Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiments in vehicle combat.

Options
  • 08-04-2001 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not expert by any means. smile.gif However here are some observations I have found with regards to those pesky missiles.

Normally when you hear the missile lock tone I found it is actually possible to avoid or limit the damage. Btw, these missiles are pretty intelligent smile.gif I saw one miss a ship then turn around and come back.

1. STOP SHOOTING. Can't stress this enough. As soon as you stop shooting your shields regenerate.

2. Head for the hills. Breaking line of sight with the missile helps. head for the ground and fly around the hills.

3. If you manage to break line of sight, stop thrusting (afterburners or pressing forward). This lowers your heat signature.

4. If you can break line of sight then hit afterburners for a while. Make sure you don't drop below half energy. Just before the missle is about to hit, drop your engines thrust completly and hit side step. The missile looses lock for a split second and flies by you.

5. Last trick which is funny. If your in a shrike and chasing a bomber when you hear the missle. Afterburn right up to the bomber then drop your engines and dive. The missile will lock onto the bomber.

6. If your in a grav bike and the surface is flat then hit full afterburners as you can outrun the missile.

7. If you hear the missile tone you have about 1-2 seconds before a lock. Dropping your engines+stop shooting will mess up the locking system as your heat signature drops.

8. In some instances you can outrun a missile (as mentioned the Grav bike has the best chance). The missiles have a limited fuel source.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 08-04-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

another intreasting tactic I dicovered was(taking flying low to the extreme) , its possible to fly bombers, shrikes and transports underwater....
    Poping up enfront of the enemy base in the first capture the flag level..Aplacho..or something, while in a bomber or a transport loaded with juggernaughts can really scare the crap out of the enemy

I'm not saying what Im saying. I'm not thinking what I'm saying. Im not thinking what Im thinking.
    "Then what are you thinking?"
    I think I need a drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The vehicles sound excellent, I can't wait to have a crack at them, I love using vehicles in these first person shooters, anything will be better than the APC in counterstrike smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Everytime I tried to fly underwater I end up crashing. frown.gif

But with the shrike I am able to hide the ship by going under water at slow speed, hitting stop and then ejecting. The ship doesn't float to the top but doesn't show up on radar and leaves some nice bubbles on the top of the water telling you were you left it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

ive got a big post on this in my tribe private forum, ill paste it here later

found it

1. Grav cycle, on water levels like archipelago try and ramp of bumps of land because when the bike goes into the water and bobs out again you get a massive boost of speed (about 50kph).
    <this is how i found out about the one at the bottom>

2. Infiltration, already i see people camping the prime avenues of attack with missile launchers, so i found a way around this and its tricky. Load up your havoc and ease yourself into the water, Deep water only.
    <its VERY hard to do, im starting to get the hang of it i managed to sneak a bomber within 50 metres of the back of the archipelago base>

3. teamwork, the best play i have seen was a bomber at high altitude, the tail gunner dropping flares while the bellygunner used the targeting laser to pinpoint turrets on the enemy base, then on the ground we have 1/2 assault tanks pounding the crap out of targets, with a jericho next to them for defence.
    <of course this is a very rare occurance in a public game>

4. flag runners, they should have a team mate on a gravcycle where applicable, a flag runner shoudl carry a satchel charge, then while running drop the satchel and blow it to hit aany chasers, then get the grav cycle handed off to him or he hands of the flag to the cycle.
    <this has to be super tight, as vehicles dissapear after 20 seconds>

++++VERY IMPORTANT++++++

i dont know how many people have found this out yet but.

lets say you are on archipelago and you are on a grav cycle/assault tank , go to the top of a hill and slowly tip over the edge and try and rocket straight down into the water, you will accelerate all the time you are under water, when the gravcycle/assault tank pops out of the water it will be shot into the air.

at the speed i was going i managed to go from one tower to the opposite one (about 600 metres) those of you who have played will know the towers i mean.

<edits>

[This message has been edited by [SN]JAG (edited 09-04-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

I was just wondering,
    For the vechicles etc.. do u need a joystick or is the keys just fine?
    ta
    morph

banner_left.jpg

[This message has been edited by [-Morpheus-] (edited 09-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

Sure you do, if you don't have a joystick you can't drive any of the vehicles, if you don't have a flight yoke you can't fly any of the planes, and if you don't have 2 joysticks you can't use the jetpack

actually ive discovered the vehicles are deceptivly easy to use, you just have to be careful with your movements,

eg, going down a hill sideways in an assault tank is a quick way to the pearly gates, and doing LOOP-de-LOOPs when under 100metres will cause a nice crater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

It has arrived cya on server tonight lads. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

luckily i have all them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Just incase Oj believed Snaggles Tripe wink.gif no Oj everything is fine without a joystick and easy too smile.gif

Quothe the Raven, "JennyRooba!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I found a great use for the shrike....it helps save your team m8s, in game last night my teams spawn point was starting to be camped by snipers...I went around behind them in a shrike and rammed them off the cliffs they were standing on, into range of the turrets below, they were not impressed but my team found it quite hilarious

I'm not saying what Im saying. I'm not saying what I'm thinking. Im not thinking what Im thinking.
    "Then what are you thinking?"
    I think I need a drink

Advertisement