Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple of changes in Waterford team

• 05-08-2004 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭

Shane O Sullivan replaces John Mullane and Ian (Iggy) O Regan in for Stephan Brenner in the goal.

Excitement building!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Absolutely. I got my ticket today. Upper Hogan! I hope Waterford do the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

from today's examiner...

Déise drop Brenner for young gun O’Regan

By John Murphy
    REGULAR Waterford goalkeeper Stephen Brenner has been dropped for Sunday’s All-Ireland hurling semi-final, the selectors giving the nod to the county U21 netminder, Ian O’Regan.

There’s also a place in the starting line up for the first time in the championship for another member of the U21 team, Shane O’Sullivan, whose brother Billy formerly captained the senior side.

The emerging Ballygunner star, who came on as a sub in the closing stages of the Munster final against Cork, is named at left half forward in a reshuffled attack in which Eoin McGrath is placed at right corner forward in the absence of the suspended John Mullane.

There had been speculation that Brenner could come under pressure after he gifted Cork’s opening goal in the provincial decider, and was also regarded by some as culpable for at least one of Tipperary’s goals in the semi-final.

However, some believed his experience of the big occasion would stand to him, but in the end Justin McCarthy and his fellow selectors came down on the side of O’Regan.

The youngster was first given the call up following a series of brilliant displays with his club, Mount Sion in last year’s domestic campaign.

In fact O’Regan looked set to be first choice until the selectors opted for Brenner at the start of this year’s league campaign. Now he must prove himself on the biggest stage of all.

With Declan Prendergast continuing to hold sway in the full back berth over Tom Feeney, the remainder of the defence all but picked itself.

James Murray and Eoin Murphy will flank Prendergast, with Brian Phelan, captain Ken McGrath, and Tony Browne providing the half-back line which has been hugely influential in the team’s triumphant march to the county’s seventh Munster title win.

The Dave Bennett/Michael Walsh midfield partnership has again been restored, with Seamas Prendergast now taking over leadership of the attack on the ‘40’ from Walsh.

Eoin Kelly, bang in form again, and debutante Shane O’Sullivan will flank the big Ardmore clubman, with Eoin McGrath, Dan Shanahan, and Paul Flynn completing an inside line of vast potential.

However, it won’t be any great surprise if there are positional changes in that attacking sextet when the team lines out on Sunday.

Prendergast could well be the one to move to full-forward with Shanahan being positioned either at wing or centre-forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Micheál O' Muirecheartaigh tipped Waterford on the radio this morning. I hope he is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Depending on which Paul Flynn shows up I think Micheál might be right,

fingers crossed for a Wexford - Waterford final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

Yawn, yawn, yawn. I've been listening to team after team talking up how they are going to beat Kilkenny. The Cork lads in Dublin last year though they had the game won last year before it had even started. Clare thought they had a chance in Thurles last week before they were smothered by Kavanagh, Walsh, Delaney and co. Then the tramp Quinn had to resort to attempting to blind Sheff. Wexford had a lucky last touch in the game where they beat Kilkenny. Waterford will be a nice warmup for the Cats before they face Cork again this September. Respect to the Waterford boys and girls going to the game, enjoy the day........It'll be your last one this year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Darren I think you'll find that the Cats will have to raise their game a few notches this Sunday, and even at that I think they'll find it hard to beat Waterford. 4 games in 4 weeks might prove to be a step too far for them and Waterford are a far tougher prospect this season than last.

And a lucky last touch for Wexford :rolleyes: if the Cats had defended better in that last minute they might have sneaked an undeserved win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It will be tough for Waterford without Mullane, he has been very strong so far this year. Kilkenny will be fairly tired playing for the third consecutive week. Darren you forgot to mention that except for a couple of saves by Mc Garry in the first game against Clare, Waterford would not need to be worrying about Kilkenny at all. Also if Shef can accept that the Gerry Quinn thing was an accident I do not see why the fans are having such a hard time accepting it. I never realised before how bitter Kilkenny fans can be before this year but it should also be pointed out that Wexford beat Kilkenny legitimately and you can attempt as many excuses as you like but Wexford are still the Provincial champions, and deservedly so. I normally am happy enough to see KK win the All Ireland as they are usually the best team around, but fans that think their team have a divine right to trophies p*ss me off. I think this time around I will be cheering for Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Flukey wrote:
    Micheál O' Muirecheartaigh tipped Waterford on the radio this morning. I hope he is right.

Friday 11.50 am Heard liam Griffin on WLR this morning predicting a Waterford victory at Croker

Friday 06.30 pm Heard the same Liam Griffin on Todayfm predicting a Kilkenny victory.

Has something happened during the day I didn't hear about or is it a touch of the politician from the Kilkenny based Wexford hotelier :D

Advertisement