks on him you'll not be seen as any sort of threat. :)

Ok guys, lmao some funny **** in the last page, just to clairfy, used to drink, dont drink much or at all anymore, going out for good music etc might have 1 or 2 wont be getting "plastered/locked/smashed/whatnot" thanks for the advice though, only reason i posted this is because one of my friends is in a big techno scene and hes always getting the nightlink home (same one i'd be gett'in) and he said its very racist and whatnot, so thought i ask, doesnt seem too bad of a place, its the same situation everywhere else tbh. thanks for the input and il try and get an earlier nightlink rather than very late AND last but not least
    there is no freaking 37 !
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=39N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Ha ha. Classic.

Flukey.... your post was just very preachey. That's all. I don't disagree with you really... but generally telling young drinkers to drink responsibly is pointless. That's the problem with this country. It's embed into our culture. You'll find that 90% of 17 - 25 year olds would laugh at your post on drinking sensibly. Not that you're wrong, it's just amusing.

I used to work with a lot of foreigners; they were aghast at the Irish habit of heading to the pub straight after work and necking pints without any food with it until it's closing time or you fall over whichever comes first. "This is the way only alcoholics drink in my country" one guy told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pork99 wrote:
    I used to work with a lot of foreigners; they were aghast at the Irish habit of heading to the pub straight after work and necking pints without any food with it until it's closing time or you fall over whichever comes first. "This is the way only alcoholics drink in my country" one guy told me.

Yes, but I'm sure that in thier countries that they don't have to live under the constant fear of closing time.

We drink like that because we know that at 11.30 people are going to start shouting at us to stop drinking and go home.

Thank God I'm going to Spain on Sunday... where you can take your time with your drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I work on the principle that confidence will protect you, and if it gets out of hand, your feet can do the rest (run like hell). TBH though, if you are just walking it is unlikely anyone will want to fight you.

Taxis are a good idea. But dont queue, start walking home. The fare gets cheaper as you walk and its far better than waiting in a queue. Stay on a main avenue into town though so you can be seen by taxis (to hail), and of course everyone else in the event of trouble.

Loon, I know they won't listen to us, but sure we can but try. You have to get them at an early age. The culture thing is a problem. Anyway I am not going to star preaching again so enough of all this talk of drink. I am going out for some of the real thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

I don't mean to butt in but isn't it pointless to ask "how safe is it?" Some will say "I've lived here all my life and never been murdered." Well, obviously. And those who have been crippled or killed by gangs aren't around to warn you about it. You can't stay shut up all the time after dark but go out and you're gambling with your life. That's the way it is. There's no point in looking for reassurances or depending on the Guards or telling yourself you're 6 foot something. Just ask Trevor Deely. Oh, wait...

pork99 wrote:
    I knew a guy who was 6'6" - 6'7" who was beaten to a pulp on his way home from the pub. Apparently 4 of them got out of a car and attacked him for no reason. Maybe they picked on him because of this size - he was a challenge?

That inspires me with confidence..

Best bet it to just keep a distance from people. If someone approaches me in town I would always prepare myself to react though. So if they do decide to try and swing a punch they dont catch you unawares..

Placebo wrote:
    Ok guys, lmao some funny **** in the last page, just to clairfy, used to drink, dont drink much or at all anymore, going out for good music etc might have 1 or 2 wont be getting "plastered/locked/smashed/whatnot" thanks for the advice though, only reason i posted this is because one of my friends is in a big techno scene and hes always getting the nightlink home (same one i'd be gett'in) and he said its very racist and whatnot, so thought i ask, doesnt seem too bad of a place, its the same situation everywhere else tbh. thanks for the input and il try and get an earlier nightlink rather than very late AND last but not least
    there is no freaking 37 !
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=39N

I picked the racist thing up in your first post...

Are you foreign or coloured or something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement